Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Apart from Balatoni, Devlin and McGuffie, losing any of the rest really doesn't bother me, 'mon Ian play hardball and get them all signed or punted sharpish, it'd be nice to go into pre season with 80/90% of our squad finalised, hopefully the new boy gets routines and diets ready for the lot of them as soon as they're confirmed.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCall needs to be clear on which system gets the club out of League One at the first time of asking and sign players accordingly.

If it's a patched up version of last season, it'll likely fail. We struggled past the likes of Clyde, Queens Park & Brechin last year, a repeat does not make us champions.

Especially at home, we need to be swarming all over the opposition. As most have said before, we badly need width and I'd like to see us play with 2 up top for the majority of the season.

Aggressive, in your face, on the front foot football.

13 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

McCall needs to be clear on which system gets the club out of League One at the first time of asking and sign players accordingly.

If it's a patched up version of last season, it'll likely fail. We struggled past the likes of Clyde, Queens Park & Brechin last year, a repeat does not make us champions.

Especially at home, we need to be swarming all over the opposition. As most have said before, we badly need width and I'd like to see us play with 2 up top for the majority of the season.

Aggressive, in your face, on the front foot football.

I agree with this 100%, we should be making the likes of Stranraer, Albion Rovers and East Fife look like the absoulote diddies they are. 

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Who's the team/club captain at Ayr? Any chance Higgins being given that role? He carried out his club captain's role at QOS very well, even when not featuring in the team. He's a decent signing but can sometimes be bit casual. Look out for a lot  of his clearances/ long passes landing in the grandstand or terrace. Hope he does well for you.

Our captain this season was Nicky Devlin who has now left. No official word on captains but I guess Higgins would fit the bill.

McCall said the system for next season would be designed to allow McDaid, McGuffie, Forrest to flourish without having defensive duties, and considering all the midfielders he's keeping, and saying he's in for one striker (Moore presumably), sounds like he's going to stack the midfield again and play one striker with one behind him (prob Harkins).

Has Higgins signed a full time contract with you are you staying part time. 

Really good signing for you many at Queens me included would have offered him a new contract at Queens.Left sided can play left back but best at centre half.Was the Queens captain for a few years till our new manager Gary Naysmith came in

39 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Has Higgins signed a full time contract with you are you staying part time. 

Really good signing for you many at Queens me included would have offered him a new contract at Queens.Left sided can play left back but best at centre half.Was the Queens captain for a few years till our new manager Gary Naysmith came in

We've gone full time. 

Don't know if I see Dundee utd beating Hamilton after today's result. Thought he'd have been good enough player to be going up another level.

Having seen Devlin for both us when he broke through and with you guys now he's got experience, I don't think he's quite top-level, yet anyway.

He's great with the overlaps, but even at this level he can be defensively suspect at times and I just don't think he's premiership quality at the moment, given the quality of some of the wide players. I think he'd be found out just now, albeit I think he could make the step up in the future.

16 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Having seen Devlin for both us when he broke through and with you guys now he's got experience, I don't think he's quite top-level, yet anyway.

He's great with the overlaps, but even at this level he can be defensively suspect at times and I just don't think he's premiership quality at the moment, given the quality of some of the wide players. I think he'd be found out just now, albeit I think he could make the step up in the future.

I presume that's why its not a done deal yet. Signs in the Championship, sorry in the Premiership. 

Archived