Stenhousemuir -vs- Brechin City

The final game of the season and, without a doubt, the most important for both sets of teams. Stenhousemuir know that a win will be enough to see them finish in the relegation play-off; Brechin City, meanwhile, are in a similar position and go into the match knowing a point will guarantee them fourth place ahead of East Fife. With this in mind, an interesting contest awaits. The onus will be on the home side to make the most of it, as Brechin can probably afford to sit in and contain them, and I'm keen to see how they'll handle the pressure of the occasion.

Stenhousemuir haven't been all that great on the final day of the season when there's been something to play for over the last five years. Not since beating Peterhead 3-0 at the end of 2010/11 have the team won the pressure's been on:

• In 2011/12, a three-game winning run saw Davie Irons side draw level with Airdrieonians in fifth with one game remaining. The Diamonds travelled to Cowdenbeath, who hadn't been beaten at home all season, while we took on Forfar Athletic at Ochilview. While Airdrie and Cowden drew, Stenny were rubbish against a lower-table Loons and lost 2-1, with Ross McMillan's early own goal setting the tone for the afternoon;
  • In 2012/13, the Warriors went into the final weekend in sixth but new that a win and results going their way would see them finish in fourth. Despite having won their last four matches, a lowly Stranraer proved too hot to handle and Stenny lost 2-1. It wouldn't have mattered anyway as Forfar Athletic won their match against Ayr United, but the point remains;
  • (The final match of the season in 2013/14 was a dead-rubber encounter with, curiously enough, Brechin City);
  • 2014/15 was a dire season (hi, Scott Booth!) but Stenhousemuir could still have avoided ninth place if they beat an already-relegated Stirling Albion and hope Forfar did them a favour at Ayr United. In the end, Ayr United's win was inconsequential as the Binos, Stenny's bete noir that season, smashed them 3-2 at Forthbank with Ross Forsyth and Andy Stirling score two lovely goals;
  • And last season, we went into the final game in seventh, knowing a win against Albion Rovers would see us to safety. Instead, the team were bleached 3-1 and it was only Cowdenbeath's wretchedness that saved them in the end.

So, with all this in mind, history really isn't on Stenny's side. On top of that, we haven't been very good against Brechin this year, taking one point from the three meetings. We were particularly poor when the sides last met at Ochilview, with some of the Warriors' defending so unbelievably awful it had to be seen; Brechin couldn't have scored an easier three goals all season. I'm not sure what to expect from them as their form hasn't been too hot over the last month but you always have to work hard to take anything from them.

I don't know what the situation is with injuries and suspensions - I imagine Kieran Millar will miss out after this red card at Queen's Park - but we should look to continue with the same 3-5-2 system and the same personnel that's done us so well over the last few weeks.

I also hope that Alloa Athletic can do us a favour up in Peterhead. Jim Goodwin probably has an eye on the play-offs and might be inclined to rest his better players - he's perfectly entitled to do so, no doubt about it - so we can't expect anything from them, no matter how bad a side the Blue Toon are. All we can really do is go out on Saturday and open up a can of whoop-ass. Hell yeah!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hell yeah!

It doesn't matter what team alloa put as long as you can smell what the stenny are cooking and we concentrate and do our own job. 

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I also hope that Alloa Athletic can do us a favour up in Peterhead. Jim Goodwin probably has an eye on the play-offs and might be inclined to rest his better players - he's perfectly entitled to do so, no doubt about it - so we can't expect anything from them, no matter how bad a side the Blue Toon are. 

We have been sure of 2nd for the past couple of weeks yet still managed wins against Airdrie and Stranraer, sides who actually needed the points. The manager has made wee changes but still picked strong teams and I suspect it will be similar on Saturday, he has spoken of the importance of momentum going into the the play-offs. No point in busting a gut, but would be good to avoid defeat at least. I certainly hope we can do Bomber a wee favour.

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

We have been sure of 2nd for the past couple of weeks yet still managed wins against Airdrie and Stranraer, sides who actually needed the points. The manager has made wee changes but still picked strong teams and I suspect it will be similar on Saturday, he has spoken of the importance of momentum going into the the play-offs. No point in busting a gut, but would be good to avoid defeat at least. I certainly hope we can do Bomber a wee favour.

Absolutely. I've been pleasantly surprised with Alloa Athletic's commitment over the past few weeks and their willingness to win every game, even when nothing's really at stake for them. I'd probably expect them to Peterhead - you're correct in what you say about the team's professional pride and their willingness to take their good form into the play-offs - but if you've got a big match against Aidrieonians or Brechin City a couple of days later, do you really want to take guys like Iain Flannigan, Greig Spence or Andy Graham all the way up to Peterhead to play a big, hard side that are (supposedly) fighting for their lives? I would completely understand if some of the key players were rested for the day.

Maybe I'm just being overly cautious. I remember worrying that Livingston might be too distracted to beat Peterhead last weekend and they scudded them 4-1, so what do I know!

53 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Absolutely. I've been pleasantly surprised with Alloa Athletic's commitment over the past few weeks and their willingness to win every game, even when nothing's really at stake for them. I'd probably expect them to Peterhead - you're correct in what you say about the team's professional pride and their willingness to take their good form into the play-offs - but if you've got a big match against Aidrieonians or Brechin City a couple of days later, do you really want to take guys like Iain Flannigan, Greig Spence or Andy Graham all the way up to Peterhead to play a big, hard side that are (supposedly) fighting for their lives? I would completely understand if some of the key players were rested for the day.

Maybe I'm just being overly cautious. I remember worrying that Livingston might be too distracted to beat Peterhead last weekend and they scudded them 4-1, so what do I know!

I'd certainly rest some players, but with our strength in depth at the moment that would still allow for a good team. We were in the same situation a few years back with a trip to Gayfield on the last day and the play-offs already secured. Hartley made a number of changes. Arbroath needed to win but Alloa stole it 1-0, the winning goal coming from a 15 year old. 

Your right about us sitting in . We re horrendous to watch under Darren but its got us where we are .. I m surprised Stenny have been bottom most of season as did nt think they were too bad ..

For us we need our better playerz to keep the head and quit this needless fouls leading to silly bookings .. If we get ball down and try to play footy we re a good side but if we resort to high balls up to Jacko against 6ft + defenders its an absolute joke...

Gonna be a decent support goin down one big push and play offs will take care of the themselves ...:thumsup2

Stenhousemuir are appealing the red card given to Kieran Miller on Saturday. Looked a soft red at the time and hopefully the video evidence is available to get the red card rescinded. Huge player for us. 

Probably the most exciting game of the season. A most indifferent 9 months. I feel we've done ok but been lucky,the nature of the league allows us to be where we are but at the beginning of the campaign we would all be happy with where we are now. Mon the City

On 02/05/2017 at 10:50, Waspie said:

I'd certainly rest some players, but with our strength in depth at the moment that would still allow for a good team. We were in the same situation a few years back with a trip to Gayfield on the last day and the play-offs already secured. Hartley made a number of changes. Arbroath needed to win but Alloa stole it 1-0, the winning goal coming from a 15 year old. 

Who was the 15 year old? Is he still playing?

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Who was the 15 year old? Is he still playing?

Scott Hynd. He is still with Alloa. He played well when he got a start against Hibs last season and scored a late equaliser against East Fife earlier this season, but has generally struggled to get games. 

Archived