Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Whatever happens the style of play has to change. This tippy tappy attempt at playing possession football just simply doesn't work and more to the point it's absolutely atrocious as a viewing spectacle. Football is all about scoring goals and creating excitement, recently, we've been doing neither and that's totally unacceptable.

More and more top sides are reverting to the traditional 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 and it's certainly working for the likes of Juventus. Let's get back to a recognised shape with players knowing their position and knowing their role within the team. It's not in any way complicated and why we try to play like Barcelona when some of our players have 2 left feet and can't control a ball is just beyond me.

Give up on this failed experiment McCall and let's get back to basics.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

While I agree with you in thinking Raith Rovers will win the league next season, no way would I describe any of those three players as "far too good for this level".

Lewis Vaughan is easily too good for League 1 and I reckon Cuthbert could get a game for anyone in the Championship.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Whatever happens the style of play has to change. This tippy tappy attempt at playing possession football just simply doesn't work and more to the point it's absolutely atrocious as a viewing spectacle. Football is all about scoring goals and creating excitement, recently, we've been doing neither and that's totally unacceptable.

More and more top sides are reverting to the traditional 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 and it's certainly working for the likes of Juventus. Let's get back to a recognised shape with players knowing their position and knowing their role within the team. It's not in any way complicated and why we try to play like Barcelona when some of our players have 2 left feet and can't control a ball is just beyond me.

I agree. I'd go as far as to say lower league players in Scotland don't have the nous for anything other than the 4-4-2 they've been brought up with.

To be honest I don't think anything other than that is necessary. It's actually not that hard to put a decent first X11 together at this level. I don't know why some managers complicate it.

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

What would be an instance of 'tippy tappy' football in practice, and what's the alternative to it? It's something my youth managers used to shout about when we deviated from their instructions of punting the ball into the corners and having folk chase after it.

In any case, it's a real stretch to accuse this Ayr team of trying to play anything that even remotely resembles possession football. Ayr had a majority of the possession in about half of this season's league games (source), which is hardly the mark of a team trying to play possession football and is about what I'd expect for a team whose main route forward was having Darryl Meggat lump the ball at whoever happened to be upfront.

Genuinely, what formation do you think Ayr have been playing this season? The first half of the second home game against St Mirren aside, I can't recall any instances of Ayr not playing 4-4-2 (or a slight variation of it) this season. The only fundamental difference in formations at this level is whether you play 3 or 4 at the back - everything else is just tweaking those two systems slightly. And, to be honest, I can't understand how anyone could look at the squad of players we assembled this season and conclude that a 4-4-2 was the way to go. We had an abundance of centre halves and centre midfielders, no wingers and the living embodiment of what a wing back should be in Nicky Devlin. That team was a competent left wing back away from being ideally suited to a 3-5-2, which isn't an at all complicated system to play and is used by plenty of lower league teams. The problems upfront admittedly would have remained, but they wouldn't have been any greater than they were under a 4-4-2, and if anything might have been alleviated slightly by having an extra central midfielder who was able to break forward freely without having to worry about leaving the team exposed.

Hopefully we should hear in the next few days all the players who have signed on for next year, Devlin moving so quickly to knock back a deal wasn't a surprise, the rest not being announced would suggest they were all open to the idea of staying. 

1 hour ago, Meathead said:

Genuinely, what formation do you think Ayr have been playing this season? 

4-1-1-1-1-1-1-0

As an aside, I think the point is more about personnel. If we were playing 4-4-2 last season then about five of the front six were out of position.

3 minutes ago, Joma Boo said:

4-1-1-1-1-1-1-0

As an aside, I think the point is more about personnel. If we were playing 4-4-2 last season the about five of the front six were out of position.

Yeah I agree with you. All season it was a case of playing square pegs in round holes because McCall stuck rigidly to the same system and it didn't suit the team. I'd have no issue with playing 4-4-2 if we had the personnel for it, but we didn't and I think the persistence with it is more to blame than the ability of the players this season.

Side note, after the last few years of good early kit releases, I see we've resorted back to no word on the new one. Disappointing, hope it's not going to be like that year the pirates stole them or they were being held in a containership at HMRC.

IIRC we started pre season and a few competitive games without the new tops.

We only announced them about this time last year, a week or two after the playoff final if I remember. They were then on sale by mid-June.  I hope we go back to the less expensive teamwear route, rather than the Adidas 'mi-team' where the shirts may look great but are more expensive.  Don't be surprised for it to be one of these, if it is the teamwear rather than bespoke look.

http://www.directsoccer.co.uk/football-kits-c1/mens-football-kit-c2/football-jerseys-c5/adidas-m1/white-t6

At what point this season were we playing tippy tappy football?  Definitely missed that.  Most games we didn't seem to see much of the ball full stop and in others we were mainly punting the ball long to Forrest/Harkins/El Alagui.  Bottom line for me is that we should play a formation that suits the players we have and I can't see that 4-4-2 every week was ever the right way to go given we didn't have a recognised wide midfielder in the team.  

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

We only announced them about this time last year, a week or two after the playoff final if I remember. They were then on sale by mid-June.  I hope we go back to the less expensive teamwear route, rather than the Adidas 'mi-team' where the shirts may look great but are more expensive.  Don't be surprised for it to be one of these, if it is the teamwear rather than bespoke look.

http://www.directsoccer.co.uk/football-kits-c1/mens-football-kit-c2/football-jerseys-c5/adidas-m1/white-t6

This is where we get them from

http://football1st.com/Adidas/adidasteamwearsh.html

I think Andy Muir works for them or something. 

Wonder if we will huv a lassie wae her baps oot this year promoting the new taps ....hope they make a purple n green like the year we won the league

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Given the recent rise of over sensitive feminists, who actively seek things to be offended by, I doubt it.

A real shame.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Given the recent rise of over sensitive feminists, who actively seek things to be offended by, I doubt it.

A real shame.

Pretty confident that Bodog don't give a shit about feminists and after our kit launch will arrange their own as always.  

Recon Calvin should just no have pro models this year and just use his 11 hingers on. 

FB_IMG_1494949388098.jpg

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

This is where we get them from

http://football1st.com/Adidas/adidasteamwearsh.html

I think Andy Muir works for them or something. 

Aye that's right - but that website isn't the most up-to-date, Direct Soccer has the newest stuff.  It's all off the peg stuff really, but after last year they may look to reduce the costs/prices.  I quite like the one with the black collar - simple really.  

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Pretty confident that Bodog don't give a shit about feminists and after our kit launch will arrange their own as always.  

Recon Calvin should just no have pro models this year and just use his 11 hingers on. 

FB_IMG_1494949388098.jpg

Quantity over quality I see

Archived