CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

Anyone who ever posted anything conciliatory about PJ's pace is no better than John Ruddy who occasionally treated supporters to sycophantic speeches about Gary Arbuckle's pace.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aye bin him. Till the next player to receive. Were in the third div with mostly third div players. Were always going to have players with limited skill. Try supporting n encourage...

Yes we will have players with limited skill, why would we keep them on after proving to be worse than useless for a full season? Time for someone else to get a chance, would be hard pushed to find worse IMO.

As for your last comment, somewhat ironic given I have been defending Gormley and McNiff on here earlier in the week but ultimately it is up to each how they support the team. I can understand how shouting abuse at games can be counter productive but your attempts to silence free speech on here, in case it hurts someone's feelings, is embarrassing.

Boo - Boy. Support or dont bother. Doesnt help anyone

Regards your last Q. I couldnt give a flying about these ppl. They aint my.life. Clyde are and will always be...

Now away n run along n like someones post or vice versa

I've never booed a Clyde player as an individual. I will, however offer my opinion on P&B and to those who sit near me at the match.

I have admittedly booed the team off the park at the end of a game. The Montrose midweek game being an example. They deserved it for their disgusting performance. That performance was an insult to myself and my fellow supporters who attended that night.
I didn't see an apology from the players. Nor did they refuse their wages for the match. They probably didn't care.

That is what I call offensive and hurtful. After all, they are not doing it as a favour. They get paid decent money for basically carrying out their hobby. The rest of us pay for the privilege. Should we pay and shut up?

In regards to liking some posts, I do that when I agree with someone or like their post. That's how its meant to work I think.

No doubt I've liked your posts in the past.
(I was a little put out that you didn't like mine back though)

Yes we will have players with limited skill, why would we keep them on after proving to be worse than useless for a full season? Time for someone else to get a chance, would be hard pushed to find worse IMO.

As for your last comment, somewhat ironic given I have been defending Gormley and McNiff on here earlier in the week but ultimately it is up to each how they support the team. I can understand how shouting abuse at games can be counter productive but your attempts to silence free speech on here, in case it hurts someone's feelings, is embarrassing.

Free speech or constantly having a go at our team players. Bad games n day yes and personally theres one or two that shouldnt be in the squad but i dont feel it helps coning on SM or at games giving them pelters,Their more likely to go into a further shell,not improve or say to themselves f**k this lot-I know i would .

When i wasnt enjoying it i stopped going for a cpl months from annan at H around xmas time. Thats how i dealt with it. Too many always waiting or gloat failure...

Just saying

I keep this thread open in a browser tab with a macro enabled. The macro makes the browser tab blink black and then white when wish-thought and falsehoods reach unbearable levels. Page 63 has done the trick, I reckon.

Firstly, in a single season, both Archie Campbell and Sean Higgins have managed 13 goals and 6 assists in what is now Championship. You can hate on them all you like: those are indisputably excellent numbers in that league. Once-and-always rubbish players cannot not rack them up. And Higgins, in truth, was a consistently high scorer for many season in that league, if anyone cares to remember. If we're going to 'hope' that East Stirling's Grant might come good, I don't see why we don't ask Campbell back from Kelty; smashing player if he applied himself. Or Higgins back from Albion. Smashing player if you build your entire team around him, he bothers to stay fit and so on. You see the point. Have we forgotten the record Bryan Dingwall came to Clyde with? And from a far better league back then.

Next, the suggestion that signing players you're familiar with or with who you've worked with before might have some advantage in principle can be disproved by reference to the career of one Richard 'Dick' Campbell. A man who generally did - and still does - well out of having henchmen eventually found it extremely limiting at Partick Thistle.

As for high-wages and signing the stand-outs - who? Flynn and Easton? Lowden and McNiff cannot possibly count - the only thing Ferguson changed in the season gone-by was the style of football we tried to play. The wage bill, aside one player perhaps, won't have been hugely different. Given that, we should remember that we got to a play off final in the season before last under 'Wur Barry', however bad he ended up being and with however high a wage bill he then had.

