CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. In our First Team squad this season we've got Cammy Binnie, Ross McGeachie, Scott Davidson, Lee Hamilton, Connor McMullan & Ross Kavanagh who have all come through our youth set up. You can also throw Callumn Morrison to that list, but Hearts have bought him off of us and loaned him back.

We've also had SPL teams buy youth players like Greg Hurst (and Morrison) off of us. We've got players involved with Scotland Youth squads and in the last 5 years, 3 players have won scholarships to America.

Surely if it's ran right, a youth set up is a valued asset to provide players for the First Team and to give LOCAL players an avenue to play football? I'd argue it was.

Think you'll find Kavanagh was an Alloa product originally and Hamilton was from Falkirk.

Not sure the club (as opposed to the youth academy which is run separately from the club) saw any money for Morrison or Hurst.

If Morrison had been offered a pathway to the first team three or four years ago, he may - not definitely - but may have been a financial asset to SAFC now.

Why is it a success that a steady stream of young talent ends up in America instead of the first team?

There are successful youth academies, but this isn't one of them.

55 minutes ago, King Crownest said:

Think you'll find Kavanagh was an Alloa product originally and Hamilton was from Falkirk.

Yip, you're spot on there KC. I didn't actually realise that about Kav but the minute I read about Hamilton and Falkirk I remember him signing from Falkirk along with Sandy Cunningham.

19 hours ago, Morocco Mole said:

Personally I think Cumbernauld and Kilsyth is a big enough area that there is potentially missed talent there. Also if we had some sort of commercial manager bringing in backing from local business then the cost wouldn't be as much of a burden to the club. Like I said earlier if run properly it could be beneficial to the club!

Surely the Colts are picking up the best youngsters in the Cumbernauld and Kilsyth area.

On 8/10/2017 at 12:14, haufdaft said:

Are our support any different from any other teams?

Seriously, they are.  I used to go to Shawfield when QP weren't playing and couldn't believe the stick that the fans gave their own players; and they thought that they were being really funny.  It seems to be much the same today.  I don't see that much anywhere else.

We have guys who will slag the team no matter how well they are doing, and all teams have that, but Clyde fans seem to take it to a much higher level.  This is seen by some on here to show an admirable level of commitment; probably won't seem like that if you're on the receiving end.

21 hours ago, Snakebite said:

It costs a fortune to run these setups with little return at this level when finances are tight as it is. The top clubs are cherry picking the best young talent. I think it is completely fair to say however that a 17 year old released by the Old Firm or Hearts or the like is much more likely to make it given a second chance at a lower level of senior football, than someone chucked at 17 by Clyde, considering the higher standard they will have been playing at in comparison.

I think hes completely right. 

We have had a great youth set up for quite a while and we lose guys constantly to the Old Firm; McGeady started with us and was picked up by Celtic after a year.  That applies to youth coaches that we've developed too as we've lost quite a few to the OF.  The SPL is full of guys who were with us as youngsters.  But, yes, we get the OF cast-offs (Andy Robertson the famous example), and recharge them.  Most of the guys who went from us in the past few years were dumped by bigger sides before we rescued them.

Seriously, they are.  I used to go to Shawfield when QP weren't playing and couldn't believe the stick that the fans gave their own players; and they thought that they were being really funny.  It seems to be much the same today.  I don't see that much anywhere else.
We have guys who will slag the team no matter how well they are doing, and all teams have that, but Clyde fans seem to take it to a much higher level.  This is seen by some on here to show an admirable level of commitment; probably won't seem like that if you're on the receiving end.

To be honest, I've never heard the Queens Park supporters.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Yip, you're spot on there KC. I didn't actually realise that about Kav but the minute I read about Hamilton and Falkirk I remember him signing from Falkirk along with Sandy Cunningham.

Nothing wrong with taking on youngsters from other clubs - Ross Cameron's another one.

Think Hurst left for nothing because the club wouldn't give him a first team deal. Heard he was spotted by St Johnstone while turning out for Doune Castle.

The number of Albion youngsters who have ended up in America is a long list - not all would have made the first team I'm sure but perhaps many might have done.

Amazing coincidence that one of the companies that gets paid for setting up kids with American university scholarships is run by two blokes who were Albion youth academy coaches. They were doing both jobs at the same time for years.

39 minutes ago, Fat Sally said:

Good to see the club honouring Brian McCammick with a minutes silence tomorrow.

Was going to say the same myself, thoroughly deserving of a minutes silence for his service to the club. 

Scott Linton any good?

I would say good addition to squad
Wouldnt have a bad word said against him struggled last year with injuries
One of the players I think most fans would like to have resigned but unfortunately due to our austerity strategy and the fact he didn't play for Annan at anytime in his career [emoji6] left the club
Really good going forward , good delivery and if you want a cracking long throw

4 hours ago, cfcuk said:

No

Absolute abomination of a cup hope
we send out under 20 team and get out as soon as possible

Potential tie in Europe next round though... 

I'm happy for us to try given we're up against a non-Colt side.

We've had folk saying we should've treated the league cup as a series of preseason games. Now we have folk wanting to chuck it in the Challenge Cup.

How many cups should we try to compete in this season? One? Perhaps we shouldn't bother with that either and "concentrate on the league".

I myself, enjoy seeing us play different teams from the usual league two perennials (colts excluded)

Archived