Greenock Morton 1 Dundee United 1 - The Shanfest Part V

The glorious Clyde Riviera will play host to yet another clash between two, lumbering, tactical dinosaurs for supremacy: Jim Duffy, returning from a deserved touchline ban for not finishing the job on popcorn teeth, and gormless loser Ray 'Ray' McKinnon. The game is technically meaningless for the home side: which should suit the players as they've been treating the last month of the campaign as a set of meaningless games in preparation for this one. I suspect that we'll rotate out a couple of key players again based on fitness concerns or potential suspensions, but with Dundee United being our probable visitors the following midweek Duffy will want to avoid an absolute shoeing. 

1-1.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No point half-arsing it like the Dunfermline game: if we're going to rest players then actually rest the lot of them and just put the development squad and fringe players out. There's nothing to gain from putting four or five youngsters in to ensure we lose while not giving a rest to first team players who aren't fully fit like Kilday and Oliver. The only regulars I'd consider including are McDonagh, Tidser and Russell, whose fitness might benefit from getting more games rather than a rest.

McGowan

McDonagh - someone I've never heard of - someone I've never heard of - Strapp

Tiffoney - someone I've never heard of - Tidser - Russell

Scullion - Donnelly

Subs: Halliwell, someone I've never heard of x6

Gaston

Doyle Kilday Lamie Strapp

Lindsay Murdoch

McDonagh Tidser Tiffoney

Oliver

We need to get rid of the 4-4-2 as it means we are just lumping the ball up to the strikers all the time. We are at our best when we get the ball down and play football. Three men in the middle of the park is the way forward IMO.

Another opportunity to potentially nick 2nd, in a completely meaningless game for the opposition. I wish I could say I can see this going well for us.

Hopefully Kuate is running a few marathons this week as he looks like a player if he gets fit. Cue Djemba-Djemba performance on Saturday.

Will United field a full strength 11 in the hope of grabbing 2nd? 

We will certainly make changes like we did last week.

If United do field a full strength 11 and still finish 3rd, I will fancy our chances in the playoffs as 3 games in 6 days would be tough ask for anyone.

As my season ticket has run out (share it with my son as you can do with the new season ticket set up at Cappielow) I won't bother going to this one given that the one that matters is on Tuesday night.  Duffy has said players will be rested, so be Interesting to see how the Morton Under 13 Girls get on on Saturday against United's first team squad.

1 hour ago, madton said:

If United do field a full strength 11 and still finish 3rd, I will fancy our chances in the playoffs as 3 games in 6 days would be tough ask for anyone.

I suspect we'll field a full strength side, as we still have a small chance of 2nd depending on the Falkirk result. Although it would be very much like us to field a shadow side, fail to win and then find out that Falkirk had dropped points against Dumbarton. It's a gamble either way.

I think we will put a strong team out. The Edge and Murray are suspended so they will get a rest. Fraser is returning for the play-offs too, so they 3 will all the fresh for the 2 play off games. Can see maybe Dixon coming in this week and maybe Dillon to give Murdoch/Robson a rest. Then rotation in midfield between Kuate/Flood/Telfer/Allardice

Archived