Stranraer FC 2017-18

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful result and probably a big dent financially.

Priority now has to be trying to stay in this league. Achieve that and the majority of the team on.

Not the kind of thing that’s going to have the locals parting with £15 to watch.

January transfer window is no use to clubs if they don’t have money to spend so we can write that one off.

Think there’s worse than us in the league so staying up shouldn’t be a problem.

What’s the story with our manager continually refusing to start Kyle Turner ? Possibly our most creative and consistent player , so think we deserve an explanation. Our performances are getting poorer by the week yet the players that are failing to put in an acceptable performance are kept in the team . I know our bench is light but surely these guys deserve a chance .

Awful performance got what we deserved,manager has to take responsibility for this result  team selection all wrong ,Robertson our best right back playing centre midfield ?thomson playing as a striker while 2strikers  sit on bench ?.play,s bell in midfield when he is better at centre half, persists in playing hamill, thomson, Neil and Barron every week when they have been very poor. Why is Turner not playing every week?it,s time to give Lang ,McGowan and Elliott a chance

Problem with turner playing is he likes to actually play football, pass a ball, create moves, judging by what we r seeing week in week out it doesn't suit the managers tactics of a long ball up the park An hope for the best! Shocking!

Where to start with that one?

Well done to Brora first of all. Suspect they would have been happy with a draw and a bit ironic that they scored in time that was added on due to their keeper’s time-wasting.

However, they were clearly the better side first half and there was nothing between the teams after the break.

I think Faz was convinced in the summer that Okoh and Stoney are good enough for this level. On the basis of what we have seen, they aren’t, and this leaves us with Wallace as our only recognised striker option.

I reckon Anderson was the best of our signings, but there is no point in playing him when Belford persists with his long and pointless punts up the park, long after it has become evident that they produce nothing other than gifting possession to our opponents. Surely anybody watching can see this - so why doesn’t somebody tell him to cut it out?

At the back I’m sorry but Div no longer cuts it at this level. He cost us the goal yesterday, although blame for the result is team-wide. For me, the jury is still out on Hamill. And if Lang can’t get a gig in that defence I have doubts there too!

I’m not sure we have the squad to do much more than mid-table and yesterday’s defeat has hit us really hard in the pocket - so probably no money to do much in the January sales.

14 hours ago, kvz2000 said:

What’s the story with our manager continually refusing to start Kyle Turner ? Possibly our most creative and consistent player , so think we deserve an explanation. Our performances are getting poorer by the week yet the players that are failing to put in an acceptable performance are kept in the team . I know our bench is light but surely these guys deserve a chance .

Purely as an outsider here, that seems like a really weird one. He was probably the best player on the park in the Betfred Cup tie between our sides a month or so back, and looked like the sort of player we could with - never mind a struggling League 1 side!

Not to jump on the 'lets slag Faz' bandwagon or anything, but I'd say we've been considerably better since he left and Durrant came in. 

Ridiculous suggestion maybe but, is Kyle Turner out the team because he’s better than anyone in it?
We seem to play a long ball game Whereas Turner like to get the ball on the deck and cut defences open with passes.
He is liable to the odd daft tackle but that isn’t enough to warrant a place on the bench when you’ve got Hamill and Thomson playing. Both players good for three or four fouls a game.

Turner seems to be the only player there that want to spur players on and make things happen. Rest of the teams seems to be hiding away when things aren’t working out. For me this should make him captain.
Maybe harsh on Bell who’s been a good servant but if you aren’t cutting it something needs done. Vice captain Robertson should be nowhere near it after his sendings off this season.

Ridiculous suggestion maybe but, is Kyle Turner out the team because he’s better than anyone in it?
We seem to play a long ball game Whereas Turner like to get the ball on the deck and cut defences open with passes.
He is liable to the odd daft tackle but that isn’t enough to warrant a place on the bench when you’ve got Hamill and Thomson playing. Both players good for three or four fouls a game.

Turner seems to be the only player there that want to spur players on and make things happen. Rest of the teams seems to be hiding away when things aren’t working out. For me this should make him captain.
Maybe harsh on Bell who’s been a good servant but if you aren’t cutting it something needs done. Vice captain Robertson should be nowhere near it after his sendings off this season.

Absolutley agree he wants the ball at his feet to play and no one else here seems to want to play the bloody game, it's a long ball An hope for a lucky break...I personally think his young age is used against him when things go wrong on the park and he's the first to lose his place because of it where as the criticism from the sideline should be directed at the so called experienced players on the field who make far more mistakes than the youngsters..setting up in midfield the way they did yesterday was an insult to turner IMO

On 11/19/2017 at 07:54, Clayhole Blue said:

Where to start with that one?

