Brechin City v Raith Rovers - There And Back Again

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the same time, I wouldn't be happy with a draw against the team sitting 4th in League 1 who have only won 1 of their last 6 matches when we are meant to be fighting for our lives here.

Ordinarily no, but we're good at home and it's all about getting through at this stage. Simply avoiding a capitulation ala Dumbarton/St Mirren away gives us the best opportunity to do that, even if it is a draw.

We've been horrendous all season and have no reason to expect the team to 'show up' for four consecutive matches. It'll get sticky. Hopefully the players aren't falling into a similar trap to some fans, probably myself included, and just assuming we'll get through this one. It can all change very quickly, and sometimes on a bit of luck or a poor refereeing call. I wouldn't necessarily 'take' a draw right now but with our home and away records it would be a pretty decent outcome.

That's right. Was it 3-0 at HT? 

We we really don't have a good record in the playoffs so far. Just hope it's different this time round with us looking to avoid relegation rather get promoted. 

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, because his ability should be judged on an end of season kick about against Falkirk.

Indeed. With you guys already safe it would also only be human to let his mind wander occasionally to what was going on with Rovers.

Unless Rovers are really low in confidence then you should take care of Brechin. My only concern would be trying to avoid the odd broken leg as they are a team full of dirty fucking hatchet men.

Mon the Brechin! (looking forward to the derbies):thumsup2

I appreciate that Raith have been dire this season and there's all sorts of accusations being levelled at their players, some of which may very well be true, but surely they can take care of a Brechin side over two legs who haven't exactly been setting fires on their way to the play-offs?

Raith Rovers are 13/8 to win the play-offs outright which is more generous than I'd anticipated to be honest.

1 minute ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I appreciate that Raith have been dire this season and there's all sorts of accusations being levelled at their players, some of which may very well be true, but surely they can take care of a Brechin side over two legs who haven't exactly been setting fires on their way to the play-offs?

Raith Rovers are 13/8 to win the play-offs outright which is more generous than I'd anticipated to be honest.

Brechin's focus will be on the wrong type of legs.

56 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

Unless Rovers are really low in confidence then you should take care of Brechin. My only concern would be trying to avoid the odd broken leg as they are a team full of dirty fucking hatchet men.

Just the sort of game that Davo is waiting on I imagine, Skacel might even prove useful in these situations :) 

The confidence thing worries me though, we've been up n down more than the big dipper this season. All depends which Rovers show up on the day.

1 minute ago, mr mince said:

Just the sort of game that Davo is waiting on I imagine, Skacel might even prove useful in these situations :) 

The confidence thing worries me though, we've been up n down more than the big dipper this season. All depends which Rovers show up on the day.

I'd rather we had Bene, Barr and M'Voto handle that sort of stuff. Even Matthews loves a game where he can get stuck in (even one his first starts where he flattened Scott Brown in the first two minutes of the game). Davo is similar, but it's a miracle he doesn't get sent off at times where he's protesting refereeing decisions. Even on Saturday, he put in a good shift but went mental at the referee. 

Just now, rw89 said:

I'd rather we had Bene, Barr and M'Voto handle that sort of stuff. Even Matthews loves a game where he can get stuck in (even one his first starts where he flattened Scott Brown in the first two minutes of the game). Davo is similar, but it's a miracle he doesn't get sent off at times where he's protesting refereeing decisions. Even on Saturday, he put in a good shift but went mental at the referee. 

True although I would hope those 4 would be in the squad regardless. Then again this is Hughes stranger things have happened
Utterly amazed Davo managed to avoid red, especially once he'd finished with the ref he carried on with the assistant before giving up and getting on with it.

5 minutes ago, rw89 said:

After getting Telt by Broony Ross did it again to him a wee while later.

Obviously we're going to be the underdogs in this one but hoping that City can take something from the Glebe and have a fighting chance at the away match.

On another note, I don't think City are any more aggressive than other teams in league 1, they're more aggressive than last season, as in they don't back down in challenges and in general I'd say that they just give as good as they get, 

7 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Hopefully Brennan doesn't turn into Chris Fahey 

I remember that, 2- 0 down at half time to Airdrie

A whole seasons hard work ruined within about 2 minutes by the same crappy mistake.

It's a shame this isn't on TV. I love the play offs (as long we aren't in the relegation one of course).

I think Raith will win over the two legs but Brechin have everything to play for. Ultimately and from a selfish point of view, I would prefer another part-time team in the division next year.

Archived