Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Here's my opinion on things so far FWIW, grab a cuppa & a biscuit.

Keepers - Delighted with our options in Fleming & Hart. Both solid goalkeepers at this level, although I'll be surprised if Hart hangs around to play second fiddle to Fleming again.

Right back - Obviously a new one required, although the longer time ticks on the less confident I am of Geggan signing. I don't know if he's better off playing CM anyway (Dunfermline fans?) but that opens a whole new can of worms. Half expect McCall to pull a random one out the bag here, although whoever signs will have a tough job filling Devlin's boots.

Left Back - Paddy Boyle is more suited to League 1, thought he was our weak link last year. However, he's more than dependable at this level. Did he get into the leagues team of the season last time around?

Has a knack of picking up niggling injuries, so need competent back up. I still have nightmares over seeing Micheal Donald #3 on the team sheet!

Ideally, a centre half that can play left back would be perfect. Over to you Mr Meggatt.

Centre Backs - Higgins seems to be highly thought of, although time will tell. Actually quite happy with the re-signing of Rose, and I don't understand the hostility towards him on here. I was one of his biggest critics at the start of last season, watched him in the pre-season friendly down at Maybole Juniors and he didn't look out of place at that level.

However, thought he put in some excellent performances towards the end of last season when given the chance. Dominated the midfield in the away victory at Dunfermline (MOM that day?) & looked assured playing CB against Dundee Utd. Full time training & a run of games beside the experienced Higgins will do him the world of good.

Wouldn't be against our first choice CB pairing being Higgins & Rose, although again need dependable back up Daz M.

Central Midfield - This really depends on the formation we go with. McCall has stated he's going to build the team around McGuffie & Forrest, and the only way I can see that working is in a 4-2-3-1 with McGuffie on the left & Forrest in the hole. 4-4-1-1 was far too one dimensional last year, and often left Forrest & the striker isolated.

Based on that I'm hoping for Doc/Geggan & someone else. Reckon they'd be too similar to play together. 1st choice would be Doc as he has age on his side, although if he goes would be delighted with Geggan.

The second central midfielder is a tricky one, I'm going to stick my neck out and say Cairney. He's the best passer of a ball we had last year & was totally wasted out wide.

Yes he carries a bit of weight (Sure one of the directors at the 'meet the board event' said he had an existing medical condition that lead to him piling on the beef.)

Let's not forget he totally dominated us in has last appearances in the this division, and we were all delighted when he signed. Excellent passer, puts in a shift & pops up with a few goals.

A new signing/Crawford & a youth player can provide the back up.

AMR - McCall needs to get to work here, could be our most important signing of the season. A position we've struggled with in recent years, often shoehorning central midfielders in and relying on Devlin to provide the width. Cannot happen this season.

Seen Willie Gibson's name floating around, not sure how happy I'd be with that. Undoubted talent in there, but no room for ego's & attitudes this year.

CAM - Going by what McCall has said, if can only be Forrest. Wouldn't like to think he'd play out right next year. Another big season for the young lad.

That really leaves an issue with Harkins, we simply can't justify his wages sitting on the bench. Didn't produce last year, and can see him moving on. The problem is who takes him on a reported £1k per week? Don't see him going back to the premier league, and there isn't many Championship teams left that will pay that. Big mistake signing him on a 2 year deal.

Long shot but we talk him into retiring & offer him a coaching position?

Think we need a young, hungry, fit & hardworking team to win the league, Harkins simply doesn't fit that bill.

If Harkins moves on, actually think this is Gilly's strongest position & wouldn't be against keeping him as a back-up to Forrest. There's a footballer in there, but lacks with pace for playing out wide & the physicality for CM.

AML - Huge season for McGuffie, make or break but I have every confidence. First time he'll have real expectation on his shoulders, usually a difficult thing for wingers to cope with. It'll be interesting to see how he copes.

Striker - Delighted with Moffat, should be one of the best strikers in this league. Although is the wrong side of 30 now, does he still have his blistering pace Pars fans?

We should have one eye on the championship next year & given his age I'm surprised he was signed on a 2 year deal. Undoubtedly one of the factors in him signing, just hope it doesn't back-fire.

Depending on the formation, 1 or 2 more strikers required. Moore would fit the bill perfectly, although if he play 1 up top he won't be happy sitting on the bench. Ideal scenario for us having 2 hungry, proven & quick strikers fighting for 1 starting berth.

Back up signing and/or youth striker also required.

There we have it folks. As shite as last season ended up, we have to move on. I for one am actually quite excited at the thought of next season. It's all been good news from the camp so far; full time football, quick good quality signings & good communication.

We've craved full time football for years. Now we have it, it's our turn to step up to the plate & get behind the team.

MON AYR!

To answer your 2 questions for Pars fans... a year ago, I would have said Geggan was a midfielder and not good enough at RB. However, he started this season in midfield for us and just couldn't cope at Championship level. However, he would still be an outstanding midfielder at league one level. Since moving to RB this season, he was very solid and seemed to be really enjoying it. Once he settled into the role, he looked natural. So I would argue he could play in either role.

Moffat is still deceivingly quick. He doesn't look that fast, but just breezes past defenders. You have a great player there. His all-round game improved greatly in his time with us. Whilst his finishing ability seemed to disappear instantly, his intelligence with the ball and ability to link up play was excellent. If you can add the goals back into his game, then you will have the best striker in that league.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I'm guessing this is a wind up but I'd love him to sign.

Declan McDaid might not though

Just a wee wind up but thinking about it it's not unrealistic. Dumbarton are a complete shambles the now and we can offer him FT football. In ye come Gregor. 

