Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With us going full time, surely this would have made a difference to even the exact same team as last year.  

i think we have improved our team and, with full time training, and stepping down a division, expectations are high.

we are the team to beat and I can't wait.

this could, and I'm confident that it will, be one of those super seasons.

Our defence is a lot weaker than last year and our stagnant midfield is unchanged. How are we stronger?

Our defence is a lot weaker than last year and our midfield is stagnant midfield is unchanged. How are stronger?

Stronger up front, far weaker in defence and we're stronger in midfield by a distance if Geggan plays there, about the same if not.

I can't understand some of the negativity that I'm reading on here. I still believe we have surpassed all expectations in terms of our signings and player retentions and I'd also say we have a pretty decent sized squad for a side playing in the third tier of Scottish football. Add to that the fact that we've done most of our business early (which has been a main gripe in recent years as we left everything late and missed out on most of our targets). What's not to like ?

Time for a reality check for some I'd say.............

The relatively pleasing state of the squad this early into pre-season is a cause for optimism. It shouldn't however exonerate the actions of those in the club who regularly make a c**t of things commercially.

In fairness I had a much better handle on things back in the 0898 121 552 days for all the latest news and views from Somerset Park.

6 hours ago, singin am no fae killie said:

Our defence is a lot weaker than last year and our stagnant midfield is unchanged. How are we stronger?

Happy to put money on conceding less goals this year than last. 

12 hours ago, singin am no fae killie said:

Against poorer opposition I'll agree with you. But we can sign all the strikers we want that midfield proved last year there's zero width or creativity

Yeah but the season before even Docherty looked like creative as we had more time on the ball.

Stolen from Dumbarton thread. Would be a very decent signing imo. 
IMG_3267.thumb.JPG.d47c193fd5725bbdac290b2a630b377a.JPG

Would be a good backup for Moff and Moore. Think he can also play wide so would give us a couple of options.

Hilson would be a cracking signing, always scored against us with Forfar. Can play out wide as well which would more than just about complete our attack and midfield. Would imagine we would be a more attractive offer for him with full time football unless he has a job lined up.

Pre season starts today, wonder who apart from Cairney will turn up.

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Hilson would be a cracking signing, always scored against us with Forfar. Can play out wide as well which would more than just about complete our attack and midfield. Would imagine we would be a more attractive offer for him with full time football unless he has a job lined up.

The problem is Dumbarton can offer him more of an attractive league to a point. Although there could be less of a chance of game time if he goes to Dumbarton.

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Everyone surely?

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

The problem is Dumbarton can offer him more of an attractive league to a point. Although there could be less of a chance of game time if he goes to Dumbarton.

Hmm a part time deal might not be sufficient for him. Also Higgins could be a factor as well as potential title challenge.

3 minutes ago, Joma Boo said:

Everyone surely?

Probably not, I'm sure Adams and Fleming might not be there...

I was talking about potential new signings.

50 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Think I'll probably go, anyone else heading along?

I just passed Tam McManus heading in the same direction. 

Coincidence?

Patter almost as shite as what's been posted on the Somerset Road End the past few days.

Archived