Club registration rules

Yfs1

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 13:23, Bestsinceslicebread said:

A child can be let go at any stage for any reason as the coaches are usually in charge of the team but to be honest, it shouldn't really happen if there is no problem with the child turning up to training and a great attitude at an early age and willingness to learn.
I will say that once it gets serious standard, when the teams goes to from 7 to 11s then playing in a league and going for trophies, then the coaches may decide differently as they may want, (in their view), better players..

My own view is that every child will reach a certain level. by that I mean they will eventually reach that level when they are older, i.e. amateur, Junior, senior, full professional.
A coach of a team really has a duty to help improve the child in training, game time, technique, attitude, ability, understanding etc...
The coach has to remember its not about their baby, (the team), its about the child/youth improvement but parents need to remember a coach maybe a father or a player who has retired and now coaching from his own experience but child management, parent management is hard and takes a lot of time and importantly, understanding.

Its bad that the Syfa had to step in, the coaches should know the kid needs just as much playing time as all the others.
I've seen it happen, first hand and its not nice.   The best thing is for the child to move on and find a team more suited to his style.

I wouldn't name and shame his team on here as it will have a detrimental effect for the whole team and all the boys. Its not nice and it just maybe the coaches view, that's all and nothing wrong with his views, they are his views after all. As long as the coaches helps to improve the child then its a good start of the child's footballing journey, if the coach stifles the child in any way, training, not enough game time etc..   then the child should move on.

I wish your child all the best

P.S. does anyone know what is the official line on the age that the child/youth should have the same amount of game time as the rest.
There must be a cut off point, say u12's / 13's etc.. ?

Just Been told by the SYFA that the official ruling of boys and girls play to get the same game time is in soccer sevens only, after that its really who you think gets the nod

Yeah I agree that when is competitive the rams need to be fielding the players they think will do a job,at 7s to cut players the year before they get to 11s when they actually need more players anyway is ridiculous.
Some staff want to be more successful than the kids who are just trying to enjoy. The gam

4 hours ago, Yfs1 said:

Yeah I agree that when is competitive the rams need to be fielding the players they think will do a job,at 7s to cut players the year before they get to 11s when they actually need more players anyway is ridiculous.
Some staff want to be more successful than the kids who are just trying to enjoy. The gam

The problem for a minority of coaches at boys level is a lot of them think it is their baby cause they started the team but the reason they should be in it is two main reasons, the youths safety and the youth development.  IN all the age ranges from 7s then to 11s and then through all the years all kids develop differently and some who don't start of that well, (not just strength but thought process) will catch up in under 13's, 14 17 even 21 etc..  It happens all the time, year after year

The problem for a minority of coaches at boys level is a lot of them think it is their baby cause they started the team but the reason they should be in it is two main reasons, the youths safety and the youth development.  IN all the age ranges from 7s then to 11s and then through all the years all kids develop differently and some who don't start of that well, (not just strength but thought process) will catch up in under 13's, 14 17 even 21 etc..  It happens all the time, year after year

Yeah I agree with this kids come on at different ages and different levels I've seen it for years!

You have to remember the other factor. Some of the kids at this age are remarkably competitive and want to be winning.
Some kids ARE only there to have a kickabout with their pals.
Within grassroots football, there are many levels and a level suitable for all kids to play at.

You have to remember the other factor. Some of the kids at this age are remarkably competitive and want to be winning.
Within grassroots football, there are many levels and a level suitable for all kids to play at.

Yeah some kids are only at kick about stages where winning or losing don't matter but that's the rules and guidelines syfa have set out it's not about winning its enjoyment and developing,if a kids not good enough he should be told after his trial period or at his next registration date,for instance you can't keep a 6 year old kid on for five years at development football,register him every year and let him play every week then as soon as new coaches come in they cut his game time and then drop him from the squad before they've even reached 11s ,all within the space of one season!
The only reason he was dropped was because we queried his game time with the syfa,there was no mention of cutting the squad before that.
I've got a bit of sympathy for the coaches as they're volunteers but the ones in charge of running the club also made the decision and they should've known better or they shouldn't be in charge of kids,they affected a wee boys life both at and away from football and that's not acceptable in this day and age to be honest,you can't exclude and hurt young kids to boost your own ego of being in the "top" league. They are only kids at the end of the day and they should be treated like kids.

3 hours ago, Yfs1 said:

10 hours ago, The Lad said:

3 hours ago, Yfs1 said:

Yeah some kids are only at kick about stages where winning or losing don't matter but that's the rules and guidelines syfa have set out it's not about winning its enjoyment and developing,if a kids not good enough he should be told after his trial period or at his next registration date,for instance you can't keep a 6 year old kid on for five years at development football,register him every year and let him play every week then as soon as new coaches come in they cut his game time and then drop him from the squad before they've even reached 11s ,all within the space of one season!
The only reason he was dropped was because we queried his game time with the syfa,there was no mention of cutting the squad before that.
I've got a bit of sympathy for the coaches as they're volunteers but the ones in charge of running the club also made the decision and they should've known better or they shouldn't be in charge of kids,they affected a wee boys life both at and away from football and that's not acceptable in this day and age to be honest,you can't exclude and hurt young kids to boost your own ego of being in the "top" league. They are only kids at the end of the day and they should be treated like kids.

