Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Geggan had a wobbly start to the season but has been heroic as our new right back. Far too good for League One. Moff is probably one AJ will mull over. His shooting lets him down (except against Morton) but he fits in well with our style of play, bombing forward on counter attacks.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCall is the one pushing forward with trying to go Full Time and has more ambition than the directors and owner for this to happen which says it all.

If it wasn't for McCall this club wouldn't even be considering going full-time and yes he hasn't delivered with the results over the last season and failed to keep us in the Championship but i believe he's the best man for taking us into Full Time and it will benefit the club in the long-term.

I have to admit though i'm not sure how the club would be able to finance going full-time and certainly i feel as if sooner rather than later we need fan representation on the board.

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I have no desire to see Geggan or Moff play for Ayr again.  I'd actually rather we went out and found good players rather than trying to convince folk to come back and be inevitably crap.  

Wouldn't take Andy Geggan at Ayr in League 1 :lol:

Have a word with yourself.

McCall is the one pushing forward with trying to go Full Time and has more ambition than the directors and owner for this to happen which says it all.

Easy to be ambitious when it's not your cash... you say yourself you don't how full time football would be financed, the Board is absolutely right not to rush into it, doesn't mean they're not ambitious.

As for fan representation - they're all fans on the board. The issue isn't representation it's communication. Compare and contrast the output for our Board with, for example, the lengthy statement released by Dunfermline's Chairman or the monthly updates from St. Mirren.

Lachlan is generally open to answering questions, the 'Meet the Directors' event was well intentioned but when do our Board ever tell us what is happening? Set out what they are trying to achieve?

Surely nobody actually believes you could get Geggan or Moffat? Both were playing regularly in the latter stages of the season, when we were at our best. I'd be amazed if we weren't offering them deals, even more amazed if no other team in the league wanted them, should they be available for free.

As for Ayr, I had a lot of sympathy for you this season. Because of the way prize money is allocated, you had a much smaller budget than everyone else. 2015/16, when we were both promoted, the prize money that Ayr got was £90,730 and the prize money that 8th in the championship (lowest team to remain in the league) got was £168,800. Right from the off, you had a very tough task. It didn't help that you had Moore out injured for so long either.

All the best for next season, I hope you can build a decent squad, to get yourselves back up to the championship. I'm sure we'll see you again soon - we must be due a cup tie against you, that's us had a full season without one!

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

If it wasn't for McCall this club wouldn't even be considering going full-time and yes he hasn't delivered with the results over the last season and failed to keep us in the Championship but i believe he's the best man for taking us into Full Time and it will benefit the club in the long-term.

I have to admit though i'm not sure how the club would be able to finance going full-time and certainly i feel as if sooner rather than later we need fan representation on the board.

But we're lead to believe the club intended to go full-time this season, but McCall's preference was to remain part-time.

I wonder, if in the longer term, could it not be cheaper to use Somerset to train?  Unusual I know for teams to train at their stadium, but it raises question about a 4g?  Wouldn't have to lease it out as such but could be handy for academy too?  Would put paid to Jamie Adams though....

7 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Somewhere tae train ....get them running up the carrick hills wae lead boots oan ....ally style

Pre-season, fair enough. I wouldn't want to be doing that through snow in the middle of winter, though.

Although, to be honest, that's what most of those p***ks deserve.

I'm pretty sure even if we go full time the budget will be less than last season. Will be full of youngsters. Not a bad thing though.

I'm pretty sure even if we go full time the budget will be less than last season. Will be full of youngsters. Not a bad thing though.

I'm not so sure about that...

Going with kids could be very, very difficult.

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Wouldn't take Andy Geggan at Ayr in League 1 :lol:

Have a word with yourself.

I am just generally not interested in Ayr always trying to sign former players, it's very Stranraer and probably why we end up similarly placed to them most years.  It almost never works out for the player or the club.  Didn't say I wouldn't take him. As in theory it's a good move, it's the practice I'm fed up with. 

Anyway, we are well stocked in centre midfeild seeing as McCall wants to resign everyone who plays there.  Absolutely won't be him.  

Archived