Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Spence would appear to have found his level although he helped Raith win the league last time they were in this division so hopefully he doesn't do the same again. 

What?

We left this league the last time in 2008, when Spence was 15 before he made his debut in his first spell at Alloa..

He didn't join us until 2012.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I would say there is less then a 10% chance Moff and Moore will play together regularly. McCall wants to flood the centre mid like he usually does, can't do that with 2 strikers.

Not even for home games? Would be effective away from home against the better teams but surely for the other games let's take the game to them. 

31 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

What?

We left this league the last time in 2008, when Spence was 15 before he made his debut in his first spell at Alloa..

He didn't join us until 2012

Spence scored the goal for Alloa that meant Ayr dropped points when we beat Queens Park.

Was 2009 we left this league.

2 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

What?

He didn't join us until 2012.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Spence scored the goal for Alloa that meant Ayr dropped points when we beat Queens Park.

Was 2009 we left this league.

Yeah this is what I meant, can't forget his name. Would be quite happy with a similar title race this season although hopefully with a different outcome.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

In what world is it nonsense to suggest otherwise? Bar about 20 games in McCalls tenure, we've only went with 1 up top.

That depends on how you view Harkins' role last season. Whether by design or just his inability to move around, he was essentially the second striker in a 4-4-2 for most of the season.

It's semantics in any case about whether we play two upfront or one upfront and a 'number 10', because they're basically the same thing. A Moore-Moffat combination is likely to have one playing further forward than the other, so it really wouldn't be that different to playing one of them with McGuffie or Forrest playing in the hole.

8 hours ago, Meathead said:

That depends on how you view Harkins' role last season. Whether by design or just his inability to move around, he was essentially the second striker in a 4-4-2 for most of the season.

It's semantics in any case about whether we play two upfront or one upfront and a 'number 10', because they're basically the same thing. A Moore-Moffat combination is likely to have one playing further forward than the other, so it really wouldn't be that different to playing one of them with McGuffie or Forrest playing in the hole.

Personally don't view Harkins' role with us as a striker. For me, Moore and Moff are very similar and I can't see one being happy to play off the other, both want to be up top through the middle. Preston and Moore had a good partnership when they played together, 2 strikers who gelled. Hopefully we go like that again.

We've rarely had 2 fit available and in form strikers during McCalls time at the club, so 1 up front has often been forced on him.  If Moore is fit, him and Moffat will be the first 2 names on the team sheet.  "If" being a big word in this context!

Moffat now is a very different player to the one we had.

With the signings so far, I'm fairly confident we'll play a 4231 next season. Even if Moff & Moore are suited together, the chances of them both being able to play in the majority of games is pretty slim. We'd need to sign another proven striker which I just can't see happening.

9 minutes ago, Iain said:

I see the new club website is up. From the looks of it they've invested a moderate three figure sum, so at least the playing budget won't be affected...

I like the font size and colour text on the dark background, really makes the site pop out.

"Dundee Utd will unveil Nicky Devlin when he return to Scotland from his holiday. The rightback got into the Championship TOTY last season"

Splendid stuff... That name change still happening 0nickydevlin ? [emoji106]

Archived