Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Just now, Sons Fan said:

Was just asking the question. He showed great potential with us and got the move but it didn't seem to work out so just wondering if he was playing well or another player who thinks he better than he is. 

I don't know if he's a billy bigbaws off the park but he doesn't come across like that on the park when I've been there, IMHO he has enough pace to do as well as nearly every other full back in Scotland, defensively it'll depend which right mid and right-sided CH are played along side him, he'll probably not be any better or worse than the majority of full backs defensively.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I suspect Sons Fan was more asking out of interest for a former player, he's a cracking guy and still has plenty of friends at the Rock.

I'd love to see him win a move back to the Premier League. 

I'll be disappointed for him if he ends up at DUFC as I think he deserves a crack at the big league, unlike some of our support I think he's good enough to cut it at Hearts or similar.

I'm certainly not one that's hoping he stays at Ayr, he's done his shift and it's time for him to move on and better himself, he'll be getting my sincerest best wishes when he does go. 

I'll be disappointed for him if he ends up at DUFC as I think he deserves a crack at the big league, unlike some of our support I think he's good enough to cut it at Hearts or similar.
I'm certainly not one that's hoping he stays at Ayr, he's done his shift and it's time for him to move on and better himself, he'll be getting my sincerest best wishes when he does go. 

Probably fair, he could have went last year but gave us an extra year.

Amazingly some of our support don't think he has been trying since January which is just baffling. The only criticism you could possibly give is that I don't think he's the right captain for our team. He leads by example but most of our side seem to need more than that to respond, that's certainly not Devlin's fault however.

His defending has improved massively with us IMO. If he can improve his final ball at times, (it's often hard to tell if this is partially due to our static forward players) and continue to improve his defending I don't see why he wouldn't do well at the likes of Hearts.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Why, if he headed to your lot it would show a distinct lack of ambition, no offence but he's better than your level and needs a move that allows him to prove it.

Davie Smith is a better defender, he'd struggle to get a game with us.

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Davie Smith is a better defender, he'd struggle to get a game with us.

I'm quite sure his next wage packet will help him get over it.

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Only surprising aspect is that Devlin isn't already away too.

Yeah, no shocks there. I presume we either haven't met with the rest yet or they have all been offered contracts. 

From the Carrick Herald yesterday:

MIDFIELD ace Ross Docherty and manager Ian McCall are setting their sights on taking Ayr United straight back to the Championship, after they were relegated to League One.

Needing to beat hosts Raith Rovers 5-0 at Stark's Park on Saturday to make the play-offs, they lost 2-1 to the Fifers, meaning their stay in the second tier ended after just one season.

McCall was bitterly disappointed and said: "I am gutted. I take responsibility for relegation, this is the first time it has happened to me. The second half was much better, Ross Docherty scored a great goal and had two or three chances, but it encapsulates our season when Alan Forrest missed a penalty - he’s never looked like missing a penalty all season."

Looking ahead he said: "The aim will be to go straight back up to the Championship."

The boss hopes to build the team around Alan Forrest, Craig McGuffie, Robbie Crawford and Ross Docherty.

But he added: "We will have to see who is staying or going and I will have to talk to the players first."

Sportscene understand other clubs are sniffing around Docherty, skipper Nicky Devlin, goalie Greg Fleming and Crawford.

Docherty, who is out of contract said: "I would like to stay at Ayr and will hopefully get an offer. There have been some highs - in the first quarter we did well but that's possibly because we were an unknown quantity. We had a great win at Hibs but then had a form dip. The fans have given us great backing and hopefully we can right back up again."

Meanwhile Fleming has recovered after being treated in hospital but released on Saturday night with a neck and head injury. Striker Craig Moore, who suffered a cheek and shoulder injury is also okay.

On 5/6/2017 at 21:41, Meathead said:

If we're looking at recently released centre halves from this division then Andy Dowie and/or Chris Higgins would be far more preferable than BRE. An ambitious target could also be Ben Gordon if St Mirren let him go.

I'd also like to see us try to sign Alan Cook from Stenhousemuir if he recovers from his injury soon. It's about time we signed a proper winger.

Released by St Mirren. Sign him up.

Archived