What point am I making? The point is this: if we want to tell stories about why we've done badly in the past, they should at least have an honest background. If they don't, there's a good chance we'll believe them and make the same mistakes again. Nobody on here knows why it's a better idea to give someone like East Stirling's Grant another chance, as opposed to Archie Campbell for example. Campbell scores with ease at Kelty, albeit not quite as much as Grant. But Kelty play in a better league than East Stirling, for my money. So if we're going to weave a great yarn about why Grant and other 'known-faces' might be not so bad, why don't we ask Campbell back? Loads of Scotland Unders caps. Fast and strong if we can get him fit; better than Grant, easy. Come on. What are we allowing ourselves here? Piffle.

Yes: suspend judgement on Chapman until he's finished his signings and thrown a good few teams out. But don't let's pretend that there's already something auspicious about his approach. We know and can foretell absolutely nothing.

I keep this thread open in a browser tab with a macro enabled. The macro makes the browser tab blink black and then white when wish-thought and falsehoods reach unbearable levels. Page 63 has done the trick, I reckon.

Firstly, in a single season, both Archie Campbell and Sean Higgins have managed 13 goals and 6 assists in what is now Championship. You can hate on them all you like: those are indisputably excellent numbers in that league. Once-and-always rubbish players cannot not rack them up. And Higgins, in truth, was a consistently high scorer for many season in that league, if anyone cares to remember. If we're going to 'hope' that East Stirling's Grant might come good, I don't see why we don't ask Campbell back from Kelty; smashing player if he applied himself. Or Higgins back from Albion. Smashing player if you build your entire team around him, he bothers to stay fit and so on. You see the point. Have we forgotten the record Bryan Dingwall came to Clyde with? And from a far better league back then.

Next, the suggestion that signing players you're familiar with or with who you've worked with before might have some advantage in principle can be disproved by reference to the career of one Richard 'Dick' Campbell. A man who generally did - and still does - well out of having henchmen eventually found it extremely limiting at Partick Thistle.

As for high-wages and signing the stand-outs - who? Flynn and Easton? Lowden and McNiff cannot possibly count - the only thing Ferguson changed in the season gone-by was the style of football we tried to play. The wage bill, aside one player perhaps, won't have been hugely different. Given that, we should remember that we got to a play off final in the season before last under 'Wur Barry', however bad he ended up being and with however high a wage bill he then had.

What point am I making? The point is this: if we want to tell stories about why we've done badly in the past, they should at least have an honest background. If they don't, there's a good chance we'll believe them and make the same mistakes again. Nobody on here knows why it's a better idea to give someone like East Stirling's Grant another chance, as opposed to Archie Campbell for example. Campbell scores with ease at Kelty, albeit not quite as much as Grant. But Kelty play in a better league than East Stirling, for my money. So if we're going to weave a great yarn about why Grant and other 'known-faces' might be not so bad, why don't we ask Campbell back? Loads of Scotland Unders caps. Fast and strong if we can get him fit; better than Grant, easy. Come on. What are we allowing ourselves here? Piffle.

Yes: suspend judgement on Chapman until he's finished his signings and thrown a good few teams out. But don't let's pretend that there's already something auspicious about his approach. We know and can foretell absolutely nothing.

In the last 6 years Higgins has scored a total of 34 goals that isn't even an average of 6 a season
Think there is only one person making up stories [emoji23]

He chucked circa 2011

I'll give it a Month before you all start on Grant.. Naw Three weeks. 

East Stirling fans seem to think it was a wind up by his mates on twitter or is there more to it? Either way we should stick by our players. Can't give them shit constantly and expect them to give their all week in week out. They are part time players after all. They have bigger priorities as sad as it sounds.

East Stirling fans seem to think it was a wind up by his mates on twitter or is there more to it? Either way we should stick by our players. Can't give them shit constantly and expect them to give their all week in week out. They are part time players after all. They have bigger priorities as sad as it sounds.

We have a winner

There is actually a debate worth having in amongst this "don't hurt the players feelings" talk.

