Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was major debate over the merits of resigning Adams or not but now suddenly he's an Ayr legend!

I didn't debate it

He'll always be a legend to me. I mean a guy who was probably milking cows and driving tractors a few hours before he put Boyd in his back pocket will have a place in my heart.

12 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

There was major debate over the merits of resigning Adams or not but now suddenly he's an Ayr legend!

Only by people who were absolutely wrong.

Beautiful purple faced, bales of hay lifting monster that he is

Image_13_jpg.jpg

33 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Who was debating it, every team needs a big Jamie, not for their footballing abilities nut just to let the other team know they're not going to have it all their own way.

Who was debating it, every team needs a big Jamie, not for their footballing abilities nut just to let the other team know they're not going to have it all their own way.

I questioned resigning him, mainly as we signed Geggan who can do the same job. Absolutely love the guy though, it's probably worth the entertainment value to have him for twenty games a season tbh.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I questioned resigning him, mainly as we signed Geggan who can do the same job. Absolutely love the guy though, it's probably worth the entertainment value to have him for twenty games a season tbh.

You can't have enough players who play with their heart on their sleeve.

Aye I was thinking this. He was getting an awful lot of stick from certain posters.

Like others have mentioned, he's not a footballer but boy do we need him sometimes.

9 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

No middle ground with Adams he's either a legend or liability. For this league he should be a key player if he can stay fit and avoid collecting too many cards along the way. 

55 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

There was a bit of a seethe over Cairney being released and Adams being signed.

Not from me.

12 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

The debate was never about his ability.  Based on his performance on Friday no one would argue with him re-signing, it's his fitness levels over the season that were the concern, particularly with the move to full time training.  If you look at the earlier part of his career, a number of teams stuck with him for long periods of injury as they obviously knew what he could do if fit.  

Adams and Cairney are completely different players to hard to want one over the other.

My gripe with Adams re-signing (if you can it that) is he can't train full time. We couldn't accommodate Meggat, but could Adams. Couple that with not being able to train/play on Astro. 

f**k it, bug man earned his stripes on Friday, hopefully puts in a few shifts like that.

Adams and Cairney are completely different players to hard to want one over the other.
My gripe with Adams re-signing (if you can it that) is he can't train full time. We couldn't accommodate Meggat, but could Adams. Couple that with not being able to train/play on Astro. 
f**k it, bug man earned his stripes on Friday, hopefully puts in a few shifts like that.

Yip fair point strange that Meggat or Fleming couldn't be accommodated but Adams could.

In fairness, there are still a lot of question marks over Adams' ability. His passing technique is incredibly poor for a player at this level and the game seems to mostly pass him by in a footballing sense, which are particularly bad traits for a central midfielder. Friday night was the perfect setting for him since his only task was to round around bodying folk, but we need more than that in run of the mill league games where we should be looking to control possession. He's obviously a very handy squad player though, and I think he'd make a pretty good centre half at this level alongside someone with Higgins' intelligence, so quite keen to see how he gets on there while Rose and Reid are out.

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Yip fair point strange that Meggat or Fleming couldn't be accommodated but Adams could.

Might have something to do with Jamie working for the family business, and therefore might have a more flexible arrangement than the others. Pure speculation on my part of course.

As for not playing / training on AstroTurf,  I'm sure the bulk of the training last season was on artificial surfaces. 

Now now Grant haven't you heard about the new alliance between the giants of Fife and the giants of Ayrshire now that Sir Andy Geggan has been returned to the hallowed turf.

And anyway I've blocked that part about Cardle out. Same goes for our title challenge crumbling at the start of December.

How do think your chances are for the coming season? You looked incredibly impressive on Friday, would love for Geggan to win another title along with Moff. Hopefully it's a nerve jangling race that goes down to the final minutes.

How do think your chances are for the coming season? You looked incredibly impressive on Friday, would love for Geggan to win another title along with Moff. Hopefully it's a nerve jangling race that goes down to the final minutes.

Depends how well Buchanan and Spence do with Raith. I'm not overly convinced that they'll be enough to win them the league and their midfield and defence doesn't look that great either.

Think we've got a much deeper and better balanced team than them with players that are experienced in how to win games in this league.

If it's nerve jangling until February I'll be happy but I don't want it to go to the last few games of the season where it's all on the line.

53 minutes ago, Meathead said:

In fairness, there are still a lot of question marks over Adams' ability. His passing technique is incredibly poor for a player at this level and the game seems to mostly pass him by in a footballing sense, which are particularly bad traits for a central midfielder. Friday night was the perfect setting for him since his only task was to round around bodying folk, but we need more than that in run of the mill league games where we should be looking to control possession. He's obviously a very handy squad player though, and I think he'd make a pretty good centre half at this level alongside someone with Higgins' intelligence, so quite keen to see how he gets on there while Rose and Reid are out.

Think this is harsh tbh. On his game he sets the tempo for us, and his passing is fine for league one. However my favoured pairing would still be Docherty and Geggan.

Archived