Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mood's still pretty upbeat.

Chris Higgins, Michael Moffat & Andy Geggan are all excellent signings for this level and are way above what I was expecting post relegation. Add to that the retention of Docherty, McDaid, Forrest, Boyle and even Adams as a backup "destroyer" and personally I'm pretty pleased. I'd have liked us to have kept Fleming & Meggat, however they are both replaceable and are not integral parts of our side. As for Crawford, he runs around and puts in a shift but again he's definitely replaceable and I certainly wouldn't be devastated if he failed to re - sign.

All in all, things are looking great including a home televised match against Killie to look forward to in July...............

Give give me a straight choice of signing Crawford, Adams or Cairney, I'd personally go for Cairney.  We should have moved on from Adams - we can't build a midfield around a player who is constantly compromised by injury.  I don't buy the back up argument either as he needs to be playing regularly to keep his fitness at some kind of respectable level.  Crawford just isn't good enough at any one thing to allow him to pin down a specific midfield position - moving on from him would be no bad thing either.  i presume we are keeping Gilmour which isn't exactly inspiring.  Hope I'm wrong but this feels like the same old grumble with McCall i.e. Not evolving the team in any way.  Looks like we'll once again line up with a one paced midfield with no width and no goal threat. 

Im fairly happy so far, we have shifted what was probably our 3 highest earners in Harkins, Balatoni and El Alagui and replaced them with Geggan, Higgins and Moffat. We could probably put out a first 11 that would be close to as good a side as last season, and we still have 5 weeks until the league cup starts. I dont think there will be any further additions until a decision is made on the PTers that are still under contract, apart from maybe a CH as we are short their.

I wouldn't be suprised if we are still adding to the squad into September.

5 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Hi RedEd, when's a suitable time to start panicking? Did you not listen to the McCall interview? 

You have my permission to panic at 00:01 on 1st September, but not before. And yes, I listened to the interview and don't feel worried or panicky.

We have done a lot of business so far, massive changes to the club structure as well.

We don't have a money tree but we do have the core of a title winning side, of that I have no doubt.

There will be more moves but they need to be the right moves and they might take a little while.  The big moves have been made and good ones at that.  

35 minutes ago, RedEd said:

You have my permission to panic at 00:01 on 1st September, but not before. And yes, I listened to the interview and don't feel worried or panicky.

If we are serious about winning this league then we really should have our squad completed for the first league game of the season. 

I'm not usually a worrier per say and I've usually been the guy saying it's early, plenty of time to go etc. I know I was wrong saying that in the past and that's what is slightly concerning me. We shouldn't be going into September not having 99% of our squad. We really shouldn't be going into the start of July without a starting 11 and bench of mostly signed pros good enough to have us challenging.

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

Interesting time, given it's seven weeks after the start of the competitive season, and the transfer window is totally irrelevant to us.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

Im fairly happy so far, we have shifted what was probably our 3 highest earners in Harkins, Balatoni and El Alagui and replaced them with Geggan, Higgins and Moffat. We could probably put out a first 11 that would be close to as good a side as last season, and we still have 5 weeks until the league cup starts. I dont think there will be any further additions until a decision is made on the PTers that are still under contract, apart from maybe a CH as we are short their.

I wouldn't be suprised if we are still adding to the squad into September.

This ^^^

Screenshot_20170607-223627.jpg

51 minutes ago, Joma Boo said:

Interesting time, given it's seven weeks after the start of the competitive season, and the transfer window is totally irrelevant to us.

8 weeks till the league season start, so plenty of time. Still plenty of time to sign some players. By my calculations we currently have 21 signed players (plus Jamie Adams who will shortly make it 22), up to 3 of whom might leave yet. In terms of squad numbers, we're quite far ahead of most of the other clubs in the division. And a lot players are on holiday, since they will soon be back to work.

We have been known to sign players towards the end of transfer windows, so it isn't entirely irrelevant. And it closes 3 1/2 weeks after the league season starts.

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

My mood's still pretty upbeat.

Chris Higgins, Michael Moffat & Andy Geggan are all excellent signings for this level and are way above what I was expecting post relegation. Add to that the retention of Docherty, McDaid, Forrest, Boyle and even Adams as a backup "destroyer" and personally I'm pretty pleased. I'd have liked us to have kept Fleming & Meggat, however they are both replaceable and are not integral parts of our side. As for Crawford, he runs around and puts in a shift but again he's definitely replaceable and I certainly wouldn't be devastated if he failed to re - sign.

All in all, things are looking great including a home televised match against Killie to look forward to in July...............

Forrest has never excited me, with the Killie game coming up I can't help but feel he hasn't really progressed in three years since the last. I don't really understand why Adams is getting special treatment. Certainly plenty positives otherwise.

There's 8 games he won't play so we're closer to the 25!

I like the look of that starting 11 to be honest, ideally new right back and Geggan replacing Adams and possibly new centre half and that would be a very strong starting 11, need a bit more stength in depth though. With that 11 if it was to be, Higgins, Doc, Adams, McDaid and Moore all culpable to spells on the side line. For me I hope Cairney re-signs instead of Crawford, and him and Doc would be the ideal midfield pairing at this level.

Is rose not a right back? Could he play there meaning geggan can play further forward? Need anothr centre half anyway

Rose is no-where near mobile enough to play right back, think Jim Lauchlan rampaging down the line.

Archived