CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

What is the need for such an increase?
Have we over spent on the players signed in January and looking to recoup or do they think the circa £3k collected early will enhance next season's squad?

Maybe contact your local MSP ask him or her to raise it at the Scottish parliament it's an utter outrage imagine putting £1.26 on to each game. It's quite clear the club are trying to attract the prawn sandwich brigade and are pricing out normal fans

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In August 1990, Clyde played  St Johnstone away at McDiarmid Park in the League Cup.  St Johnstone had just been promoted to the Premier and we were in the 1st Division, now the Championship.  The price for entry was £5.00  Increased by RPI (inflation measurement), the equivalent figure is £10.80

Supporters throughout Scotland have been absolutely shafted for years, it's massively overpriced.  Not just based on RPI, but also given the standard we're being asked to accept.  Other than the evidence of your own eyes, the national team have failed to qualify for a tournament in 20 years, and then the failures of our "top" teams in Europe year on year

There's then 10 years of a  financial crash.  Just about every other industry has had to adjust and cut their cloth.  Football and sport generally rely on disposable income, but seem to think that they're immune from all this, that they live in a parallel universe where they can continue to overcharge and then wonder why their doors aren't coming off the hinges by the surge of people trying to get in.  The clubs are  a cartel, prices more or less the same in each division so you can't say it's a lot cheaper elsewhere.  You'd only take along someone you don't like to a Scottish League 2 match knowing they'd need to pay £14 to sit through 90 minutes of that 

2 arguments always get put forward to justify this

1 - "Aye, but you've far greater facilities now to watch the game."    Anyone, ANYONE, who comes away with that should get strung up from a lampost

2 - "If you want to maintain this standard, you need to pay for it".  No we don't want it maintained, we want it vastly improved.  That's got little to do with the admission price and everything to do with only employing coaches starting at youth level who actually know what the f**k they're doing. 

Is anyone seriously suggesting that, at random, some neutrals in the Fife area one Saturday fancy going to a game and see Cowdenbeath are closest and at home to let's say Elgin, see the price and say anything other than FUCKING HOW MUCH ??  Nah, we'll leave it, can get a Bundesliga game for near enough that.

There's a difference between talking the game down and calling it for what it is.  Our season improved because we got a management team who should be operating at a higher level, and half a team on loan from clubs who do operate at a higher level.  Standards.  But lucky if it's worth a tenner at most

All that said, some free kick by Jimmy Gilmour in that St Johnstone game right enough :guns

Maybe contact your local MSP ask him or her to raise it at the Scottish parliament it's an utter outrage imagine putting £1.26 on to each game. It's quite clear the club are trying to attract the prawn sandwich brigade and are pricing out normal fans

You seem to ignore that this £1.26 increase is not in isolation.

The general population have had above inflation increases to rents, gas, electricity, bus, rail, council services, school dinners and children's sports club fees etc.

This is while, for many, wages are stagnating or falling in real terms.

My fear is that some will start to pick and choose their matches as opposed to buying their season books.

You can obviously afford the increase as I can but others may not be able to.

Football once was a sport for the working classes. That is long gone.

What a lot of garbage don't know where you sit but the guy's I sit with aren't lawyers or hedgefund managers

Tell you what why don't you go to Celtic or rangers club shops see who is paying a fortune for kits , buying season tickets

There is plenty available cash around these days a lot more then when my dad took me to football 50 odd year ago it's how people decide to spend it. Yes there is poverty in this country which is a disgrace and should be rectified but to say that's why people don't go to football
is nonsense

What a lot of garbage don't know where you sit but the guy's I sit with aren't lawyers or hedgefund managers

Tell you what why don't you go to Celtic or rangers club shops see who is paying a fortune for kits , buying season tickets

There is plenty available cash around these days a lot more then when my dad took me to football 50 odd year ago it's how people decide to spend it. Yes there is poverty in this country which is a disgrace and should be rectified but to say that's why people don't go to football
is nonsense
Garbage?

Compare the average age of supporters now compared to when you or I were young. It's much older now. That is because older people have disposable income that many younger people do not have.

Many working class people are on minimum wage or on zero hour contracts. Many have had benefit cuts. How many of those will have enough disposable income to attend football on a regular basis?

To say that affordability and poverty are not reasons for many not to go to football is nonsense. It is probably one of the major reasons that many don't go.

Football is over priced full stop.

Garbage?

Compare the average age of supporters now compared to when you or I were young. It's much older now. That is because older people have disposable income that many younger people do not have.

Many working class people are on minimum wage or on zero hour contracts. Many have had benefit cuts. How many of those will have enough disposable income to attend football on a regular basis?

To say that affordability and poverty are not reasons for many not to go to football is nonsense. It is probably one of the major reasons that many don't go.

Football is over priced full stop.

So your definition of working class is minimum wage or on benefits? Interesting you don't consider joiners, plumbers, motor mechanics working class ( a term that should be consigned to history used simply to catogerise people as somehow of less value than others )

Ok guy and his 2 or three kids can if he buys a season ticket watch ever Clyde game this year for around a £10 per game
An under 18 supporter can watch Clyde games for £1 pound per game so how much cheaper do you want to make it?

So let me get this right 150 quid trainers
200 / 300 designer puffer ( jackets ) are being bought by 50 somethings?

This poor young generation that have no disposable income can barely afford the 300 plus ticket to music festivals or 70 to 100 quid to see their favourite at the hydro.