I can understand why the lad says this but all in all Yfs is totally right in this matter and the rules and regulations by the SYFA are totally right.  In 7s there are a lot of players who are late developers and they should not miss out on game time experience and they should get the same level of experience in training.

I am a parent with my son in a 99 team who were classed at the 3rd team out of the three 99s teams under the same blanket. Eventually when we got to under 15s we ended up being the strongest and technically better team in the same main team blanket.  The third team started by two parents because at the games and training sessions there was about 5 boys who were left out and didn't get into any of the other teams, so the parents got fed up. (I have to say this left the relationships between each team strained). They trained and worked on the boys and as in natural life boys came and went.  Some of those boys who were rejected and now at a high standard in boys football.

So coaches really need to give youth the same game times and same training as the rest, its your duty to improve them as every youth will eventually change and become, eventually better standard but they need us, the older generation with experience to help them on their way, not stifle the ones who are slower.  They will all reach a level that is right for them but lets try and get them all to the top of that level.

God, can you imagine a teacher in a school class, telling 3 or 4 kids, just sit in the background and do some doodles because your not good enough yet to learn these lessons.

God, can you imagine a teacher in a school class, telling 3 or 4 kids, just sit in the background and do some doodles because your not good enough yet to learn these lessons.

This is exactly what the SYFA should be asking every coach at 7s who only want to focus on winning.

I can understand why the lad says this but all in all Yfs is totally right in this matter and the rules and regulations by the SYFA are totally right.  In 7s there are a lot of players who are late developers and they should not miss out on game time experience and they should get the same level of experience in training.

I am a parent with my son in a 99 team who were classed at the 3rd team out of the three 99s teams under the same blanket. Eventually when we got to under 15s we ended up being the strongest and technically better team in the same main team blanket.  The third team started by two parents because at the games and training sessions there was about 5 boys who were left out and didn't get into any of the other teams, so the parents got fed up. (I have to say this left the relationships between each team strained). They trained and worked on the boys and as in natural life boys came and went.  Some of those boys who were rejected and now at a high standard in boys football.
So coaches really need to give youth the same game times and same training as the rest, its your duty to improve them as every youth will eventually change and become, eventually better standard but they need us, the older generation with experience to help them on their way, not stifle the ones who are slower.  They will all reach a level that is right for them but lets try and get them all to the top of that level.

Is it possible that these kids were able to progress better as a group, as they were playing with kids of a similar level, at that time?

Is it possible that these kids were able to progress better as a group, as they were playing with kids of a similar level, at that time?

Not really as he's played with these boys for 5 years with no worries,he's now moved to a team who actually play in the same league at the same level ,but my point is his game time was cut dramatically he only played 5 out of 15 when others played nearly all the games,we raised the concern that he was getting really upset at home because of this and yet they ignored our concerns,I then spoke to syfa who informed us of rule 54,this got back to the club which promoted them to have a club meeting and basically drop him from the team a couple of weeks later.
The upset this caused the kid was unbelievable

2 hours ago, TheLad said:

The Lad,Of course you maybe right but at that age its about learning and developing, not stifling the slow because they not reached a certain level yet.
Any coach who does this picking the best, especially at soccer 7s, shouldn't be a coach and should really have his badge revoked or have the coach resit his 'level 1' again and learn to understand the reasons why, (my own view).  

To be honest, if the same club have a few teams at the same age bracket then this would be good, say a 1st team and a second team.  I dealt with Rossvale 99s and there were 3 teams. A first team, a second team and then our team which was regarded as the 3rd team, we eventually officially became the 1st team, at Under 15s, finishing double the points different of the top Rossvale team and some of the boys in the 3rd team who weren't as good then when at soccer 7s are now playing at a high level in the Under 19s in the First division of the paisley league and playing in the top division of the Cumbernauld league.

One final note, I guarantee there would be a few boys left behind at the start if the team went by that route but say in about 3 or 4 years later some WILL end up far superior than the ones who were picked before them and id prob guess that the slower kids will remember those coaches and their parents would remember and not want anything to do with the coaches in the future.  Boys football is nothing in regards to trophies, (well it will be once the youths are in their mid twenties at either senior, a part time or junior level, and they think back and say "so glad I learned from a coach who wanted to help me develop and learn as I progressed").  All in all it should be about development and learning good practices and working on their flaws and bettering what they are good at.

6 minutes ago, Yfs1 said:

Not really as he's played with these boys for 5 years with no worries,he's now moved to a team who actually play in the same league at the same level ,but my point is his game time was cut dramatically he only played 5 out of 15 when others played nearly all the games,we raised the concern that he was getting really upset at home because of this and yet they ignored our concerns,I then spoke to syfa who informed us of rule 54,this got back to the club which promoted them to have a club meeting and basically drop him from the team a couple of weeks later.
The upset this caused the kid was unbelievable

Hey Yfs1,

I think The Lad is taking about general situation but the situation with your own child shows how wrong coaching can be, picking others children ahead of yours just cause the coach thinks the others are superior.

My son is the captain of his new team now and at the team there are 18 quality players but every one is at a different level from each other and I know 3 of them were in lower previous teams cause they weren't picked and now they are doing very well, infact I expect a couple of them to go to the junior level if not this year then defiantly the next the way they are developing.

Archived