2017/18 League Cup

craigkillie

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally prefer to avoid Partick Thistle given we had them last year. Not particularly bothered which seed from Motherwell, Killie or Accies we get, though Accies are likely to have a lower crowd than the other two given we'll be away.

As for the bottom three. Ideally avoid, Stenny, Airdrie and Queens Park because we had them last year. Stenny especially as we've got them in a pre season game which would no doubt be cancelled if we get them in the cup. Probably rather avoid Annan for the same pre season friendly reasons though it would probably give a decent gate actually in a competitive game. And ideally also avoid Livi and Ayr who I think will be dangerous. Which leaves three from Stranraer, Albion Rovers, Berwick, Edinburgh City, Clyde or East Kilbride please!

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Inverness

Falkirk

Raith

Alloa

Stirling

Would be horrific

Aye. Would love Hearts, Arbroath, Buckie and Peterhead for a guarantee of a couple of good away days at least.

Berwick-wise: getting Edinburgh City and Livingston would be appealing in terms of reasonably close away trips and something approaching derbies. Little appeal in any of the seeds but I suppose Motherwell (A) would make most ££? Expect Edinburgh+Dundee clubs to dominate TV picks.

Peterhead were the only 'small' club to get out of a group last year, IIRC, and theirs was the only case where the bonus point shoot-out actually made any difference (as without them Dundee would have won the section and qualified and East Fife would have been eliminated - Peterhead would still have progressed as one of the runners-up)... Given it's so hard to progress and the crowds are fairly poor I'd be OK for us to use it as pre-season, tbh.

So taking all of that into account the ideal draw would be Motherwell (A), Dumbarton (H), Livingston (H), Edinburgh City (A)... worst something like Hamilton, QotS, Ayr and Stranraer.

As mentioned above the system works by dividing clubs into seeds then halving each into 2 regions.

Had it been done the other way around the pots would probably have looked like:

North First Seeds: Ross County, Dundee, Inverness, Falkirk
North Second Seeds: Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Raith, Alloa
North Unseeded: Brechin, East Fife, Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Arbroath, Forfar, Montrose, Elgin, Stirling, Cowdenbeath, Buckie

South First Seeds: Hearts, Partick, Kilmarnock, Motherwell
South Second Seeds: Hamilton, Hibs, Morton, QotS
South Unseeded: St Mirren, Dumbarton, Ayr, Livingston, Airdrie, Queen's Park, Stranraer, Albion Rovers, Annan, Edinburgh City, Berwick, Clyde, EK

50 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Just give Cowden a game up near Aberdeen please.  Buckie ideally.

We're guaranteed to get Hearts, Dunfermline, Raith and Alloa to give us 4 humpings.

Hearts, Hibs, Raith, East Fife or Alloa would do me. Maximise revenue and not much travelling!

I missed the Partick game last season so would love a chance to see Scottish football icon Kingsley in the flesh. Ideally i'd like Motherwell (Not played in a while, newish squad) or Hamilton (Weakest side on paper, usually bad in the cups). Of the miscellaneous diddy teams in the unseeded section, Albion Rovers, Annan, Stranraer or Edinburgh City would be just super. 

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Not really interested in any of those games at home. Only Hearts would bring a semi-decent crowd. The rest would struggle to round up a couple hundred.

Few potentially tasty away trips though. Hearts, County, Buckie, Rovers, Elgin, Arbroath would all do me fine.

Hearts are playing all their games away aren't they? Until their new stand is finished. 

Unless you're just naming a group and want Hearts and Raith at home? Which it looks like you are now. Carry on.

Partick (a)

Berwick (a)

East Kilbride (h)

Edinburgh City (h)

Not too bothered about the seeded opponent tbh, but we better get a good away day from the other fixture. 

Dumbarton (H)

Airdrie (H)

East Kilbride (A)

Annan (A)

That'd probably be my ideal group, Airdrie for a wee derby, away to east Kilbride to tick off another ground, and away to Annan, purely because I had a nice time last time, even though they gubbed us 4-1.

Archived