Greenock Morton v Dundee United, The Shanfest Part VI

Of course their bothered. But people on here saying best Ton team have seen in a century are kidding themselves. It's a shit end to the season agreed but the team are makeshift bunch pulled together - not a lot of quality there or strength of squad.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never claimed their wages would be close to what Dundee Utd players are on so I don't see how that's relevant. I'm just taking issue with this idea that a) it's the board's fault we lacked cover up front and b) we had no hope of signing a competent centre forward on the wages we're paying, when we could surely have used the wages Duffy chose to spend on Oyenuga, Scullion, Shankland and Donnelly to sign one centre forward who was decent rather than four who weren't good enough. No one's saying we could or should compete with Dundee Utd on wages, I'm saying we could and should have built a squad with more than two competent centre forwards, and had we done so we may have finished second or at least been less shambolic for the last 11 games.
I think people responding to our worst run of results in 17 years and getting pumped in a playoff with 'we'd have taken it at the start of the season' so they're not bothered we lost absolutely reeks of a diddy mentality, yes.

We need reserves though. What happens when that one striker gets injured? The fact that we've relied on all of those players at certain times in the season shows how important it is to at least have something to fall back on. You can't play a full season with 12 or a 13 senior players

Surprised nobody has mentioned that the United supporters clapped off the Morton players at full time. We rarely clap off our own players let alone the opposition [emoji38]

We're good c***s really

58 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

We need reserves though. What happens when that one striker gets injured? The fact that we've relied on all of those players at certain times in the season shows how important it is to at least have something to fall back on. You can't play a full season with 12 or a 13 senior players

When have we relied on Jon Scullion and Luke Donnelly? 

Edge was utter pish. As was Robson. Andreu was anonymous. We were pretty poor 1st half too. 

2nd half we were much better and had Kuate on the ball more. 

If we set up to attack and play like the 2nd half we should win on Tuesday. Anything other than that and I reckon we will be lucky to draw.

12 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Edge was utter pish. As was Robson. Andreu was anonymous. We were pretty poor 1st half too. 

If we set up to attack and play like the 2nd half we should win on Tuesday. Anything other than that and I reckon we will be lucky to draw.

I think Edjenguele is a very average defender at best. Given the shambles of our back four in recent seasons we have been so desperate for something that resembles a defender that it has allowed him to come in and play reasonably well and take more credit than he is due. I also think McKinnon is hanging Robson out to dry. He isn't ready for first team football and although Dixon isn't particularly great (and is leaving soon) he would provide at least more of a physical presence at a time we really need it. Robson was utterly dominated last night and it didn't help that 'Edge' was alongside him.

If Andreu wasn't capable of a wonder goal every few weeks then I'd be up for dropping him. His performance level in the last si weeks of the season has been really poor (I suppose the system might not always help his cause).

13 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Edge has been pretty pish since he signed his contract extension IMO. I think most Arabs were happy enough when he signed it but he's had the cigars out since then.

Guest Back Post Misses

Nathan is after you

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I think Edjenguele is a very average defender at best. Given the shambles of our back four in recent seasons we have been so desperate for something that resembles a defender that it has allowed him to come in and play reasonably well and take more credit than he is due. I also think McKinnon is hanging Robson out to dry. He isn't ready for first team football and although Dixon isn't particularly great (and is leaving soon) he would provide at least more of a physical presence at a time we really need it. Robson was utterly dominated last night and it didn't help that 'Edge' was alongside him.

If Andreu wasn't capable of a wonder goal every few weeks then I'd be up for dropping him. His performance level in the last si weeks of the season has been really poor (I suppose the system might not always help his cause).

I agree with you 100%.

I'm a Dixon fan and I would have been playing him more. He has also been hung out to dry since he came back due to awfult management and tactics. 

Also, has anyone actually seen 'Edge' time a jump yet? I was watching him attempt to jump up at the ball from underneath it. Was hilarious. 

What an awful player he is.

There are grandfathers amongst the Morton support who have never seen their team play in the top flight of Scottish football.
After all, it;s been 30 years.

I gave my Dad my pocket money in 1988 to stick a bet on Morton not returning to the premier league for 30 years. I'll be a rich man next May [emoji12]

31 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I agree with you 100%.

I'm a Dixon fan and I would have been playing him more. He has also been hung out to dry since he came back due to awfult management and tactics. 

Also, has anyone actually seen 'Edge' time a jump yet? I was watching him attempt to jump up at the ball from underneath it. Was hilarious. 

What an awful player he is.

Dixon is fucking terrible. 

Unlucky Morton. Truly is a shame for your season to finish with such an absolute whimper.

Eat shit. I look forward to pointing and laughing when Utd deal with you. [emoji3]

I'm sure Morton will be delighted with 4th, even though they got pumped silly by a bang average United team.
Back to normality and mid table/relegation battle next season though. Everyone that thought Jim Duffy was shite and then thought he was great will go back to thinking he was shite again.

He's a crap August and September away from reverting back to Thumbhead tbh.

The board backed Duffy to the extent that he could sign seven forwards. The board didn't make Duffy sign Shankland, Donnelly, Oyenuga, Scullion and McDonagh, none of whom are good enough. You say they didn't invest in January, when Duffy gave new contracts to Oyenuga and Scullion and signed Shankland and Donnelly. Could Duffy not have spent that budget more wisely and signed two, or even one competent player instead of four who weren't good enough? That's not the board's fault, and your insistence that we have to look at the squad we have and appreciate the importance of strength in depth only makes my point all the more pertinent - we could and should have built a better squad, that we didn't is a reason to be critical and think about how we improve this in the future.

I agree with just about all of this but it was well documented Duffy tried to bring in Loy in January.

10 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I agree with just about all of this but it was well documented Duffy tried to bring in Loy in January.

Is it true that loy chose the skunks over us because he was offered 10k if they avoided relegation? 

Archived