Stranraer FC 2017-18

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Only one David Marsh said:

We've signed Tom Lang any good? 

Only got a good look at him away vs Forfar, he was poor, taken off before half time. He might have been playing out of position at right back or lacking match fitness but looked out of his depth that day.

55 minutes ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Came with a good reputation but failed to break in to the team.  Defence was pretty unsettled for the first couple of months of the season, given that he hardly got a sniff I'd guess he's not too good. 

Hard to judge given the lack of games.

7 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:

I rated Tom Lang higher than most, and think with a decent number of games under his belt alongside an experienced player he could be a real star. He only started one game for us (a 4-0 victory against Raith Rovers) and absolutely cruzed it. The rest of his substitute appearances featured some brave playing out from the back, some basic mistakes, and some really classy touches for a defender. I thought he'd be excellent for Stranraer alongside a tough, old-fashioned centre-half, but alas it doesn't seem to have worked out for him. He's a good guy though, and his family were great too - always in the away end and happy to speak with fans. I hope he does well, and even if he doesn't he'll still be the best looking player in the league. So that's something.

Not unhappy to see Stoney go. Could never understand why we signed him, particularly since the manager knew him from his previous stints at the club. Have a feeling that Lang will eventually make it at a much higher level, and we'll curse ourselves for not having given him a chance. As for Wallace, I look forward to us emulating Craig Levein's 4-6-0, albeit for half a season rather than a single game.

From that Q&A:

1. How serious is the club's financial position? In terms of how serious the position is, we are losing money from the football side of things. As a committee, we are charged with the wellbeing of the club and we are being proactive rather than reactive. With being a committee, we are a different business model than many other clubs within the leagues. Other clubs have directors who can give soft loans to bide them over during hard times. At Stranraer, we do not have that revenue stream and have to cut our cloth accordingly.

The decision was taken at the beginning of the season that we would look at all aspects of the business to cut back and get back onto an even keel. As the season has gone on - due to dwindling crowd numbers - this target has not been achieved. Hence that we have to look at all aspects of the club and the cost involved in all parts of it. This will impact on the first team squad and with, as has been documented, players being asked to take a pay cut. The PFA were not keen on this route and they are there for the benefit of the players and the club has no issue with it. It was just one idea put forward.

Before the recent 2 games, had crowds been noticeably "dwindling"?

Maybe another 3/4

Quite liked the wee guy Turner you’ve got.
Although he should’ve been sent off in the last game we played each other in I thought he looked tidy on the ball and we could do with a central midfielder.

Who are the likely candidates to be leaving? Hope Scott Robertson stays. He’s great fun in the Ayr games.

13 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Quite liked the wee guy Turner you’ve got.
Although he should’ve been sent off in the last game we played each other in I thought he looked tidy on the ball and we could do with a central midfielder.

Who are the likely candidates to be leaving? Hope Scott Robertson stays. He’s great fun in the Ayr games.

Cammy Belford to come in and be back up to Jordan Hart IMO. 

Archived