CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

50 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Just seeing the under 20s 3-0 down to Ayr after 32 mins, made the point before but we really need to look and see if it's worth keeping that team going. 

10-0 with twenty minutes left. Make that 11-0 with 72 on the clock.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are ideally positioned more or less equidistant from Scotland's two biggest cities and slap bang in the middle of the Central Belt. You would think we could attract some decent young talent.

Hopefully Danny Lennon will sort it out like he has the first team.

I feel bad for a few of the players in the 20s. The likes of Sweeney must wonder wtf he’s doing there.  Also feel for Mcnally too obviously as he’s shown he’s a good coach. 

It seems a bit like a boys club set up not being able to field a full team and having just 1 sub etc.  Bit of a shambles !

9 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

We are ideally positioned more or less equidistant from Scotland's two biggest cities and slap bang in the middle of the Central Belt. You would think we could attract some decent young talent.

Hopefully Danny Lennon will sort it out like he has the first team.

Lets be honest here, there is absolutely no promotion of the youth set up locally that would encourage boys to join up. Added to the proximity of the OF and we are lucky to be able to field any team at all. I also suspect the fact that we were meant to be leaving town might well have also impacted this since parents were unlikely to put their kids in a program that might not be there much longer. Until an actual decision is made and we either move or agree to stay in Cumbernauld, i'm not sure the program will grow much.

52 minutes ago, scot-gcar709 said:

Lets be honest here, there is absolutely no promotion of the youth set up locally that would encourage boys to join up. Added to the proximity of the OF and we are lucky to be able to field any team at all. I also suspect the fact that we were meant to be leaving town might well have also impacted this since parents were unlikely to put their kids in a program that might not be there much longer. Until an actual decision is made and we either move or agree to stay in Cumbernauld, i'm not sure the program will grow much.

Like most other clubs at this level, Clyde have swapped their pro youth for community teams which are thriving in Cumbernauld and the Southside.

The Under 20s team is separate from these teams and by the time you reach 18, 19 then it's rarely going to be the parents choice of who you play for.

By that age, if you are any good you've been snapped up by a team higher up the pyramid. If you haven't been signed up then you play for teams like Clyde.

When you don't pay wages then the standard of player you attract to the Under 20s team is directly correlated to the level the First Team plays at. Anyone who is good enough to have options just goes to the team highest up the leagues that offers them a place.

Maybe the under 20 is tied into club licences or something, as it's completely pointless us having this team to lose 12 -0 is ludicrous [emoji23] to be honest can't really get to worked up about the results of under 20 team unless you have a structure below it then there is no progressing through the ranks and we don't have the finances

40 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Maybe the 20s could be doing with a couple of fringe first team players to help them if and when fit... Wright, breslin n so on if allowed....

Edited. Ayr did have three 1st team players starting so rule seems to be fine

Not in the next few weeks with a run of midweek games! 

Not in the next few weeks with a run of midweek games! 
True OODH

To be fair i did say couple of times last season we should scrap u20s. Weve had one or two who have played the odd game within last 5yr (Traynor,Millar & maybe one or two others max) Hardly worthwhile in costs and expenses to run this team,Would scrap full youth teams but would imagine club would get sone funding from SFA....

Anyway. Stirling on sat far more important. Hoping we take a big crowd through at a great venue for atmosphere and win this we have a huge chance of getting 4th...

Finally Peaso will be getting a clap at FT and hope others join in for what he and JP done to save us, He deserves it more than most[emoji106]

On 20/02/2018 at 10:14, haufdaft said:

Perhaps we should play our u20s in the Premier league. I'm sure they won't mind as it'll be for the good of Scottish football.

Is Tony McNally involved with the first team during match days? Was surprised

to be told today that Willie Torrance is coaching at Clyde. Cracking big guy. When

Dumbarton folded their youth set-up I believe he went to coach at Motherwell F.C.

Archived