Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure there will. 

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad he's signed up. Lots of potential IMO, just don't want him fired into midfield. Looked good the last few games of the season at CB. Full Time training will definetly help him develope.

Just now, callum-ayr said:

I'm sure there will. 

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad he's signed up. Lots of potential IMO, just don't want him fired into midfield. Looked good the last few games of the season at CB. Full Time training will definetly help him develope.

To my recollection he barely played at centre back, other than a couple of games towards the end when Balatoni was injured?  

4 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

To my recollection he barely played at centre back, other than a couple of games towards the end when Balatoni was injured?  

So yes, a couple, a few, same thing?

So yes, a couple, a few, same thing?

No, I wouldn't generally regard 2 as being the same as a few.

Either way, if we've handed him a full time contract on the basis of the potential he showed last season as a centre back, I am somewhat puzzled.  Other than those 2 games and the one at the start of the season when we got gubbed down at Palmerston, I'm struggling to think of many other occasions he played centre back.  He did take over from Balatoni in the 6-2 game, but I accept the whole team was a write off that day.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but reckon Scott McKenna got more games at centre back (ouch).

3 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

No, I wouldn't generally regard 2 as being the same as a few.

Either way, if we've handed him a full time contract on the basis of the potential he showed last season as a centre back, I am somewhat puzzled.  Other than those 2 games and the one at the start of the season when we got gubbed down at Palmerston, I'm struggling to think of many other occasions he played centre back.  He did take over from Balatoni in the 6-2 game, but I accept the whole team was a write off that day.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but reckon Scott McKenna got more games at centre back (ouch).

McCall wants a squad of around 18 players plus 6 academy players. You surely can't expect 18 full time pros on healthy wages. We will need to give guys like Rose/McGuffie a chance of being in and around the first team. A young guy who has the potential to be a first team players and can cover 2/3 positions. 

McCall wants a squad of around 18 players plus 6 academy players. You surely can't expect 18 full time pros on healthy wages. We will need to give guys like Rose/McGuffie a chance of being in and around the first team. A young guy who has the potential to be a first team players and can cover 2/3 positions. 

The 6 academy players are the ones who should be classed as having the potential to play first team football.  The 18 should be players with some kind of proven pedigree at a first team level.  I wouldn't mind taking a punt on a young league 1 or 2 centre back who has 30/40 appearances at first team level as a development exercise.  Rose is heading towards 22 and as far as I can see, has played about a dozen first team games in his entire career at centre back.  Without provoking another semantic argument, I don't regard 21/22 as being a "young guy" in professional football terms.   It's not like we are playing at much of a standard either.  If you haven't established yourself at League 1 level by that age, I honestly don't believe you ever will.

Going full time is good news, but we need to be wise with our money, not fritter it on the dregs of last season.  The thought that we might line up in August with Gilmour, Adams and Rose in the team is depressing beyond belief.

4 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

The 6 academy players are the ones who should be classed as having the potential to play first team football.  The 18 should be players with some kind of proven pedigree at a first team level.  I wouldn't mind taking a punt on a young league 1 or 2 centre back who has 30/40 appearances at first team level as a development exercise.  Rose is heading towards 22 and as far as I can see, has played about a dozen first team games in his entire career at centre back.  Without provoking another semantic argument, I don't regard 21/22 as being a "young guy" in professional football terms.   It's not like we are playing at much of a standard either.  If you haven't established yourself at League 1 level by that age, I honestly don't believe you ever will.

Going full time is good news, but we need to be wise with our money, not fritter it on the dregs of last season.  The thought that we might line up in August with Gilmour, Adams and Rose in the team is depressing beyond belief.

Teams in the championship struggle to muster up a squad of 18 full time pros, we're not going to do it in league 1. The proof will be this time next season, I believe he can play a big part.

Adams absolutely scooshed this league the last time we were here, I wouldn't be too hasty in getting rid just yet, Gilmour I agree with and wouldn't be surprised if he moved on.

Archived