Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Wonder if the club will get any kind of fee for Fleming since he's still under contract. He's not really one of the players you'd let go just to get off the wage bill (Harkins)

Nae chance do we want to be stuck paying him if we cant move him on.  He will be released for free as soon as he finds a club.  

So with Fleming leaving and Reid arriving, that takes our senior player count to 15. McCall saying he was looking for 16 I think in the AP, but it looks like we're still after another centre half and wide forward. I think 18 is the number we're needing with the youths, although the 18 would for me include another goalkeeper. I'm not sure whether he'll bring another one in or go with Avci. Also no idea where that leaves Cairney. 

So with Fleming leaving and Reid arriving, that takes our senior player count to 15. McCall saying he was looking for 16 I think in the AP, but it looks like we're still after another centre half and wide forward. I think 18 is the number we're needing with the youths, although the 18 would for me include another goalkeeper. I'm not sure whether he'll bring another one in or go with Avci. Also no idea where that leaves Cairney. 

Think he's waiting to see if Cairney can shift some weight before he offers him a deal.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

As usual we already have quite a few central midfielders (Docherty, Geggan, Adams, Crawford and possibly Rose) so i would say the chances are slim of Cairney staying for next season. Not sure what he'll do about a goalkeeper with Hart already been pretty young i wouldn't have thought McCall would want to get a young kid in on loan from a premiership club.

5 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Think he's waiting to see if Cairney can shift some weight before he offers him a deal.

I like Cairney, and would have had him over Gilmour, Crawford and Adams. However I just don't see the need to add another centre mid on top of they 3, Doc, Geggan and you can play Rose there if needed and the academy players. The one thing that Cairney brings that they guys don't, is goals which is why he'll probably sign. I just wish we could negotiate a deal to release Gilmour.

26 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I like Cairney, and would have had him over Gilmour, Crawford and Adams. However I just don't see the need to add another centre mid on top of they 3, Doc, Geggan and you can play Rose there if needed and the academy players. The one thing that Cairney brings that they guys don't, is goals which is why he'll probably sign. I just wish we could negotiate a deal to release Gilmour.

Has he not left to coach at Rangers

Has he not left to coach at Rangers

He's become a coach but as usual the club hasn't announced anything in terms of him leaving.

Don't know how he's supposed to play full time football and coach Rangers under 15s.

7 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

He's only part time with Rangers, from what I understand several full time players have juggled the 2.

I can't imagine Gilmour will be staying but you never know.

6 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I can't imagine Gilmour will be staying but you never know.

I though he'd have been shipped by now, however, McCall's never mentioned him about switching to full time which would maybe suggest he's waiting for him to find another club.

Wardrope's dad posted this on the SRE Facebook page about his son:

Just to clear a few things up
My son Michael was retained on his part time contract by ayr but they didn't offer him anything for full time, on top of that mccall said he could possibly be in the same position regarding game time so we asked for him
to be released. Can't waste another season not kicking a ball as he wasn't allowed to play with under 20s for some reason and was denied going out on loan on a few occasions last season. Really disappointing that he never got the chances others did as I'm quite sure he would have kicked on and done great. So after a great time at ayr since he was 12 or so he moves on. A great club with many fantastic people but that's football for you. Be great to see him play football again.
Cheers

I just found out you guys have signed Craig Reid. Yet another fantastic signing for you lads. 

Thats one hell of a strong team Ayr are building at this level, it's making me rethink the possibility of raith winning your league. Your signings are making the title race very interesting for this season. 

Yeah I'm still really annoyed at Raith for being relegated. It would have been nice to be obvious favourites for once. 

Might still be an interesting season, right enough, but I think Raith will do well.

Archived