Stranraer FC 2017-18

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've got yourselves a really decent player in Tom Lang.
Pair him up with a rugged, old-fashioned leader of a centre-back and I reckon he'll be a big hit.

In Morgyn Neill we have that, just defends and that's it.
Both young guys who will be hungry to get another craic at full-time. Look forward to seeing them together.
Be funny seeing a centre back with pace playing for Stranraer.

7 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

In Morgyn Neill we have that, just defends and that's it.
Both young guys who will be hungry to get another craic at full-time. Look forward to seeing them together.
Be funny seeing a centre back with pace playing for Stranraer.

Aye, that should work, though I feel like Neill will need to be a leader back there - albeit with guys like Bell, Robertson and Barron around him he'll have experience and leadership around him.

He just has a real confidence about the way he plays that you'll notice immediately. He just looks assured. Sure you'll see moments of inexperienced, but that's pretty common for a guy with such little senior experience. 

How many have you got signed up now? It must be close to 14 or 15?

You've got yourselves a really decent player in Tom Lang, as any of you who read our thread will know I'm a massive fan of his, and was gutted we didn't keep him on.
He's a proper modern centre-half. Hugely confident on the ball and good with it at his feet. He's rapid and decent in the air too, and I've no doubt has the ability to play at a higher level than both of our clubs.
Pair him up with a rugged, old-fashioned leader of a centre-back and I reckon he'll be a big hit. He may have only played a few hundred minutes for us, but I was impressed. His only start came in a 4-0 home win against Raith Rovers, and he absolutely strolled it. Him and Darren Barr worked together absolutely perfectly.
His family are good people too. His Dad was a regular in our away end, and seemed to enjoy the whole Sons' fan experience.
Good luck to him, I hope it works out well and my gut instinct is proven right [emoji4]

Aye, that should work, though I feel like Neill will need to be a leader back there - albeit with guys like Bell, Robertson and Barron around him he'll have experience and leadership around him.
He just has a real confidence about the way he plays that you'll notice immediately. He just looks assured. Sure you'll see moments of inexperienced, but that's pretty common for a guy with such little senior experience. 

As So08 says, Lang looks like he could be a really good player. I'm in the same boat as So08 in that I too was disappointed he wasn't offered a deal by us.

As I've said on our thread though, he needs to be playing games for his development and at League One he should do that and I reckon he could be a standout at that level.

As said already, he looks assured on ball, beyond his years to be honest. And for someone who didn't get starts with us and was put on as a sub in differing game situations, his reading of the game and judgement in the tackle were excellent.

I'd have been more than happy for him to be backup to Barr and Buchanan for us this season, but I wish him all the best at Stranraer, hope he continues to improve and is a real asset for you guys.

38 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Twelve signed at the minute. Probably a left back shy, couple of wingers and another forward.

Twelve signed at the minute. Probably a left back shy, couple of wingers and another forward.

Well that's twelve more than us!

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sparky fill that left-back void.

7 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Well that's twelve more than us!

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sparky fill that left-back void.

It has been mentioned that he'll join us but, we've offered Liam Dick a contract. Both great players for League One. Dick was supposed to join St Mirren in January but, fell through. I'd imagine full time football beckons for the boy though. No more than he deserves.

Couple of good signings in Woods and Lang. Woods looks a decent player after watching a couple of highlights of East Kilbride games. Going by what the Dumbarton boys are saying we have ourself a top-drawer centre half in Lang to pair with Neil and Barron. Heard sparky might be Ayr bound but would love to see him back at the club. As said above hopefully sign dick up again but feel like he will leave it till last minute. Couple of wingers and another striker (please not amadou) then we will be ready for a very tough league next season 

Stranraer doing well in terms of getting faces in early, but a quick question. Do you feel you're replacing players like Malcolm/Pettigrew/Gibson/McGuigan with like for like quality or improving? See you have Morgan Neil who I was not impressed with at this level with us, who then went on to sign in the Championship with Livi and hadn't heard of since . How's he done for you and where do you reckon you'll be come the end of the season.

Stranraer doing well in terms of getting faces in early, but a quick question. Do you feel you're replacing players like Malcolm/Pettigrew/Gibson/McGuigan with like for like quality or improving? See you have Morgan Neil who I was not impressed with at this level with us, who then went on to sign in the Championship with Livi and hadn't heard of since . How's he done for you and where do you reckon you'll be come the end of the season.

Gibson is pretty much irreplaceable at this level and I'd imagine the manager is fully aware of that and therefore tried to find something different.
Pettigrew and McGuigan were more bit part players last season.
Think Faz must have something lined up when he's prepared to let Malcolm and McGuigan go as we went most of last season a forward short, so means, ideally he brings in four. So far we have Wallace and Woods who come with a decent reputation. Woods not an out and put forward though.
Be silly to even take a stab at where we'll finish given how early it is.

7 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

There target will be to at least take a point off the Super. Same as always 

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Delighted at early signings. One of our problems in recent years has been last minute signings leading to slow starts to the season.

It was the midnight bit, not May.

11 hours ago, mickmoorejnr said:

Couple of good signings in Woods and Lang. Woods looks a decent player after watching a couple of highlights of East Kilbride games. Going by what the Dumbarton boys are saying we have ourself a top-drawer centre half in Lang to pair with Neil and Barron. Heard sparky might be Ayr bound but would love to see him back at the club. As said above hopefully sign dick up again but feel like he will leave it till last minute. Couple of wingers and another striker (please not amadou) then we will be ready for a very tough league next season 

I highly doubt we will sign that jobber.  

Archived