Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Keeping Adams on PT but not Meggatt. The impression McCall gave was that he wanted everyone FT, maybe with pre season being on the 19th, the players leaving, and not being able to get his targets, he's going to settle for the FT/PT model we've already tried.

My understanding is that we will be totally full time as will Adams but he'll only train on a Thursday and Friday.
The FT/ PT model would mean that some players would train during the day and the p/t players would train 2 nights a week.
There will be no evening training with our model.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were picking days for Adams to train, why would you pick Thursday and Friday with a game on the Saturday, mental.

I would be giving Crawford an ultimatum, sign by the weekend or it's off the table. Wouldn't want him near central midfield but can be effective out wide IMO. Nothing special though.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

Sounds disappointing and he sounds like he's getting desperate. I like Crawford, but don't chase him all summer Christ. Cairney more than capable and will benefit from full time, call Crawfords bluff and we'll see if this move to Livi materialises. We really need a minimum of 2 defenders and midfielders. 

What's pissing me off is why does Adams only get to train twice a week? If that's the case then he could have done that with Meggat.

Wheels beginning to wobble.

Yeah not sure Adams is the player I'd be breaking the strict full time rule for. Would much rather Fleming/Meggatt were the ones that exceptions were being made. Last week it all sounded like a clear plan now we could be winging it. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

If you were picking days for Adams to train, why would you pick Thursday and Friday with a game on the Saturday, mental.

I would be giving Crawford an ultimatum, sign by the weekend or it's off the table. Wouldn't want him near central midfield but can be effective out wide IMO. Nothing special though.

Adams is his special project, his pal. He also works on a farm IIRC so would make sense the 2 days he's training coincudently being evenings. 

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I was under the impression Thursday/Friday were evening sessions.

McCall said in an interview FT training would be Monday & Tuesday mornings & afternoons, Wednesday off, Thursday & Friday mornings. That would be the schedule for the vast majority of them and would be subject to under 20 & reserve games.

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Friday is the day they're doing all the stuff for Saturday's match. Giving him the start of the week gives him more time to recover from games which will be far more physically demanding. I doubt he'll be hammering himself at training anyway, it'll probably be ball-work and shape.

According to McCall's interview training is in the morning on Thursdays and Fridays.

How so?
Do Peterhead not pay ridiculous wages to some players, in any event?

Not ridiculous. But good ones, sure Ayr would've been close to it and imagine it would suit him a lot more.

Not sure how training is for Peterhead players based down in the central belt.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not ridiculous. But good ones, sure Ayr would've been close to it and imagine it would suit him a lot more.

Not sure how training is for Peterhead players based down in the central belt.

Why would Ayr being part-time have suited him more though?

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So he could still have a full time job outside football?

I was going to be facetious and suggest working during the day in Stranraer and traveling to Peterhead in the evening for training would be a bit unrealistic.

I'm not sure where he's based though (comes from Dumfries) or what Peterhead's training arrangements are. Maybe it doesn't change much for him but I'd be surprised if it was more convenient to sign for Peterhead part-time.

50 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

What's pissing me off is why does Adams only get to train twice a week? If that's the case then he could have done that with Meggat.

Because Meggat is shit

I was going to be facetious and suggest working during the day in Stranraer and traveling to Peterhead in the evening for training would be a bit unrealistic.
I'm not sure where he's based though (comes from Dumfries) or what Peterhead's training arrangements are. Maybe it doesn't change much for him but I'd be surprised if it was more convenient to sign for Peterhead part-time.

Definitely be more convenient. He'll definitely not be going up to Peterhead for training.

As far as I know the northern based players train in Aberdeen. Plenty of guys from down Glasgow/central belt way though and I think they do their own thing.

If Ayr were PT I think there would be a good chance he'd have ended up with you lads. Not that you'll be overly bothered though. Just the market you're now in, Airdrie have had similar problems.

8 hours ago, RedEd said:

Early June and some people are panicking about the squad. Calm down boys and girls, still plenty of time.

Hi RedEd, when's a suitable time to start panicking? Did you not listen to the McCall interview? 

Archived