CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

Interesting that everyone has basically picked two up front. Mostly the same goalkeeper and back four (which looks like a reasonable League 2 back line). Cuddihy the only midfielder consistently picked. Goodwillie obviously.

Currie

Duffie Munro McNiff Stewart

Ramsay Cuddihy Flynn

Gormley Goodwillie

I don't really know about the eleventh man. Could depend on the match, or form. I don't mind a diamond, maybe with Wright in there behind the front two. Ferguson if he gets himself fit enough to play 90 minutes and shows the directness he did yesterday. Possibly Lowdon if he gets match sharp. We must really be able to sign another midfielder; we've got whatever wages Miller was getting, and the 200 club/Easton money surely can't have all been used up on Munro and the two young loanees (all of which have been totally pointless signings, Bradley included).

What is absolutely certain in my eyes is that we'd be much better without Breslin or Nicoll in the team; they've both been at fault for far too many goals this season. We score enough goals that if we eliminate their rashness then we'll start to pick up results. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I'm no technical genius but surely it would be advantageous if once in a while the ball was played in front of the forward moving player as opposed to the player having to check back for the usual misplaced pass. Nicholl is particularly bad for this.

Also a bit more speed in moving the ball which hopefully leads to more one on ones on the wing.
For example, when passing the ball across the back four, miss out a player once in a while. We give too much time for the opponents to regain their positional structure.

It would also be a pleasant change if a midfielder would turn and face the opposition when in possession rather than take the easy option of playing it backwards to a defender (to be hoofed upfield).

Finally, Chapman obviously thinks McNiff is a Ronald Koeman and can spray 40 yard passes. He's not even a John Sweeney in that regard.

I like Cuddihy. I think he's obviously had a good level of coaching as a young player; he generally looks to take his first touch forward, and his passing has a good pace to it, though sometimes he picks the wrong pass to try and hit. He also follows his pass into space.  Reads the game well and wins the ball using his body, rather than having to lunge in, which means he doesn't sell himself if he loses out. He's the absolute opposite of Nicoll, who hits everything slowly and then doesn't participate in the rest of the move, constantly dives in and ends up completely out of the game. Watching Nicoll come deep to take the ball from the centre halves yesterday was embarrassing (not his fault necessarily). The number of times he jumped in on the number 11 and ended up out of the game was embarrassing and was his fault.

I'd suggest there are similarities to Cuddihy with Ramsay in terms of what he's learnt as a youngster, but he's more intent on working a space to get in a shot. He's not lazy but he's not as aware defensively (he'll see the picture but then not keep checking over his shoulder). I think we should be trusting them to move and carry the ball more than we are. Perhaps the problem, as you say, is getting them the ball.

Whatever team we play has to be minus Nicol, offers nothing as  centre half and even less as a centre mid. I would have thought either we have an actual central defender or central midfield player makes more sense in there. That said however given Chapmans signing policy so far he seems incapable of finding / spotting one. 

I  agree with most however we need two up top in ALL games.. It's league two FFS!

8 hours ago, cfcuk said:

His interview after yesterday was aimed at the players as it has been after every defeat
The fans get blamed for shouting at players , the modern player doesn't like public criticism , nobody does but in particular nowadays

I can't really disagree with a single thing he said in that interview. I'd be more disappointed if he was claiming the players had done their job properly, that Smart was unlucky his cross was intercepted, that Ferguson was unlucky. I don't see a problem with him saying things that every supporter has been saying. He'd have been the same at Annan and if the players didn't like it, they wouldn't have signed for Clyde. 

On a similar note, I don't see a problem with him knowing the chairman; that's tinfoil hat material again. It may well mean a better working relationship. It might've been why he took the job despite what looks like a cut in the wage bill. If we add "football men" to the oft criticised ex-Rangers/Celtic appointments, there's not really a huge amount left, is there?

I can't really disagree with a single thing he said in that interview. I'd be more disappointed if he was claiming the players had done their job properly, that Smart was unlucky his cross was intercepted, that Ferguson was unlucky. I don't see a problem with him saying things that every supporter has been saying. He'd have been the same at Annan and if the players didn't like it, they wouldn't have signed for Clyde. 
On a similar note, I don't see a problem with him knowing the chairman; that's tinfoil hat material again. It may well mean a better working relationship. It might've been why he took the job despite what looks like a cut in the wage bill. If we add "football men" to the oft criticised ex-Rangers/Celtic appointments, there's not really a huge amount left, is there?

