Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

If we're looking at recently released centre halves from this division then Andy Dowie and/or Chris Higgins would be far more preferable than BRE. An ambitious target could also be Ben Gordon if St Mirren let him go.

I'd also like to see us try to sign Alan Cook from Stenhousemuir if he recovers from his injury soon. It's about time we signed a proper winger.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Meathead said:

If we're looking at recently released centre halves from this division then Andy Dowie and/or Chris Higgins would be far more preferable than BRE. An ambitious target could also be Ben Gordon if St Mirren let him go.

I'd also like to see us try to sign Alan Cook from Stenhousemuir if he recovers from his injury soon. It's about time we signed a proper winger.

We've surely got to sign Bobby Barr at some point :lol:

Hilson was very good at Forfar in League 1. These types of players are the ones we should be looking at that. Will end up with Ryan Stevenson though.

Agreed he was pretty solid, but should we not be looking for a higher calibre of player if we go full time. Winning the league is the main objective but is he a player for the Championship. One of the main problems was taking players that simply weren't good enough for a Championship team like Gilmour, Adams, Donald and even Crawford looked out of his depth this season.

I think McCall will sign players that will win the league but also ones that could compete in the league above.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

IMG_3028.PNG

I didn't even notice that. I was too busy being horrified that he was getting a one year deal.

Actually, look at what McCall is saying about Gilmour. Brian fucking Gilmour.

I knew there was a reason I was scared before the season started. I think he said something similar about Murphy.

I didn't even notice that. I was too busy being horrified that he was getting a one year deal.
Actually, look at what McCall is saying about Gilmour. Brian fucking Gilmour.
I knew there was a reason I was scared before the season started. I think he said something similar about Murphy.

At least Murphy looked semi competent in the games he played. Apart from the winner at Easter Road I can't remember another good thing he did this season.

For a supposed set piece expert his corners and free kicks are hopeless.

18 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Agreed he was pretty solid, but should we not be looking for a higher calibre of player if we go full time. Winning the league is the main objective but is he a player for the Championship. One of the main problems was taking players that simply weren't good enough for a Championship team like Gilmour, Adams, Donald and even Crawford looked out of his depth this season.

I think McCall will sign players that will win the league but also ones that could compete in the league above.

The Queen of the South fans seem fairly disappointed that Hilson has been let go, which would suggest they think he's good enough to play at Championship level. We'll be doing pretty well next season if we build a squad that he wouldn't be good enough for. Were it not for his injury troubles I doubt we'd even be discussing whether he's a viable target.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

At least Murphy looked semi competent in the games he played. Apart from the winner at Easter Road I can't remember another good thing he did this season.

For a supposed set piece expert his corners and free kicks are hopeless.

I hate Gilmour's corners. On the occasion he does manage to get it past the first man it's these high looping slow balls that take all day to come down making it impossible to attack them.

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Hilson is only released as he has been injured

Could walk into your team,especially in league below

He'll be looking to stay this level but if yous go full time you might be a attractive place for released players

We've got enough of them. Could he run?

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'll give him a lift up the road. He's been a fucking disgrace for ayr.

And I'll happily fuel your car up.

2 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I've honestly not seen anything from McCall that suggests he has what it takes to play decent football never mind win League 1.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I hate Gilmour's corners. On the occasion he does manage to get it past the first man it's these high looping slow balls that take all day to come down making it impossible to attack them.

Those are the crosses all our players like to put in, whipped in with lots of pace is the only way when the opposition has a clear height advantage.

I was really excited when we got Harkins and, initially, he did show some touches of class that made me think that he'd be a great player for us.

In the end I'd rather have kept Stevo. At least you know he cares about the club and would have scored a few.

I was really excited when we got Harkins and, initially, he did show some touches of class that made me think that he'd be a great player for us.
In the end I'd rather have kept Stevo. At least you know he cares about the club and would have scored a few.

Watch the highlights for the first Dumbarton away game again, the 3-0 victory. The difference in Harkins between then and now, his effort and fitness levels, highlights what a lazy melt he has developed into.

I've honestly not seen anything from McCall that suggests he has what it takes to play decent football never mind win League 1.

Agreed. If today wasn't the day to field an attacking line-up then I can't see him changing. Playing Gilmour centre mid and sticking with the same formation that hasn't worked all season makes him look like a one trick pony.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Team doesn't need anymore runners, we've got Farid El Stuckingluei. We're sorted.

Foreign= bad

Archived