Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Were playing the manky mob at somerset on tv ....a positive imo

Dearie me, that's not anything to do with something the club did. That's luck of the draw. 

12 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Lachlan berates how much he's put into the club, yet I can't help but feel he wouldn't have had to put in so much if he and/or others at the club had a better idea of how to maximise revenue.

100% this.

3 hours ago, Honestmen said:

Quite a lot of shite being spouted on here this week (more than normal).

We are a relegated team who have taken a huge step forwards by going full time and signing up a few players that will make us a better team for a while. 

The season tickets are not out...we never backed a fund raiser.... commercial disaster.... monies tight... ffs 

Lets get behind the club as this is a huge season coming up. A bit more positive chat please.

Even if we were linked with a couple of players that would get a bit of positivity going.

4 hours ago, Honestmen said:

Quite a lot of shite being spouted on here this week (more than normal).

We are a relegated team who have taken a huge step forwards by going full time and signing up a few players that will make us a better team for a while. 

The season tickets are not out...we never backed a fund raiser.... commercial disaster.... monies tight... ffs 

Lets get behind the club as this is a huge season coming up. A bit more positive chat please.

This is the sort of drivel we get all the time, it's like Goldilocks on here, it's too early to question anything, it's too late to question anything, wait 'til the season ends, wait 'til the season starts, this is a huge season as we're fighting relegation, this is a huge season as we're going for promotion.

We are in the main just making part time players full time.

I don't think the issue is a lack of signings, I just think a few fans including me have really lost confidence in McCall.  Assuming Boyle and Fleming sign, I don't think we are shaping up too badly though I'm surprised to see us retaining dross like Gilmour, Rose and Adams.  Crawford is a strange one as I would have been disappointed to see him go but on the other hand I've still got no idea where he should play - definitely not wide midfield.  Assuming we sign another solid centre half, we should do well.  If Geggan isn't going to play midfield (madness) then we need someone else to play alongside Docherty.  I still think Cairney is a better bet than either Adams or Crawford.

Guess we'll just have to be patient.  If we start the season with half a dozen players playing out of position as always seems to be the case under McCall, then the alarm bells should be ringing.

I don't think the issue is a lack of signings, I just think a few fans including me have really lost confidence in McCall.  Assuming Boyle and Fleming sign, I don't think we are shaping up too badly though I'm surprised to see us retaining dross like Gilmour, Rose and Adams.  Crawford is a strange one as I would have been disappointed to see him go but on the other hand I've still got no idea where he should play - definitely not wide midfield.  Assuming we sign another solid centre half, we should do well.  If Geggan isn't going to play midfield (madness) then we need someone else to play alongside Docherty.  I still think Cairney is a better bet than either Adams or Crawford.
Guess we'll just have to be patient.  If we start the season with half a dozen players playing out of position as always seems to be the case under McCall, then the alarm bells should be ringing.

Pretty much agree with all of this, particularly on Cairney and Geggan.

Feel that Crawford is best out wide though, just seems to be lost when played in the middle and ends up chasing the ball.

Here's some of that positive chat that people are wanting more of:

Jamie Adams has penned a new deal for the 2017/18 season.

Manager Ian McCall said :” Jamie has been different class for me and you can always trust him when he plays. I hear people mention about his injuries and of course he has had some horrific luck with injuries in his career however he has played 50 games for us in the last two seasons.

There are certain types of games Jamie will be absolutely crucial for us. When you think back to the second leg of the play off final it was Jamie and Peter Murphy that carried us through that match with their mentality and strength of will.

Jamie is fantastic in the dressing room, respected by all his fellow team mates and is a hugely important member of the squad.”

27 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Pretty much agree with all of this, particularly on Cairney and Geggan.

Feel that Crawford is best out wide though, just seems to be lost when played in the middle and ends up chasing the ball.

That's where I struggle with Crawford.  I don't think he has the pace to play out wide and I can hardly think of him ever putting in any decent crosses.  On the other hand, if you put him in the centre, he can be a headless chicken at times or just plain anonymous.   He would probably be best as the most advanced in a 3 man central midfield, but can't see us ever lining up that way.  

That's where I struggle with Crawford.  I don't think he has the pace to play out wide and I can hardly think of him ever putting in any decent crosses.  On the other hand, if you put him in the centre, he can be a headless chicken at times or just plain anonymous.   He would probably be best as the most advanced in a 3 man central midfield, but can't see us ever lining up that way.  

Yeah he's never going to be that kind of wide player, however he is good at cutting inside and running at people and linking up.

Think this side should be good enough to finish second (obv with new centre half and McCall finding his objectivity and signing Cairney, we need someone in the middle with some quality to unlock defences at this level. )

Fleming

Geggan New Signing Higgins Boyle

Crawford Cairney Docherty Forrest

Moore Moffat

Not overly sure who should play between Forrest, McGuffie and McDaid tonne honest. I know that as soon as the season starts I'll be pissed of that Geggan is playing right back.

17 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah he's never going to be that kind of wide player, however he is good at cutting inside and running at people and linking up.

Think this side should be good enough to finish second (obv with new centre half and McCall finding his objectivity and signing Cairney, we need someone in the middle with some quality to unlock defences at this level. )

Fleming

Geggan New Signing Higgins Boyle

Crawford Cairney Docherty Forrest

Moore Moffat

Not overly sure who should play between Forrest, McGuffie and McDaid tonne honest. I know that as soon as the season starts I'll be pissed of that Geggan is playing right back.

McDaid and McGuffie have to be our wide players.

McDaid and McGuffie have to be our wide players.

Agreed, it's the only way we'll have any real width and pace out wide is with those two. Forrest will probably play in rotation with Moore depending on who we play.

Fleming

Geggan New CB Higgins Boyle

McDaid Docherty Cairney McGuffie

Moffat Moore

Of course I'd rather that Geggan played in midfield and we looked for a natural right back but that would mean sacrificing one of Docherty or Cairney. The only way we'd get all of them playing would be a 3 man midfield which sacrifices either our width or one of Moore and Moffat.

With us going full time, surely this would have made a difference to even the exact same team as last year.

i think we have improved our team and, with full time training, and stepping down a division, expectations are high.

we are the team to beat and I can't wait.

this could, and I'm confident that it will, be one of those super seasons.

Are Ayr the team to beat? Not Raith? Stranraer have made some good signings too, they could be the surprise package this season. I think this league will be a lot more competitive than first thought.

5 minutes until the event was due to start and the club still haven't announced on their social media streams that it's been postponed. They were given one small job to do regarding the footgolf over the past 10 days and didn't do it.
Embarrassing! Hope no one turns up!! Lol

Well done to the Ayr United Travel Club for last night raising £1891 for SAMH in memory of Ayr fan Ciar McPherson. Their target was only £500!

Archived