Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Worrying that we only have 9 confirmed players for next season.

Our squad numbers are currently 23 I think with youths. Here's hoping we have a busy fortnight.

8 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Our squad numbers are currently 23 I think with youths. Here's hoping we have a busy fortnight.

I wasnt counting the youth's or the likes of Hart, Fleming, Boyle, Gilmour as they are on PT teams and it hasnt been confirmed there staying as far as i know.

24 minutes ago, singin am no fae killie said:

Flemings going to Annan. Murphy and him car shared to get here and going full time and giving up his job would probably cost him money staying

Massive blow if true. 

Signs one year deal. That means we can pick him up on a free when we go up next season.
"...and completed the move after securing his release from former club Ayr United."
Did he jump or was he pushed out? Would be interesting to hear what McCall has to say about it.

He benched him for the tail end of the season and made a comment about moving on 1-2 on 2 year deals, I don't doubt Harkins wanted to play at a higher level but I'm pretty sure McCall wanted rid of him

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:
2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:
Signs one year deal. That means we can pick him up on a free when we go up next season.
"...and completed the move after securing his release from former club Ayr United."
Did he jump or was he pushed out? Would be interesting to hear what McCall has to say about it.

He benched him for the tail end of the season and made a comment about moving on 1-2 on 2 year deals, I don't doubt Harkins wanted to play at a higher level but I'm pretty sure McCall wanted rid of him

Was only jesting, it does seem like McCall wanted shot of him as he never talked about from the end of the season.

Was Harkins actually involved in first team training either. Who's gonna take over that now if he was.

I really thought Harkins would be a gem of a signing, but he turned out to be an utter disaster.  And please God don't anyone start posting crap about him being played out of position etc etc.  His attitude is as bad as I've seen from any player at Ayr in my 40 years of watching.  It's clear he had no interest in playing for Ayr so great piece of business to bump him to Greenock.

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

FireShot Screen Capture #011 - 'Voice of Reason on Twitter_ _Gary Harkins to leave Ayr United and a_' - twitter_com_VoiceAyr_status_872396822005895168.png

Greg Fleming is the other player leaving if what I've heard is accurate. He's not willing/able to give up his job and commit to full-time football. Which is understandable I guess.

We'll take him if that's alright. After all we did try our best to keep you up last season.

I don't quite get the black & white nature, no pun intended, of retaining staff on a full time basis only.

If it suited the club, why couldn't it work to have a few part time staff? Especially in a goalkeeping position, where the emphasis isn't necessarily on fitness or set piece routines that see the obvious benefit from full time football.

I don't quite get the black & white nature, no pun intended, of retaining staff on a full time basis only.

If it suited the club, why couldn't it work to have a few part time staff? Especially in a goalkeeping position, where the emphasis isn't necessarily on fitness or set piece routines that see the obvious benefit from full time football.

Is it not crucial for the goalkeeper and back 4 to work as a unit at set pieces like corners and free kicks. If he can't commit to full time look for someone who can. He's a decent keep but he ain't no Buffon.

9 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Biggest problem would be getting everyone together.

It's probably a massive hassle trying to get the full-timers training in the evenings and there's also the additional expense of extra facilities. If they are planning on working on tactics and shape when some of the team are not present then it doesn't really work.

To be honest I think it's a pretty bad idea.

Keeping Adams makes no sense.  How is he possibly going to cope with the physical demands of full time training?  Presumably most of the training is on 3G pitches which we know he has to avoid.  P

Keeping Adams makes no sense.  How is he possibly going to cope with the physical demands of full time training?  Presumably most of the training is on 3G pitches which we know he has to avoid.  P

I believe we'll be mainly training at a rugby club in Glasgow on a grass pitch. We're also going to have a full time physio which should, in theory, help injury prevention & speed up any recovery time.

35 minutes ago, DanielB said:

Cardiff sign Callum Patterson from Hearts. Free up a space for Nicky Devlin?

Looks like it, from what i've heard from a friend who's a Dundee United supporter he isn't going there anymore.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

If Adams has signed as back up to Geggan and Docherty then I'm happy enough with that. Pointless having him as a starter though.

Geggan has been signed as a right back....

Archived