Well done to Brora first of all. Suspect they would have been happy with a draw and a bit ironic that they scored in time that was added on due to their keeper’s time-wasting.

However, they were clearly the better side first half and there was nothing between the teams after the break.

I think Faz was convinced in the summer that Okoh and Stoney are good enough for this level. On the basis of what we have seen, they aren’t, and this leaves us with Wallace as our only recognised striker option.

I reckon Anderson was the best of our signings, but there is no point in playing him when Belford persists with his long and pointless punts up the park, long after it has become evident that they produce nothing other than gifting possession to our opponents. Surely anybody watching can see this - so why doesn’t somebody tell him to cut it out?

At the back I’m sorry but Div no longer cuts it at this level. He cost us the goal yesterday, although blame for the result is team-wide. For me, the jury is still out on Hamill. And if Lang can’t get a gig in that defence I have doubts there too!

I’m not sure we have the squad to do much more than mid-table and yesterday’s defeat has hit us really hard in the pocket - so probably no money to do much in the January sales.

When Stoney was with us a couple of seasons back, his runs never seemed to end up anywhere. 

Never really understood why he was re-signed.

And not sure that this manager is good enough.

Win rate at Stranraer....

Stevie Aitken         45%

Brian Reid               38%

Stephen Farrell   35% 

On 7/23/2017 at 20:07, Clayhole Blue said:

Not on the basis of anything I saw from him. Think he scored in his first two games for us. I missed these and was looking forward to seeing him, but his form nosedived at that point. To make matters worse, our manager at that point - Brian Reid - persevered with him week in, week out, and he was just dismal.

On 7/24/2017 at 09:02, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I wrote this about him at the end of the season:

I'd be very surprised if he was anything other than a development squad player for you guys. A sort of target man version of Jordan Preston if you will.

Thought I would bump this. 

Nuttall has been nothing short of superb so far. Very prolific for u23s and after netting on his senior debut from the bench he's netted in 3 out of 4 games since. Started the last 2 games too. 

Rovers have plenty of creativity in the side though so looks like he's thriving on that but overall very impressed with him.

That would suggest we didn’t use him properly which I can understand , we don’t give any of our strikers a chance , to do that you need to play the ball on the deck and try and get in behind defenders so that the strikers can attack the ball rather than have it thumped up from deep. 

Thought I would bump this. 
Nuttall has been nothing short of superb so far. Very prolific for u23s and after netting on his senior debut from the bench he's netted in 3 out of 4 games since. Started the last 2 games too. 
Rovers have plenty of creativity in the side though so looks like he's thriving on that but overall very impressed with him.

Glad he’s working out for you, and good luck to Joe himself. Over the years I’ve seen a number of young players joining clubs at our level on being moved on by full time clubs who’ve decided they’re not going to make it. Some then forge a decent semiprofessional career. Others rapidly fall further to Junior/amateur level, or out of the game completely. Thought that Nuttall was heading in that direction. He just didn’t look interested, which I found surprising since it seemed obvious that he wasn’t going to get an extended contract at Aberdeen.

2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Glad he’s working out for you, and good luck to Joe himself. Over the years I’ve seen a number of young players joining clubs at our level on being moved on by full time clubs who’ve decided they’re not going to make it. Some then forge a decent semiprofessional career. Others rapidly fall further to Junior/amateur level, or out of the game completely. Thought that Nuttall was heading in that direction. He just didn’t look interested, which I found surprising since it seemed obvious that he wasn’t going to get an extended contract at Aberdeen.

He was playing for Stranraer. I think at this point he had probably accepted that his career was over.

• 4 weeks later...

According to today's BBC Gossip Column, taken from the print edition of The Scottish Sun, Stranraer have asked their first-team players to take a pay-cut as the club are under pressure from the bank to cut expenditure. 

It obviously doesn't sound very good: I hope that everything will balance itself out in the end. 

1 minute ago, dafcburty said:

According to today's BBC Gossip Column, taken from the print edition of The Scottish Sun, Stranraer have asked their first-team players to take a pay-cut as the club are under pressure from the bank to cut expenditure. 

It obviously doesn't sound very good: I hope that everything will balance itself out in the end. 

Interesting. I did wonder how Stranraer could afford that squad. Probably bought yourselves another year in League 1 with good early season form though.

Archived