Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

McCall mentioned he is hoping one of the guys signed from the academy in particular will make an impact this season - any ideas who?

Don't have much knowledge of the majority but I've seen the right back Waite play a few times this season and always been impressed, reckon he could make the step up.

Must say I'm excited about the signings from the academy, a real step forward in that sense. Was initially concerned they'd just be there to make up the numbers in the full time model, but McCall seems to reckon a few of them have a chance.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DanielB said:

McCall mentioned he is hoping one of the guys signed from the academy in particular will make an impact this season - any ideas who?

Don't have much knowledge of the majority but I've seen the right back Waite play a few times this season and always been impressed, reckon he could make the step up.

Must say I'm excited about the signings from the academy, a real step forward in that sense. Was initially concerned they'd just be there to make up the numbers in the full time model, but McCall seems to reckon a few of them have a chance.

Im sure its Faulds he means, was gushing about him recently. 

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Interested to hear that there was a deal on the table from your lot, obviously can't be arsed with another relegation battle.

We've a reduced budget next season (massive drop in our big away crowds) so we are probably going with a two-tier system of a first 11 on decent money and low wages to the fringe guys.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

We've a reduced budget next season (massive drop in our big away crowds) so we are probably going with a two-tier system of a first 11 on decent money and low wages to the fringe guys.

We'll be back next year to raise your away gates.

Any word on Harkins? Morton supporter just said we're apparently in for him although I highly doubt it. 

Interesting I wouldn't be surprised if we agreed to move his wage onto a championship team. McCall has not mentioned him once in his ramblings about next season

21 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Any word on Harkins? Morton supporter just said we're apparently in for him although I highly doubt it. 

Make it so!

7 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Interesting I wouldn't be surprised if we agreed to move his wage onto a championship team. McCall has not mentioned him once in his ramblings about next season

You're right, I haven't heard McCall mention Harkins once since the end of the season, and he's been pretty active in terms of doing press. Surely that must mean he's a goner.

Stick him in a team that isnt scrapping for survival and he will be quality. Disappointed we arent able to keep him tbh, but the wage he is on is probably far too much for League 1

@Scosha If it makes you feel any better, I've seen numerous Dundee fans saying they'd have him back. He can do a job in the Championship, it's just that in Ayr's case it was a disastrous fit. However, best to make your peace now with the fact that he doesn't run.

26 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Harkins with full time training and a good team around him could be quite good

But I wouldn't take a risk on him after last seasons performances,Highly doubt Morton are

Come on, now, full-time training? That ship has long sailed. Harkins is what he is, I don't understand why people expect any different.

Harkins is a difficult one. A fit and determined Harkins would tear this league to shreads but the chances of getting him in shape is highly unlikely. If he does indeed move on then that frees up wages to bring in 2/3 really solid league 1 signings. 

Archived