Brechin City v Raith Rovers - There And Back Again

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take that tonight. Not a great game at all and I don't think the pitch helped. Hopefully on Saturday we can keep our decent home form going. Plus Hughes might finally realise that Skacel is done. Once again we looked far better with him off the pitch.

Have to comment on the crowd tonight. For a Wednesday night match away at Brechin in a relegation playoff we brought a great support. Driving home down the A92 it was just cars for as far as you could see. If the club ever questioned if fans cared there was your answer tonight. Great atmosphere with fans talking amongst each other and light hearted chat. Best bits was the boy shouting utter abuse at McManus before he pings the free kick in and I think the same guy having a go at Davo with Davo calling him a "f*ucking tadger" then minutes later booting the ball in his direction. It's moments like that when you miss the terracing!

Shite game. 

Some unbelievable stuff going on in the ashvale chippy before the game, thought I was in serious danger of missing the second leg for waiting on my white pudding supper before tonight's game. 

Shite game. 

Some unbelievable stuff going on in the ashvale chippy before the game, thought I was in serious danger of missing the second leg for waiting on my white pudding supper before tonight's game. 

Serves you right for ordering a white pudding supper tbh. Despicable behaviour.

6 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Definitely a great away support tonight, but there were a couple of absolute wallopers. Special shout outs to the guy who went barrelling into a bunch of Brechinite teenagers at Skacel's disallowed goal, and the aforementioned boy telling McManus not to shoot because he's 'fucking shite'.

Reaction on fantalk isn't as extreme, but some people seem to think we only had to show up tonight which is hugely ridiculous considering Brechin are in the playoffs on merit, we've not been great against teams who are difficult to break down and our away form. I know it's hardly like we're asking Rovers to go to Celtic Park and win, but some of the posts are ridiculous.

McManus has actually been one of our better performers in recent weeks. He's been in the right areas, and is starting to see some goals creep into his game. Hopefully he can continue by getting us a winner on Saturday, and if we manage that, then into the finals. All to play for.  

Based on tonight we should have enough about us to make it through. Brechin weren't very good, I am aware they are down to their bare bones and like ourselves missing several players, obviously tougher on a smaller part time squad though.

Still miffed at the teams Hughes has sent out pretty much since he arrived. Now isn't the time for personal grudges, Bobby Barr hasn't been great since turn of year but he would cause no end of trouble for League one defences. On the other hand, Skacel is exactly the player they would want to face, almost a man advantage in the middle right away tonight. I would hope that was Rudi's swan song, he actually makes me miss Jordan Thompson in there :/ 

Never got a good look at Pen, Dec's goal was class and I thought that handball was very lucky to get away without a pen given, not giving a toss if it bounces funny or hits your chest first, you really shouldn't be standing with both arms above your head in your own penalty area!

Can't complain too much about that, really - finally ended a long streak of defeats on the road. Perhaps we were unlucky in some respects last night, but it's important that we aren't going into the second leg behind. 

I think I'm right in saying that's the first away game in 2017 we haven't lost, and it's bloody May!

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Can't complain too much about that, really - finally ended a long streak of defeats on the road. Perhaps we were unlucky in some respects last night, but it's important that we aren't going into the second leg behind. 

I think I'm right in saying that's the first away game in 2017 we haven't lost, and it's bloody May!

Technically you drew with Hearts over 90 minutes but I guess that doesn't count.

Luckily, you have won four out of the last five at home and haven't lost at Starks in 3 months. I'd say Rovers are heavy favourites now.

9 hours ago, CALDERON said:

We dominated possession and were the better side but didn't create much, largely due to a very hardworking Brechin side. Quietly confident we can get the job done as we probably could have won that tonight but I think Saturday will be close.

Good support through, must have been 700 odd??

Having watched the second half next to the dugout it's clear to see where our problems. Couple of players doing the complete opposite of what was being asked.

Not sure if the crowd I read was official but at 1022 are Brechin only getting 300 odd fans for their biggest home game of the season ? 

If so that is very very frightening. 

Not sure if the crowd I read was official but at 1022 are Brechin only getting 300 odd fans for their biggest home game of the season ? 

If so that is very very frightening. 

It really didn't look like a big Brechin crowd at all. We had the stand behind he goals with a few Brechin fans dotted about.. standing alongside the Hedge looked to be mainly Rovers fans the whole way along as well. Brechin fans were standing behind the opposite goals( pretty empty at this side though) with a few Rovers fans( like myself in the first half as we were shooting that way.) they had the tiny stand along the side of the pitch though.

I'd probably say 300/700 sounds about right tbf

Thought we were very poor last night, especially in the first half. Brechin were a very poor outfit yet we only came away with the draw. People were going nuts at the penalty award but it was a clear penalty so they should have been going nuts at our static defending. 

On paper we should have enough to get through at home on Saturday but I'm afraid I have little confidence in this team and their character. Who knows what will happen when the real pressure is on orbof Brechin take the lead again. 

We could have easily won last night although we hardly peppered Brechin goal with shots.

All comes down to attitude and mentality for me. Brechin worked far far harder than us. Davidson in particular was second to every ball in the middle of the park. Again though, there were 2 or 3 players completely ignoring what Hughes and Easton were asking them to do.

The contrast in how we play away from at home is just ridiculous.

Having said all of that whilst we were poor at the back I can only remember the Brechin pen as a real chance for them. A draw away to anyone is a decent result in these playoffs and to grab it whilst going behind shows slight signs of improvement.

I didn't think we were great but should've won the game with a bit to spare. We definitely didn't get any luck with decisions, I'm not sure if any were incorrect but having two goals chalked off, a penalty appeal turned down and conceding a penalty at the other end in 45 minutes is pretty unfortunate. Definite penalty for Brechin though, too far away to tell about anything else.

Not convinced Brechin had a shot on target aside from the penalty, certainly no real chances. On the other hand we could've scored a few on another night, the biggest one being the Hardie/McManus chance at the back post late on. Hope we don't live to regret it.

A tough 90 minutes on a poor pitch. We were the better team and didn't get beat, with our away record that has to be a positive. If we do end up going out to Brechin it won't be as a result of last night, they have to come and win at Stark's which nobody has done since Locke left in early February.

Cautiously optimistic. Saturday will be about Brechin sitting in and trying to frustrate the crowd, based on comments by Dods after the match. Might be worth considering bringing Barr or Johnston back into the starting line-up for Skacel, who yet again was dreadful.

Archived