Just a wee wind up but thinking about it it's not unrealistic. Dumbarton are a complete shambles the now and we can offer him FT football. In ye come Gregor. 

Can't see any of the Dumbarton players signing back on until they know if Aitken is staying or not.

We still need a player to fill in on the right hand side of the defence so it could be perfect.

Completely agree and with Higgins putting him on a diet he might get into better shape and be the player we need him to be!

Yep and training full time will do harkins wonders .less time hittn golf baws more times hitting footballs

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

No disrespect intended here, but I'd imagine he'd get another Championship club pretty easily. If he leaves us I'd imagine it'll be for someone like Morton/Queen of the South etc. Established mid-table Championship.

Disagree re Harkins, although would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Our downfall over the last couple of seasons has been shoehorning players into the team, and I simply can't see how we'll accommodate Harkins & Forrest without playing one of them out of position.

He undoubtedly has the ability to be the best player in the league, on his day. The key to winning any league is consistency, and he just doesn't have it.

Let me ask a question - would you rather have Harkins on £1k per week or say Doc, Moore & Geggan on £300 per week?

No disrespect intended here, but I'd imagine he'd get another Championship club pretty easily. If he leaves us I'd imagine it'll be for someone like Morton/Queen of the South etc. Established mid-table Championship.

It depends who they retain tbh. They might already have a first choice who he wouldn't displace or they might not want to spend that much and with us going full time with being able to pay probably better wages(no offence intended to Dumbarton) we might be able to attract him. It is a bit if a pipedream though

I don't think he'd get in the Morton side atm and with QOTS signing Calum Fordyce from Dunfermline today he might not get in there either.

If we could offer him FT football and promise him we'll be playing in the Championship next year we may get him.

Although we probably won't as his name was only suggested as a joke.

Right back this season is a poison chalice of a position, especially if we don't bring in a competent right mid. They will be unfairly judged on how Devlin got up and down the wing. We shouldn't need a right back to do that all game. A right back that can emulate Paddy Boyle of League 1 when we went up, defensively sound and can get forward when needed would be ideal.

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I don't think he'd get in the Morton side atm and with QOTS signing Calum Fordyce from Dunfermline today he might not get in there either.

If we could offer him FT football and promise him we'll be playing in the Championship next year we may get him.

Although we probably won't as his name was only suggested as a joke.

I mentioned El Alagui as a joke (wish I hadn't) and it came to fruition, along with Higgins (not so jokey, just a cb who was a free agent)

Disagree re Harkins, although would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Our downfall over the last couple of seasons has been shoehorning players into the team, and I simply can't see how we'll accommodate Harkins & Forrest without playing one of them out of position.

He undoubtedly has the ability to be the best player in the league, on his day. The key to winning any league is consistency, and he just doesn't have it.

Let me ask a question - would you rather have Harkins on £1k per week or say Doc, Moore & Geggan on £300 per week?

You could play 4231narrow and fit them both in. It also means we don't need to sign another winger. You really would need lightning quick full backs though to give you some sort of width.

I really think we need more coaches to sustain full time football really if you are going to train a formation like that

27 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Completely agree and with Higgins putting him on a diet he might get into better shape and be the player we need him to be!

I doubt very much Harkins will ever get into shape as don't think he has ever been really fit. What will change him is playing in a team near the top of the league who will see a lot more of the ball and be expected to attack meaning he can get a lot more involved in play.

Glad to see the gaffer doing the right thing and getting a squad ready

Astonishingly for Ayr we are not pulling in the 2k + support base that's there is easily potential for !

Don't like pointing fingers but I will in this instance ---

Far too many nah Sayers - you might love your club but we are not defined by bigotry, hatred or any of those things regularly bounced through domestic football here.

This season lets try and promote our club and not dismiss - slagging players the club the chairman the manger - WTF

Be proud be loyal talk up the club in the town and in the bars and just maybe 2 or 3 may hear this and decide to come along

Too many Saturday nights listening to this ones not good enough that ones shocking - there's always a positive if you don't think so give me an example and I'll give you the positive

Remember you can only pish with the cock you've got you might wish it was bigger but it still fits all.

Seen Willie Gibson's name floating around, not sure how happy I'd be with that. Undoubted talent in there, but no room for ego's & attitudes this year.

I think he'd be a cracking signing for that division still. I don't think his ego would be an issue under McCall. I can recall Gibson starting to come into a game under Connolly but for me McCall was a huge influence (at least from the outside looking in). Gibson used to get to the byline and try another step-over but when McCall came in he would get to the byline and swing the ball in. So I assume he worked well under McCall as he certainly improved as a player when he came in.

5 minutes ago, thegreatpretender said:

Glad to see the gaffer doing the right thing and getting a squad ready

Astonishingly for Ayr we are not pulling in the 2k + support base that's there is easily potential for !

Don't like pointing fingers but I will in this instance ---

Far too many nah Sayers - you might love your club but we are not defined by bigotry, hatred or any of those things regularly bounced through domestic football here.

This season lets try and promote our club and not dismiss - slagging players the club the chairman the manger - WTF

Be proud be loyal talk up the club in the town and in the bars and just maybe 2 or 3 may hear this and decide to come along

Too many Saturday nights listening to this ones not good enough that ones shocking - there's always a positive if you don't think so give me an example and I'll give you the positive

Remember you can only pish with the cock you've got you might wish it was bigger but it still fits all.

It's a football club, not a religion. Enough with the 'no true fan pish'

Don't like saying this but I will in this instance, delete your account.

Archived