The reason our crowds dropped has nothing to do with cost, it was caused by the club being talked down for years and run with a small minded mentality look at the difference on and off the park now with a chairman who is pulling the club up by the boot straps and yes I got it wrong about Norrie Innes and im delighted he is proving me wrong

So your definition of working class is minimum wage or on benefits? Interesting you don't consider joiners, plumbers, motor mechanics working class ( a term that should be consigned to history used simply to catogerise people as somehow of less value than others )

Ok guy and his 2 or three kids can if he buys a season ticket watch ever Clyde game this year for around a £10 per game
An under 18 supporter can watch Clyde games for £1 pound per game so how much cheaper do you want to make it?

So let me get this right 150 quid trainers
200 / 300 designer puffer ( jackets ) are being bought by 50 somethings?

This poor young generation that have no disposable income can barely afford the 300 plus ticket to music festivals or 70 to 100 quid to see their favourite at the hydro.

The reason our crowds dropped has nothing to do with cost, it was caused by the club being talked down for years and run with a small minded mentality look at the difference on and off the park now with a chairman who is pulling the club up by the boot straps and yes I got it wrong about Norrie Innes and im delighted he is proving me wrong

I'm not talking about people who can afford £300 puffer jackets. I'm talking about people who are on the margin that attending football is a push financially for them already.

It appears to me that you are falling for the Daily Mail definition of working class. That is, people are poor because it's their own fault. That they waste their money on expensive trainers, puffer jackets, fags and bevvy.

There are many people who would love to attend football but simply cannot afford it.

In the past football was relatively inexpensive compared to now.

I just hope the additional cost of entry has a direct effect on the quality of football that we see next season.

£14 to sit in the freezing cold, watching piss poor football (even if we have improved) or stay at home in the warmth and spend the money on something you'll probably enjoy. Its not really a difficult decision and one i'm pretty sure anyone who is halfway inclined to go to games will make easily. 

Football in general is over priced.

This very small increase in prices this season, will it really stop people from going to matches. Will it really stop new people in attending.

We might be in a higher league next year.

People like David W really piss me off, quoting things like we only have 3 players signed on for next season. That might be the case and do you really think that's the priority for the management team right at this moment.

Do you not think for one minute that the management team will not sort this, David W?

Lets be honest here, we have a real management team in place and thank god we do. The chairman has shown real intent in under a year, his ambitions are clear to see. Not like the joker we had for far to long previously and a lot of people backed him.

Come on folks lets be real here

Football in general is over priced.
This very small increase in prices this season, will it really stop people from going to matches. Will it really stop new people in attending.
We might be in a higher league next year.
People like David W really piss me off, quoting things like we only have 3 players signed on for next season. That might be the case and do you really think that's the priority for the management team right at this moment.
Do you not think for one minute that the management team will not sort this, David W?
Lets be honest here, we have a real management team in place and thank god we do. The chairman has shown real intent in under a year, his ambitions are clear to see. Not like the joker we had for far to long previously and a lot of people backed him.
Come on folks lets be real here

As ever, it will all be judged on the pitch.

Win the league and all the complaints (including mine) will be forgotten.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

I'm not talking about people who can afford £300 puffer jackets. I'm talking about people who are on the margin that attending football is a push financially for them already.

It appears to me that you are falling for the Daily Mail definition of working class. That is, people are poor because it's their own fault. That they waste their money on expensive trainers, puffer jackets, fags and bevvy.

There are many people who would love to attend football but simply cannot afford it.

In the past football was relatively inexpensive compared to now.

I just hope the additional cost of entry has a direct effect on the quality of football that we see next season.

Certainly playing 15 miles away from Shawfield has put of me off going along to see Clyde. And the price for a product just slightly above non league.

So with the rate of performances (no obvious increase) over the last five years, say fast forward the next five and we are still in this division, is a near £20 to watch fourth tier Scottish Football worth it? Absolutely not. 

Ok, for any game I intend going to, i will offer the club the following deal. If you are in the top 4 i will pay £15. If you are outside a play off place it is £10 to get in.  Can’t say fairer than that. Pay for performance.

Did you think this way when you sat on the board as Finance Director?

I'll throw my tuppence worth in!!... the biggest problem lies with the distribution of monies from the SPFL/SFA hierarchy, the majority of the money goes into supporting the Premier and Championship, Div's 1 & 2 really scrap for the remaining crums (so much for trying to promote the game to all communities within Scotland). The income received from the Authorities definitely don't assist/sustain the financial operation of a football club at our level, hence the reality that other financial incomes are paramount. Correct each league will in general, be within a £1 of each other, however early bird season ticket promotions, free kids and under 18's and concessions will assist those who are/may not be in a position to afford such a cost. 

No doubt the team will be different next season due to loanees returning to their parent clubs, other teams cherry picking our better players, however I have every confidence that the Management team will try and retain the nucleus of the quality players we have and have an eye on which recruitments they wish to bring in (depending on the budget). They have demonstrated that they are ambitious and wish to progress the club forward. In addition compliments to Norrie for his efforts to date, and may well to positives continue. Remember he did have a relative clean slate to start his reign.........

Onwards and upwards, C'mon Berwick for one night only, if you win I'll definitely stand a round up at the Curfew and The Barrels 

Said it before, there should be set divisional prices, with caveats put in place depending on viewing experience.

Arguing about what is too expensive or current financial climate is redundant as most clubs are around the same level. Thats not to say Clyde or Stirling would not be within ther rights to charge more than say Elgin and certainly more than the shithole at Cowdenbeath.

If i'm not mistaken there were no increases in season ticket prices last season, so the clubs not done much wrong here, and who's to say the rest wont follow with a modest increase.

Over time, most things start costing more - what i'm excited about is probably having value for money next season.

Archived