Queen of the South vs Dunfermline: 5th place showdown

The biggest and most important game of the weekend takes place at Palmerston Park this Saturday, with the Doonhamers and the Pars fighting it out for the coveted and much prized 5th place in the league. Should Queens win the laurels go to them, but should the Pars avoid defeat, they will take the crown.

The Pars have failed to beat Queens this season, with two draws and a defeat. This is the perfect chance to avenge this shameful statistic. 

We'll be leaving Gavin Reilly behind to save him the train fare back down once Hearts release him. You can just keep him in storage until the new season starts, or maybe add him to the ground staff. Either way, this will be his last occasion as a Pars 'player', and no tears will be shed, at least in the away end. I imagine that in the home end Hawk will be shedding tears of joy. 

Most of the away support will be pretty drunk I imagine, especially since a couple of buses are setting off at 08.00. I plan to indulge in a few libations pre and post match myself.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most important game of our season so far. AJ will be under a lot of pressure to set us up for a playoff spot going into next week.

Let's take some time to reflect on previous encounters.

First up is a robust challenge from 2008. Not even a booking;

Next, a fine own goal by Bob Harris;

Then a game from 1988;

And finally, for no reason other than I stumbled across it on Youtube and found it amusing, Forfar beating Queens 8-3 in  1993;

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Then a game from 1988;

And finally, for no reason other than I stumbled across it on Youtube and found it amusing, Forfar beating Queens 8-3 in  1993;

I was at that 4-2 game. Always stuck in my head as I liked Trevor Smith (one of four Smiths from that time) and think he scored that day. 

ETA.. I knew there was a point to the story. Had it on VHS, taped off Sportscene or Scotsport. Had highlights from that season and our first spell in the Premier, beating Celtic at home, knocking Rangers out of the cup. Then I hit puberty and started taping bits of Eurotrash etc over it.

Never been able to find a video of the 6-1 game in 2011. I'm sure that was only a week or two before the decider against the wee team. David Graham jumping into the net at one of the last goals was a satisfying sight.

14 minutes ago, smpar said:

Never been able to find a video of the 6-1 game in 2011. I'm sure that was only a week or two before the decider against the wee team. David Graham jumping into the net at one of the last goals was a satisfying sight.

Queens did well to bounce back up so quickly after being so rotten at that time. I'd never seen a bunch of defenders as panic stricken as Queens'. Pars seemed to decide six was enough and the last ten minutes or so was just going through the motions.

Archived