Stranraer FC 2017-18

With the relief of securing our place in League One for another season, just starting a thread where we can discuss comings and goings and developments over the summer.

Three defeats since Faz took over in January rescued us, but I doubt he'll be taken in by that as there still need to be changes, given the number of draws we have still had.

So, who will stay and who will go? What squad will we have by the time we face diverse opposition in the shape of Larne (24th June) and FC Twente (8th July)?

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearing

Pettigrew, Currie, Kemp, McGuigan, Morena all being released

Gibson and Belford moving on?  Malky to the Kilby if they come up? Wilson Kassarate and Neill back to parent clubs.

Could be a busy 6 weeks

Who would you keep, release and look to bring in

2 hours ago, 1870ToonBlue said:

Hearing

Pettigrew, Currie, Kemp, McGuigan, Morena all being released

Gibson and Belford moving on?  Malky to the Kilby if they come up? Wilson Kassarate and Neill back to parent clubs.

Could be a busy 6 weeks

Who would you keep, release and look to bring in

I've heard Stevie Farrell is looking to keep ten. Whether that is ten players he wants to keep that he knows might stay or whether that is ten including folk that are likely to be off (Dick, etc), I'm not sure. Turner and Agnew are both under contract, so, those are two of the ten, I imagine.

I had heard Pettigrew, Currie, McGuigan and Morena but the rumour I heard was Kemp would be invited for pre-season. I would imagine McCloskey is away as well. Throw in that I think at least one of Gibson and Belford will be away and you are looking for a goalkeeper. I think Malky will likely stay for another year at least but Wilson, Kassarate and Neill will be back to their parent clubs. Whether Neill has a future at Livi is debateable at best. If he is available, I would take him in a heartbeat.

Players I would want to stay: Turner, Agnew, Robertson, Barron, Thomson, Donald, Malcolm, Gibson, Belford, Bell, Dick. Throw in Neill, if available. I think that leaves you looking for at least one GK, at least one full back (two if Dick goes), I would like someone fresh in the middle as well and we need something up front as well as Malky.

By the sounds of things Gibson is away. Pretty special player on his day but if he doesn't want to play for us we don't need him. He will however be hard to replace.

Dick has made noises about going full time which he certainly deserves, for me he's been the best left back in the league this season. Apparently was on the verge of signing for St Mirren in January but fell through.

Been no secret about Turner training with Aberdeen so he's another that could well be on the move, although one more season with us would do him no harm.

Got a feeing Malcolm may have played his last game for us but, hope not. Can see him ending up with his friends at East Kilbride.

Morena and McGuigan appear to be out of favour under Faz, not too fussed about Morena but think McGuigan has something to offer.

Currie will no doubt move on to look for first team football.

Don't see Bell, Robertson or Barron going anywhere else so hopefully tie up their services pretty quick. Hopefully get first dibs on Morgan Neill if he's released. Need to try and find someone with a bit of pace to fit in beside him though.  

That leaves Thomson, Donald, Belford, Kemp, McCloskey, Pettigrew. Expect the first three to be offered deals. Unsure about the other.

Regardless of how stays or goes I'm pretty confident we Faz will build a team capable of a play-off place.

Rumours of Ayr United going for similar set up as Airdrie next season. Full time with a squad of youngsters. Hopefully that will make for a more even league.

2 hours ago, Mattmc said:

By the sounds of things Gibson is away. Pretty special player on his day but if he doesn't want to play for us we don't need him. He will however be hard to replace.

Dick has made noises about going full time which he certainly deserves, for me he's been the best left back in the league this season. Apparently was on the verge of signing for St Mirren in January but fell through.

Been no secret about Turner training with Aberdeen so he's another that could well be on the move, although one more season with us would do him no harm.

Got a feeing Malcolm may have played his last game for us but, hope not. Can see him ending up with his friends at East Kilbride.

Morena and McGuigan appear to be out of favour under Faz, not too fussed about Morena but think McGuigan has something to offer.

Currie will no doubt move on to look for first team football.

Don't see Bell, Robertson or Barron going anywhere else so hopefully tie up their services pretty quick. Hopefully get first dibs on Morgan Neill if he's released. Need to try and find someone with a bit of pace to fit in beside him though.  

That leaves Thomson, Donald, Belford, Kemp, McCloskey, Pettigrew. Expect the first three to be offered deals. Unsure about the other.

Regardless of how stays or goes I'm pretty confident we Faz will build a team capable of a play-off place.

Rumours of Ayr United going for similar set up as Airdrie next season. Full time with a squad of youngsters. Hopefully that will make for a more even league.

Be interesting with Gibson, more than happy to see him re-sign and he would be difficult to replace. He can be frustrating at times but I would rather him with us than against us. Hopefully, any rumoured issues between player and manager can be put aside. I think Dick will be off but I think there is a decent chance Turner will still be here. Agree that Morena and McGuigan are more than likely away, ditto Currie.

Depending on departures, I think we need to strengthen through the spine of the team, potentially a goalkeeper, couple of defenders, couple of midfielders and definitely a striker or two.

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Gibson to us is a rumour I've heard, would he do a job? Also wouldn't be surprised to Paul Cairney return to you. 

Pretty sure he played under McCall at QOS so could be something in it. Great player who can win you a game on his own.

Hoping we can bring better than Cairney in. Is Jamie Adams out of contract?

Gibson strangely had some doubters in the stranraer support. Yes he could be quiet and look uninterested in the odd games. However without him this season we would have been relegated in my opinion. So many assists and crucial goals. Season 15/16 he was part of the reason we almost got promotion. Quality player who created something out of nothing.

6 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Pretty sure he played under McCall at QOS so could be something in it. Great player who can win you a game on his own.

Hoping we can bring better than Cairney in. Is Jamie Adams out of contract?

Yes Adams is out of contract and I'd expect him to be moved on. Very injury prone this season. 

All speculation as far as Stranraer fc is concerned at this stage,players will meet the gaffer tomorrow night and will be told their fate,unless somebody can read Stevie Farrell's mind nobody knows.The usual suspects are being banded about and Mourena who hasn't played under Fazz looks like being released,as for the others Wednesday or Thursday we'll all know I'm sure.

Decent striker required...will Nade return ...coming weeks will be interesting
Need to be up challenging next season ...none o this relegation trapdoor pish

I'd hope not. Need to have someone who's going to give their all and hopefully be available most weeks, more importantly fit.
He took that the piss out of Stranraer. At no point did he look anywhere near fit.
New manager won't stand for that.

5 hours ago, Mattmc said:

I'd hope not. Need to have someone who's going to give their all and hopefully be available most weeks, more importantly fit.
He took that the piss out of Stranraer. At no point did he look anywhere near fit.

His record...

From ..

1 Jan 16        Dumbarton     10 League games     7 goals

1 Jul  16        Stranraer        4 League games       1 goal

1 Jan 17        Dumbarton     10 League games      4 goals

seems to imply that the problem lay elsewhere. For a start, high balls clumped upfield

to someone who needs the ball to their feet. 

Academic, though, I think. 

9 hours ago, Mattmc said:

All down to Reid and his inability to man manage. Nade needs to be loved, he needs a gaffer blowing smoke up his arse and he needs to play every week to get the best of him. He's said in past interviews that he hated the way Reid treated players. Stevie Aitken (and Faz last year) were able to do that brilliantly. That said, I think Nade will sign on with us again.

Archived