Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

It's so hard to see some sort of change in how we play when we retain Gilmour/Harkins/Forrest. All are no.10s and with only one being able to play, the others will be shoe horned into a position out wide that doesn't suit the team. I'm hoping Gilmour is released, it's just an extra body that we don't need. So what we have at the moment is:-

Goalkeepers: Fleming, Hart

Defenders: Higgins, Boyle

Midfielders: Gilmour, Harkins, McGuffie

Strikers: Forrest

Expect Rose, Docherty, Crawford, Adams to all re-sign and possibly Meggat. If possible and was down to me, I'd re-sign Cairney/Doc/Adams and release Crawford along with Gilmour. That leaves us plenty of cover in the centre of midfield. McCall really needs to add width this season, another 2 on top of Guff and Forrest required. If McDaid is one I would be happy with that.

Striker wise, I fully expect Moore to sign on and would be happy, he was extremely unlucky last year, that head injury was just freak and was fine otherwise. Was great at this level before, but need 2 others in, Moffat one?

Academy players I can see being in and around the squad are Faulds, Balfour, Murphy (who have all been involved in match day squads last season) and possibly Waite and Thorburn, both full backs.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I will say is, if we were to go into the season with Doc/Adams/Gilmour/Cairney/Harkins/Crawford all signed, the writing would be on the wall for McCall. Especially when 2 of the youth players he's touting to be in the squad are centre mids, there would be no change of tactics from last season.

1 hour ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Heard from A good source crawfords not re signing apparently going to livi

That would involve a reasonable amount of compensation - I hope they're good for it.

3 hours ago, munro7 said:

So at the minute assuming those offered deals sign we could be looking at something like:

----------------------Fleming---------------------
RB---------Meggat/Rose------Higgins-----Boyle
------------Crawford-------Docherty--------------
------Forrest-------Harkins---------McGuffie
------------------Striker------------------------

Should be decent enough for league 1 I would have thought. Still a concerning lack of width and a lot will depend on who we get up front I guess.

That team looks utterly horrendous.  No pace.  No width.  

I quite like Crawford, but I'd rather have Doc, Adams or Cairney in the middle or Forrest, McGuffie further forward in the middle, and he doesn't have the pace to play wide right.

Good luck to him though if he gets a move to livi, or are we getting him mixed up with the Robbie Crawford that has just been freed by Dunfermline.......

Robbie Crawford has always been a player that has divided opinion... mine? He was our best player during the second-half of this (last) season up until he got injured and we badly missed him during the run in. Would take him over Docherty, Cairney and Adams easily and it would be very disappointing to see him leave.

Livi would have to pay a fairly decent fee for him, I'm sure I saw somewhere it is about £10k a year over the age of 16 it is normally calculated at
Unless Ayr didn't meet the deadline to offer him a new deal, I don't see him signing for another Scottish team

Livi would have to pay a fairly decent fee for him, I'm sure I saw somewhere it is about £10k a year over the age of 16 it is normally calculated at
Unless Ayr didn't meet the deadline to offer him a new deal, I don't see him signing for another Scottish team

Who's the team/club captain at Ayr? Any chance Higgins being given that role? He carried out his club captain's role at QOS very well, even when not featuring in the team. He's a decent signing but can sometimes be bit casual. Look out for a lot  of his clearances/ long passes landing in the grandstand or terrace. Hope he does well for you.

Would be disappointed to lose Rab. I'm surprised (well, not really) that so many people don't rate him. He has been through many phases of form since coming into the first team years ago but apart from a very early season when he broke through, I'd say he performed best this season. He looked good against much better opposition than previous years. When he isn't in the team we badly miss his energy and drive, and his previously rotten first touch has also improved. Only midfielder I would put on the team sheet before him is Docherty.

1 hour ago, thegreatpretender said:

No compensation for Crawford too old and his last contract took him out of that compensation due contract.

He's still only 22.

Although he turns 23 in June which is probably before the start of next season, so maybe not.

I have to say I didn't think he was that old.

Robbie Crawford has always been a player that has divided opinion... mine? He was our best player during the second-half of this (last) season up until he got injured and we badly missed him during the run in. Would take him over Docherty, Cairney and Adams easily and it would be very disappointing to see him leave.

Would be disappointed to lose Rab. I'm surprised (well, not really) that so many people don't rate him. He has been through many phases of form since coming into the first team years ago but apart from a very early season when he broke through, I'd say he performed best this season. He looked good against much better opposition than previous years. When he isn't in the team we badly miss his energy and drive, and his previously rotten first touch has also improved. Only midfielder I would put on the team sheet before him is Docherty.

This and this. I would have Crawford in my team before Cairney every single time. I also think we missed him latterly this season.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Screenshot_20170519-173423.thumb.jpg.b12ad59a324dea384bc0a96751dd7e8d.jpg

1 hour ago, Joma Boo said:

He's still only 22.

Although he turns 23 in June which is probably before the start of next season, so maybe not.

I have to say I didn't think he was that old.

He's too old for compensation if he turns 23 before July 1st.

Archived