Brechin City v Raith Rovers - There And Back Again

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M'Voto must've won, without exaggeration, seven or eight headers inside Brechin's box. Kept getting trapped under the ball, but on another day (a Saturday, for instance...) he could really make them pay.

Much like Hank, I'm quietly confident that we'll get the job done. I don't think there's any doubt, based on tonight's game, that we're the better football team. If we avoid doing anything daft, which is admittedly a big ask, we should get the job done.

Great battling performance from Brechin who were without 3 key players through injury and effectively playing with 10 men. Good penalty from Caldwell but that's as far as the praise goes, he's absolute garbage and we'd have been better with Dods upfront.

Raith applied a lot of pressure but lacked a cutting edge. M'voto at the back won everything in the air but is chronic with the ball at his feet.

Glad to go into the second leg with all to play for. It'll be tough but at least we've given ourselves a chance.

Excellent Raith support btw, probably about double what I was expecting on a Wednesday night.

Got to the ground late but from what I saw, that was a classic battling away performance; unfortunately we were the home team. Some decent individual performances - Jacko ran himself into the ground as usual and Finn Graham and Liam Watt put themselves about - but as a team we looked some way short of Rovers quality-wise. In City's defence as the poster above has said, we were missing three if not four central defenders, plus two first picks on the attacking side. Have to hope we get s couple of them back to give us a sniff at the weekend. Good atmosphere tonight and had to laugh at the very concept of MVoto being shoved off the ball by Finn Graham

If Ross Caldwell is reading this - I actually thought he was a bit better  tonight and at least looked interested - but when you've had your one good touch, it's not enough to stand back and watch the game unfold for the next half a minute. You need to be looking for your next move to stay involved - immediately

It was a stonewall penalty .. And a great battling performance but thats the way we are now .. Why o why the long punts up to jacko against 4 six footers defenders ... Well done Caldwell who could ve easily told Dods to ram it but went about his business well ... Good on him ... 

We defo rode our luck but it was nt like a premier league team we were playing had Raith not had the fantastic support tonight it d been like playing livvy or someone ... 

I guess they ll be too strong for us at home but at least we re still in it ... A lot of friendly folk amongst a great support ... 

1 hour ago, Munter said:

An agricultural first half. Gave up counting disallowed goals and pointless free kicks. Pies 6/10. Hedge 8/10. Pitch 3/10.

Only a 6 for the pie's .....fecks sake min 

Great battle , really enjoyed it . Well done everyone. Cracking strike at free kick to bring tie level. We are still in it you cant ask for much more . Very enjoyable. Hope Ally Love is fit for Saturdays game.

Brechin looked very tired towards the end of the second half, with balls flying into the area. 

Going to Starks on Saturday, where we're actually still unbeaten under Hughes, will make it interesting. 

Good to see McManus getting another goal. He's hitting a bit of form at the right time now. I know he's been slated a lot but he's been let down by some of the service during games throughout the season. Looked like a peach of a free kick, which totally caught the keeper off guard. Can't remember the last time we scored a free kick, rather than conceding one! 

Saturday is simply about making sure we keep our heads, and doing the business. I'd hope with the prices, we can get another 3000+ crowd with it being such an important game. Both teams will be up for it, and Brechin won't fear anything based on tonight. We need to make sure that our defenders aren't rushing into things. From the periscope, it did look a very soft penalty. 

8 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

It was a stonewall penalty .. And a great battling performance but thats the way we are now .. Why o why the long punts up to jacko against 4 six footers defenders ... Well done Caldwell who could ve easily told Dods to ram it but went about his business well ... Good on him ... 

We defo rode our luck but it was nt like a premier league team we were playing had Raith not had the fantastic support tonight it d been like playing livvy or someone ... 

I guess they ll be too strong for us at home but at least we re still in it ... A lot of friendly folk amongst a great support ... 

Echo your thoughts on the Raith support. The ones around me were up for some good natured banter even at the pen award . They were the same when we played them pre season , i had my two year old grandson with me that day and they were very friendly . TBH probs my favourite away support.

We dominated possession and were the better side but didn't create much, largely due to a very hardworking Brechin side. Quietly confident we can get the job done as we probably could have won that tonight but I think Saturday will be close.

Good support through, must have been 700 odd??

Having watched the second half next to the dugout it's clear to see where our problems. Couple of players doing the complete opposite of what was being asked.

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We dominated possession and were the better side but didn't create much, largely due to a very hardworking Brechin side. Quietly confident we can get the job done as we probably could have won that tonight but I think Saturday will be close.

Good support through, must have been 700 odd??

Having watched the second half next to the dugout it's clear to see where our people's lie. Couple of players doing the complete opposite of what was being asked.

That's cos Yogi is a c**t.

I thoroughly enjoyed that tonight.Thought we were excellent considering 3 of our best players were out.Our makeshift centre halves of Fusco and McLean were superb.Fin Graham was his usual brilliance.Jackson put another good shift up front and Smith had 3 excellent saves,although he was flat footed for the goal.Just hope we have another battling performance on the bigger/wider park down at Raith.

We weren't very good.

Brechin were slightly worse. I don't recall Brennan actually having a save to make the whole game? 

Another penalty conceded. Still yet to get one. Unreal.

We actually scored a free kick. Jesus Christ. Great hit by Dec though. 

Thought that we were really poor in the midfield and were pretty much second to every ball. 

That pitch though? Christ. Nae watering cans in Brechin? My front grass is shorter than that tonight. 

Cant use that as an excuse though..haha. 

1 minute ago, Wardy said:

We weren't very good.

Brechin were slightly worse. I don't recall Brennan actually having a save to make the whole game? 

Another penalty conceded. Still yet to get one. Unreal.

We actually scored a free kick. Jesus Christ. Great hit by Dec though. 

Thought that we were really poor in the midfield and were pretty much second to every ball. 

That pitch though? Christ. Nae watering cans in Brechin? My front grass is shorter than that tonight. 

Cant use that as an excuse though..haha. 

Hopefully your decent pitch will allow our ball players to turn it on  on Saturday. Fin Graham managed to meg Benedictus tonight though, so not all was bad !  :lol:.

Craig Barr is brutal though.  

Archived