Interesting concept where senior management take no responsibility for results and blame the work force.
So exactly who is responsible for results ? You state earlier that players look nervey and say it could be coming from the stands or themselves, yet you completely dismiss and idea it could be coming from the attitude in the dugout
If you believe he has a smaller budget than he did at Annan then what out for emails selling shares in a diamond mine in Greenland (it's a fake ) You continually rattle in about how good cuddihy and Ramsay yet you then say we can't get the ball to them? That might be down the ball being launched to DGW at every opportunity a tactic stated as our number one priority by Chapman
Not once has Chapman taken responsibility for a bad result
As for him being chums with the chairman where did I say that was a problem I simply said it would take a lot for him to be removed as a result
I wouldn't sack him just now firstly Innes asked to give it to Xmas and then we would see a turn around so give it to then , secondly it's a mute point as we don't have the money to pay him and his entourage off.

Currie

Duffie Munro McNiff Stewart

Ramsay Cuddihy Flynn

Gormley Goodwillie

I don't know what Ramsay and particularly Flynn have done this season to be in your team. Flynn has been as anonymous as a "Higgins"

If we're playing the ball long to the forwards then Gormley is useless as he can't hold or control the ball.

51 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I don't know what Ramsay and particularly Flynn have done this season to be in your team. Flynn has been as anonymous as a "Higgins"

If we're playing the ball long to the forwards then Gormley is useless as he can't hold or control the ball.

I've gone with the profile of player I'd like. I want players with a decent level of energy who don't make silly defensive mistakes, can press high up the pitch and who can move the ball with a decent level of technical ability. That's all you need at this level. We've got to playoffs with Sweeney, Capuano, Scott McLaughlin and Marsh in our midfields; it's not as big an area of importance as some claim.

I want a player who can defend wide, but play centrally when in possession and carry the ball in transition (Ramsay).  I'd happily pick someone else ahead of Flynn but the only other option is Nicoll and I'd rather set fire to my own face.

We've disagreed about Gormley before and I don't see value in doing so again. Again, if the option is him or Osolador, I'm not sure it's a hard choice at all.

Just seen the highlights of the game, never a penalty in a million years nowhere near in the box, not even sure it was a foul at all , the guy took some swan dive making sure he fell inside the area.  Others have said they were denied a penalty earlier but very hard to figure anything from the poor camera work, hope the footage gets better as the season goes on, far too far away, need to zoom in a little bit more to figure anything out. I hope the guy who was showing decent for the penalty claim was also booked, if not the ref is as much of a dick as DW claimed , before the match.

That last page was depressing to read. I really want to fast forward this season to its conclusion now. Or at least to January. Too many rubbish players have already been made peace with. And we are, once more, painting an incredibly complicated picture of our form when the reality is completely simple.

On 25 September 2017 at 17:13, haufdaft said:

At the time I was amazed how compliant our players were given it was obviously outside the box.

Almost as compliant as when they formed a defensive wall 12 yards from a free kick and had to be encouraged to step forward to the ref's sprayed line!  Never seen that before.

But wait - isnt the chairman's sole purpose to move us out to some regen area?

It wont please all, but it's our home, and we need to make the most of it. Getting a winning team on the park goes a long way. Improving the match day experience comes with that. It was always going to take time to rebuild the fractured relationships of the past, much of which was of our own doing, but with freshness on both sides of the table, interim common sense appears to have prevailed.

Anyone got a link for this? Not seen anything myself. Not had anything through ownership (that I can find in my minefield of emails)

Edited to add : got it now

So does it say we are staying at broadwood for the long haul
Would be good to get some settled once and for all
Give us a real focus

I think it's a reference to a reply to a question on the Clyde owners Q&A.

Cheers had a look

Looks a positive move in my opinion
The club needs to focus on matters on the pitch , success will increase crowds you can then try and get more locals along. Plus these are initiating a new scheme for youth development based at broadwood [emoji106]

Archived