Brechin City v Raith Rovers - There And Back Again

from a neutral point of view it was a shit game,

- Underdog opens scoring.
- Raith draw level.
- Underdog get late goal for what should be huge shock.
- Raith have one one minute to score to save themselves from relegation... and score to wild celebrations.
- Raith go ahead for first time in the entire tie, they've saved themselves!
- Brechin pull a fantastic free kick out the top drawer with a dramatic late equaliser to force pens.
- Brechin go ahead in pens, Raith then go ahead in pens...
- Underdog wins .

I can see how that might be shit.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, coming from a Brechin point of view, take it from a total neutral it was not a good game, the ball spent most of its time in the air, I will say that Brechin were the better side and deserved their win. I would probably have had the same opinion as you if I had some emotional attachment to the game but I did not. I said to my daughter that I would have had palpations if Dunfermline were involved but did not care one way or the other.

2 hours ago, parsboi said:

Well done Brechin. Cracking club with good supporters, always had good banter up there with their fans.  Rather have them than Alloa.

Commiserations to Rovers, unlike some of your bitter fans that were lording it when we had our problems, I hope you don't have the same fate with relegation and finances.  However maybe now is the time to get together and sort a fans buyout stop absolute roasters like your board from the bungling mess that was this season?

Can't buyout the directors, due to the constitution, which doesn't allow for one individual or group to hold a controlling interest IIRC

Raith player on the far right falls to his knees before the ball is kicked. That's what you call confidence in your team mate.

Again, coming from a Brechin point of view, take it from a total neutral it was not a good game, the ball spent most of its time in the air, I will say that Brechin were the better side and deserved their win. I would probably have had the same opinion as you if I had some emotional attachment to the game but I did not. I said to my daughter that I would have had palpations if Dunfermline were involved but did not care one way or the other.

I was a neutral at a Hawick Royal Albert v Cumbernauld Colts game earlier this season where the standard of LL football was absolutely dire, and that's being kind. However, the similar yo-yo nature of a similar 4-3 game with the underdog coming out on top made it a great match. I get the feeling you'd also be walking away from that saying it was 'shit' whilst I was saying "great match that!". Absolutely nothing to do with rose tinted specs where almost anyone can look at the Sunday papers today and think "that would have have been a good one to be at". Maybe we just look for different things in a football game and some of us are tougher customers than others.

So which players would you take from the teams that may well go down this season? Even from teams that are safe, or going up (teams going up may off load some players for what they consider better quality) 

I'd have M'Voto from raith in a heartbeat, he is about the best player they have imo

Also, on a tangent, I feel a moral obligation to quote this OP from the Cherry Picking thread. Says quite a lot.

John Sim is trying hard to buy out Mario, so I've heard.

Is he going to ship the pies over from Asia !!!! This would be the time for any shares to be bought and sold. We are at a low we have not seen for years. I'm still curious as to Penman's stand on our future. Something has to change.

What are Sim's connections to the Rovers, despite the obvious stadium mortgage? 

Much as I'd like to see changes, I'd quite like the current separation between paying the stadium mortgage and the board itself. Not sure I'd want someone with substantial interests in both on the board. We have been there before, after all...

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

What are Sim's connections to the Rovers, despite the obvious stadium mortgage? 

Much as I'd like to see changes, I'd quite like the current separation between paying the stadium mortgage and the board itself. Not sure I'd want someone with substantial interests in both on the board. We have been there before, after all...

John Sim is a director of the club and sole director of Starks Park Properties.

http://www.raithtrust.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/170421.ar_.Ownership-Infographic-Apr17.pdf

58 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I don't think I've ever heard so much cliché-ridden crap in my life.

I thought Hughes looked affy nervous, the host mentioned that the fans were blaming the pitch conditions at the Glebe, so by those statements the RR fans should count themselves lucky that our pitch has a few problems as we would have beaten them on Wednesday too if the Glebe was perfect, but tbh I didn't hear any RR fans moaning about the playing surface on Wednesday and think that the host was maybe saying his thoughts. All credit goes to Hughes for dismissing that idea, I've always had a soft spot for RR and have enjoyed going there in the past.

Anyway, our groundsman "woody" does the job part time and in my opinion he does a fantastic job and is totally committed to maintaining it, 

Well I think I've just about recovered from that. What a rollercoaster of emotions. That was definitely up there with the St Johnstone quarter final. What made it even better is that I thought it wasn't going to happen at 3 separate stages of the game...McManus' leveller in stoppage time, Hardie's goal in extra time and when Pabs put his penalty wide. At these points I thought our chance had gone so to fight back each time was magnificent.

Every single player was an absolute credit to the shirt. After Wednesday I don't know where the energy came from but you certainly couldn't tell who the part time side was. Defended like lions and took our chances when they came. Watt's free kick may well be the best I've seen for Brechin, what an absolute pearler that was. At times we had no option but to clear our lines and play long but was played some excellent passing football at times as well.

Was a pleasant surprise to see Trouten coming off the bench as I thought his season was finished. He was terrific and very much like his old self. He and Love gave us a huge boost going forward, hopefully they are both available to start in the final matches.

You could see what it meant to the players at the end. There's a lot of guys out there playing with their heart on their sleeve and hopefully we're in a position to award them with contracts regardless of what division we're playing in next season. There are not many I wouldn't like to keep, a few of the "squad" players, particularly Lynas have come on so far in the past few months and deserve a new deal.

On to the final now, hopefully third time lucky against Alloa. It's going to be tough and in my opinion they are a better side than Raith who looked bereft of confidence. As I said on Wednesday the big guy M'voto is colossal in the air but an absolute bombscare with the ball at feet.

Hard lines to Raith - the fans I spoke to after the game heading back to the bus were very gracious and magnanimous in defeat.

Archived