Objectives for Rodgers next season!?

After arguably one of our best seasons in a long time, what will be Rodgers objectives for next season? Fundamentally, all efforts should be used now to really mount a successful campaign in the Champions League and keep the 10 in a row campaign alive. Which players/positions should be targeted going into next season to really drive both?

Sell Dembele and Tierney for £200m and strengthen, then take on Europe's elite.

I was thinking more £250m to be honest! Tierneys performance yesterday alone was worth at least £150m

Rodgers' first objective for next season will be moving to an English Premier League team, possibly Arsenal or Man United.

Well, maybe not his firs[t objective, but certainly his first action.

[Edited to absolve Brendan from accusations of obscure sexual activity.]

16 hours ago, gannonball said:

league title, another domestic trophy and in Europe after xmas would be a decent aim.

Good shout there, guaranteed European footy after Christmas in either the Champions League or Europa league would be a good objective to aim for. Not that it is easy, but because it can be done if the draws are kind.

Although in saying that if we are pish as usual in Europe I'll settle for another treble, I'm sure the meltdown from the **** at going for a triple treble will send them into maximum seethe mode, which is nice. :)

A little more seriously, I think one objective would be to continue the clear out of the dead wood in the squad still left over from the Lennon/Deila eras. Ciftci, Allan,and Bailly are all still under contract and are not Celtic material IMHO while there are a few players (Commons, Ambrose, Izaguirre) who are out of contract this summer and will leave as well.  Squad needs to be trimmed down in order to accommodate any new signings plus the possibility of a youngster like Kristoffer Ajer or an academy lad like Aitchison being ready for more first team football.  

In doing a bit more thinking, here is my list of players that I would like to see leave or think will leave in the summer

Kolo Toure (at least as a player, I could see him hang up his boots and join the coaching staff)

Emilio Izaguirre

Nir Bitton

Gary Mackay-Steven

Logan Bailly

Kris Commons

Efe Ambrose

Saidy Janko

Scott Allan

Nadir Ciftci

Shopping list should include

1 or 2 wingers

1 central defender

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

In doing a bit more thinking, here is my list of players that I would like to see leave or think will leave in the summer

Kolo Toure (at least as a player, I could see him hang up his boots and join the coaching staff)

Emilio Izaguirre

Nir Bitton

Gary Mackay-Steven

Logan Bailly

Kris Commons

Efe Ambrose

Saidy Janko

Scott Allan

Nadir Ciftci

Shopping list should include

1 or 2 wingers

1 central defender

Surely another striker should be a priority? One who is better than the thumb as a back up to Dembele?

1 minute ago, hellbhoy said:

Surely another striker should be a priority? One who is better than the thumb as a back up to Dembele?

I still think Griffiths can do the business, we will certainly see in the coming weeks.  I also wonder if Brendan will give young Aitchison some more game time in the next weeks.  If a striker is needed then my Canadian bias would suggest Orlando City's 22 year old Cyle Larin.  He's got 38 goals in 68 appearances for them, plus 5 goals in 19 appearances for Canada.  

6 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I still think Griffiths can do the business, we will certainly see in the coming weeks.  I also wonder if Brendan will give young Aitchison some more game time in the next weeks.  If a striker is needed then my Canadian bias would suggest Orlando City's 22 year old Cyle Larin.  He's got 38 goals in 68 appearances for them, plus 5 goals in 19 appearances for Canada.  

Griffiths is fine with the domestic level and can score more than his fair share goals. Maybe I should have pointed out a striker bought solely for the purpose of European footy where I think Griffiths comes up short. Someone who has a name for scoring in Europe, he won't be cheap but I think the club needs to spend a fair bit on one player to help the club qualify for the big table again which will immediately pay off for the club reaching the group stages.

It would be preferable if the youth squad unearthed a real gem who knows how to bang in the goals at any level, I can dream can't I? :lol:

2 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

It would be preferable if the youth squad unearthed a real gem who knows how to bang in the goals at any level, I can dream can't I? :lol:

Maybe Brendan can pull a Football Manager 2017 move and buy Matthew Knox from Livingston!  I bought Knox for 88,000 pounds in 2016 and by 2022 he had scored 117 goals in 169 appearances, including 43 in the 2021-22 season.

In terms of current academy products, Aitchison has scored 1 goal per 36 minutes of first team football play, that's a pretty good ration (yes I am aware he has only played 36 minutes of first team football in his career)

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Maybe Brendan can pull a Football Manager 2017 move and buy Matthew Knox from Livingston!  I bought Knox for 88,000 pounds in 2016 and by 2022 he had scored 117 goals in 169 appearances, including 43 in the 2021-22 season.

In terms of current academy products, Aitchison has scored 1 goal per 36 minutes of first team football play, that's a pretty good ration (yes I am aware he has only played 36 minutes of first team football in his career)

:lol: One of the best football manager sims LMA manager 2007 I bought Mark Ferry from Queens Park for less than £20,000 and made him into a £20 million pound player which I then sold to another club for £30 million.

Maybe Brenda will give the lad a run out for the last couple of games like most managers do to blood the youngsters once the league has been won.

league title, another domestic trophy and in Europe after xmas would be a decent aim.

This is where I'm at.

The League, The Scottish and a decent showing in Europe. Even finishing third in our CL group would be good, if it's as tough a group as this season, as I reckon we could get a wee run going in the Europa League.

19 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

This is where I'm at.

The League, The Scottish and a decent showing in Europe. Even finishing third in our CL group would be good, if it's as tough a group as this season, as I reckon we could get a wee run going in the Europa League.

I would maybe be willing to sacrifice a 6 league points for 6 extra European points lol!  In all seriousness I think that Celtic's squad will be much better prepared for the qualifiers and group stages.  This year Brendan was still figuring his squad out, particularly in defense where we say the likes of Efe Ambrose, Saidy Janko and Eoghan O'Connell get games in the qualifies with mixed results.  As long as a strong back 4 is healthy we should be fine

Archived