We live in different times from when we had previous good teams. The Junior Revolution, Kernahagn's team, Reid's team, Graham Robert's and all before. All those teams had bad games on occasion but when they had a bad game they just took the abuse on a Saturday from the stands. After a match if a fan had something to say to a player then they had to man up and say it to the players face which would rarely happen. Nowadays internet access is everywhere and people can go straight online and post their feelings without any need to look the player in the eye.

Players now can't just shrug off the abuse on a Saturday, get the head down and then prepare for the next game. Even if they don't read Pie and Bovril themselves, their families and friends or team mates will and they'll find out what people are saying. Their Twitter mentions and Facebook messages will have comments from supporters.

It's easy to say they shouldn't read it but it's human nature to want to know what people think of you and for younger players the fact people are talking about them is a novelty.

Letting a player know how you feel on a Saturday might motivate them, get them angry, make them give that extra 5%. Whatever they hear on a Saturday can be forgotten about at the final whistle. A player hearing all week about how the fans think he's shite gets in their head, knocks their confidence so they start the game on a downer. No surprise they don't feel like battling. The manager has to be able to combat that and get them up for the game.

Unless Theresa May gets her way and the internet just becomes cat pictures then it can't be changed but it does add a new dynamic that modern footballers and managers have to contend with. The likes of Alan Maitland never had to deal with players thinking about stuff said online about them. If something was said then it was a Saturday and that's it.

Of all League Two clubs, I don't think anyone would dispute that Clyde fans are the most vocal online. Could that have an effect on player morale when the team is struggling? Possibly, I don't know but it's a debate worth having when there isn't much else to talk about in the close season. Any psychologists in here?

There is actually a debate worth having in amongst this "don't hurt the players feelings" talk.
We live in different times from when we had previous good teams. The Junior Revolution, Kernahagn's team, Reid's team, Graham Robert's and all before. All those teams had bad games on occasion but when they had a bad game they just took the abuse on a Saturday from the stands. After a match if a fan had something to say to a player then they had to man up and say it to the players face which would rarely happen. Nowadays internet access is everywhere and people can go straight online and post their feelings without any need to look the player in the eye.
Players now can't just shrug off the abuse on a Saturday, get the head down and then prepare for the next game. Even if they don't read Pie and Bovril themselves, their families and friends or team mates will and they'll find out what people are saying. Their Twitter mentions and Facebook messages will have comments from supporters.
It's easy to say they shouldn't read it but it's human nature to want to know what people think of you and for younger players the fact people are talking about them is a novelty.
Letting a player know how you feel on a Saturday might motivate them, get them angry, make them give that extra 5%. Whatever they hear on a Saturday can be forgotten about at the final whistle. A player hearing all week about how the fans think he's shite gets in their head, knocks their confidence so they start the game on a downer. No surprise they don't feel like battling. The manager has to be able to combat that and get them up for the game.
Unless Theresa May gets her way and the internet just becomes cat pictures then it can't be changed but it does add a new dynamic that modern footballers and managers have to contend with. The likes of Alan Maitland never had to deal with players thinking about stuff said online about them. If something was said then it was a Saturday and that's it.
Of all League Two clubs, I don't think anyone would dispute that Clyde fans are the most vocal online. Could that have an effect on player morale when the team is struggling? Possibly, I don't know but it's a debate worth having when there isn't much else to talk about in the close season. Any psychologists in here?

Million%

So going by your theory in the past two years east Stirling and Cowdenbeath fans have been the most vociferous online resulting in there players chucking it in ?
Ok I will go with this debate about how sensitive these players are, can I have one example of a good player who got stick one week for a poor performance and came out next week and didn't try ?
It's about ability and character if a bit of stick online or from the stands has such a devastating effect on your performance you ain't cut out to be a pro football player end of.
It's just an excuse for players who just ain't good enough and the usual it's all the fans fault for where we are today.

Ok I will throw another point in for debate explain why when last year's team got terrific backing particularly at away games the majority still looked like they couldn't give a toss

E.g. cowdenbeath away it was even commented on by beath fans?

All about opinions

Easton signed two year deal at Forfar, they must be really worried about his fitness [emoji23]

Kinda tells you all you need to know, as I stated earlier the club never wanted to resign him for whatever reason

Done and dusted

Archived