SPFA Premiership Player of the Year

Imagine the four nominations for this are imminent after the ones for the lower leagues were announced yesterday. Will Celtic take a clean sweep or can others muscle their way in?

Sinclair and Dembele are certainties and it wouldn't be a shock if Brown and Armstrong completed the list. Other candidates? Jonny Hayes maybe the most likely pick from Aberdeen and most likely player to gatecrash the list? Inconceivable that Kenny Miller could be on there?

Who do you think will make the list, who will win the award and who would be on your own list?

Sinclair has to get it. Far and away the best player in the league. I think Armstrong, Dembele and Hayes will complete the list.
Young player is slightly more interesting. Kieran Tierney and Liam Lindsay are the stand-out candidates. They'll probably chuck Barrie McKay on there to at least give Sevco someone to have on the awards. I've probably missed a glaring candidate though.

It's 21 or younger when the season starts for Young Player of the Year and it covers all four divisions.

Tierney and Dembele you'd bank on being in there and one of them will win it but bit more competitive than the senior award after those two.

Player of the year should be Sinclair, with Armstrong making his push just a little late in the season. Young player must be, and will be, Tierney. Outrageous if players from other clubs have voted for any Rangers players, apart from Barton, Senderos or the other guy who has played about 5 minutes of the season.

It's 21 or younger when the season starts for Young Player of the Year and it covers all four divisions.
Tierney and Dembele you'd bank on being in there and one of them will win it but bit more competitive than the senior award after those two.

I was following the English's rules of 23 or under. Thanks for clearing it up. Completely forgot about Dembele - absolutely no doubt he'll win it.

Hmmmm, s'pose you have Clint Hill who's been a rock at the back and a goal machine this season. Kenny has carried us this season and Wes has pulled off some crackers of saves.

I'm guessing thst we have to have a token one of them, so you can add that Seth Armstrong guy or  Tierney.

Kenny for me.

Sinclair probably deserves it over the course of the season, but Armstrong is best placed to benefit from any recency bias. He has been excellent since around November, despite not making a sparkling start to the season. He has also been heavily praised and discussed aplenty in the media lately, particularly following his Scotland debut. Those factors might combine just to push him over the line. 

If any non-Celtic player is nominated, I reckon it will probably be Hayes. Having said that, from an Aberdeen perspective, I would argue that Shinnie, Lewis and McLean have all had ever so slightly better seasons. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39766444

POTY nominations are fair enough and as expected but Roberts and Cummings being shortlisted for YPOTY is a bit of a shock.

Don't get me wrong Roberts is a cracking wee player, but he's not been first choice for the majority of the season. And Cummings has been piss poor any time I've seen him play, which has been mainly in the second tier. Clearly a bit of favoritism here on my part but very surprised that Liam Lindsay isn't on that list. 

Archived