Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

When was the last time we played in a league without one of these Fife Fcukers?

2004/05 if you're counting the lesser-spotted 6 fingered variety as well.

Wonder if McCall is starting to regret his "Only a League title will do" statement from last week. Still, at least with us being relegated we should no longer hear the managers "Remember where this club was 2 years ago" patter.

Wonder if McCall is starting to regret his "Only a League title will do" statement from last week. Still, at least with us being relegated we should no longer hear the managers "Remember where this club was 2 years ago" patter.

I don't think he will regret it. Raith appear to be a sinking ship and the John Hughes is the first man to jump overboard. It's early days and I can imagine Raith fans quoting this if they do win the league but I can see Raith doing a Cowdenbeath and plummeting towards League 2.

Rumours abound on Twitter that every player has been told to find a new club at Raith. Raith fans going mental on here too at the prospect.

If that's the case then I'd take Bobby Barr. The longest running will he won't he sign transfer rumour I can remember for Ayr.

If that's the case then I'd take Bobby Barr. The longest running will he won't he sign transfer rumour I can remember for Ayr.

On signing, McCall remarks that he can see Barr playing through the middle.

First game of the season: A 17 stone Harkins plays wide right while long balls are played to an isolated Barr up front.

Would absolutely love us to sign him but no chance!

9 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Think he's been linked with us for every window for about the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I don't think he will regret it. Raith appear to be a sinking ship and the John Hughes is the first man to jump overboard. It's early days and I can imagine Raith fans quoting this if they do win the league but I can see Raith doing a Cowdenbeath and plummeting towards League 2.

Shouldn't every relegated manager get the bullet ?

Shouldn't every relegated manager get the bullet ?

Tbf to Hughes Raith were gonna go down regardless. The decision to appoint Locke was bizarre and was ultimately their downfall. You could argue that they weren't in the relegation places when Hughes came in but St Mirren were on the up and it always looked likely that they would catch them.

I don't think every team that gets relegated should automatically sack their manager. It all depends on what club it is though. If Falkirk or Dundee Utd had gone down then yes I would say the manager has made some major errors and should go but when you've just come up through the play offs after having been extremely unconvincing in the play off final and are the favourites to go down then you can't be entirely shocked when you eventually do go down.

We gave Brian Reid another chance when I would have quite happily seen him go. I don't think McCall is another Brian Reid though and he seems to know what he's doing (contrary to what most fans think). This season the decision to stay part time and sign a good striker cost us. No one knows who made the decision to stay part time and it seems that McCall was trying to sign someone in January but no one was interested in part time football.

Short answer, no I don't think every relegated manager should immediately go. But it depends on the club.

Tbf to Hughes Raith were gonna go down regardless. The decision to appoint Locke was bizarre and was ultimately their downfall. You could argue that they weren't in the relegation places when Hughes came in but St Mirren were on the up and it always looked likely that they would catch them.

I don't think every team that gets relegated should automatically sack their manager. It all depends on what club it is though. If Falkirk or Dundee Utd had gone down then yes I would say the manager has made some major errors and should go but when you've just come up through the play offs after having been extremely unconvincing in the play off final and are the favourites to go down then you can't be entirely shocked when you eventually do go down.

We gave Brian Reid another chance when I would have quite happily seen him go. I don't think McCall is another Brian Reid though and he seems to know what he's doing (contrary to what most fans think). This season the decision to stay part time and sign a good striker cost us. No one knows who made the decision to stay part time and it seems that McCall was trying to sign someone in January but no one was interested in part time football.

Short answer, no I don't think every relegated manager should immediately go. But it depends on the club.

Would argue that Reid knew what he was doing far more than McCall did. Thinking back to Reid's time it's pretty clear he wasn't backed financially nearly as much as McCall.

Would argue that Reid knew what he was doing far more than McCall did. Thinking back to Reid's time it's pretty clear he wasn't backed financially nearly as much as McCall.

McCall is a far better manager than Reid. Reid might have been more used to relegation dog fights but I'd take McCall in the dug out over Reid.
Yogi should have been able to get them to the point where they could negotiate a double-header against Brechin. He's fucked that pretty badly.

All I would say is that Raith were the worst team that I watched last season. I think Hughes probably regretted taking the job after about a week after realising what kind of players he had inherited.

That speech he made after losing to St Mirren all but confirmed relegation imo, just a matter of time.

All I would say is that Raith were the worst team that I watched last season. I think Hughes probably regretted taking the job after about a week after realising what kind of players he had inherited.

That speech he made after losing to St Mirren all but confirmed relegation imo, just a matter of time.

Can't agree.

Both took over mid season, Reid (and McGowan) rejuvenated an infighting aide. McCall barely improved us.

Reid got us promoted in far more style, whereas both of their relegations were obviously pretty awful.

Certainly nothing to suggest McCall is far better based on their records.

ETA wouldn't let me quote the right part!

Archived