The Cowal Peninsula

JamieT1314

Heading over to the Cowal Peninsula for a week tomorrow and looking for a bit of advice as don't really know the area.

Planning on doing a bit of fishing on Loch Eck, wander round Benmore Botanic Gardens and Puck Glen, no doubt head into Dunoon for the day, go to the Drovers for a bevvy.

Is there anything else over that neck of the woods that is worth doing? Good walks, boat trips, nice restaurants etc?

Take a drive up through Glendaruel, a wee stop in Tighnabruaich and over to Portavadie, it's a beautiful drive...........you could even hop on to the Tarbert ferry (as a foot passenger)for a spot of lunch on the other side.

1 hour ago, JamieT1314 said:

nice one, the oyster catcher sounds like it could be a shout.

Any nice beaches round that way?

Beach walk at the Oystercatcher,

Another short walk is to the ruins of Castle Lachlan right on the shore of loch Fyne at Strathlachan about half way between Strachur and Otter Ferry.

This is the castle from one of the a couple of car parks and a nice wee walk and the castle has information boards and stuff about it, and intersting graveyard further up.

Castle.jpg

There is a wee brewery at the head of Loch Fyne and they do nice steak pies as well as the beer. Tree Shop and Oyster Bar are there too if you fancy that. If you go on around the loch there are a number of things in Inveraray. George Hotel is good for food and there is a good walk up Dun na Cuaiche where there is a wee tower at the top and great views all around. 

There is a sandy beach at Otter Ferry (and on Loch Eck). I like the Whistlefield Inn on Loch Eck, although I haven't been for a few years now.

Take in a shinty match ;).

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Take in a shinty match ;).

A couple of years ago I was watching one of the finals on BBC Alba and they showed the Kyles goalie (now retired) having a fag before the beginning of extra time. I wonder if I'll ever see a sportsman do that on TV again.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

A couple of years ago I was watching one of the finals on BBC Alba and they showed the Kyles goalie (now retired) having a fag before the beginning of extra time. I wonder if I'll ever see a sportsman do that on TV again.

He was the kind of legend who could get away with such behaviour! Won Camanachd Cup medals over almost 30 years (1983 - 2012). His sons are in the current Kyles team.

There is a wee brewery at the head of Loch Fyne and they do nice steak pies as well as the beer. Tree Shop and Oyster Bar are there too if you fancy that. If you go on around the loch there are a number of things in Inveraray. George Hotel is good for food and there is a good walk up Dun na Cuaiche where there is a wee tower at the top and great views all around. 
There is a sandy beach at Otter Ferry (and on Loch Eck). I like the Whistlefield Inn on Loch Eck, although I haven't been for a few years now.
Take in a shinty match [emoji6].

We are staying at the whistefield lodges so will Def pop into the inn for a few. Inveraray is a good shout, cheers for the advice.

There's a good beach on the coastal road from Tighnabrauich to Portavadie from memory.

It's been a while since I was in that area but Tighnabrauich is a nice village and Portavadie is worth a visit, especially on a nice day. Taking the ferry to Tarbert is also a good shout.

I've just been in the area today for shinty! Bloody hell I love this part of the world.

Yes to the Oystercatcher. Had lunch there today - mussels were braw. Good beers on tap. Loch Fyne Ales, West etc. Good coffee too.

Just up the coast towards Strachur is Inver which is also fairly good. Maybe a bit more "foodie" than pub grub.

Botanica in Tighnabruaich looked very good, have marked it for next time I'm down. Seafood heavy menu.

There's also Creggans in Strachur but it would be below those I've mentioned above.

The drive from Rest and be Thankful down to Tighnabruiach via Otter Ferry is one of the finest drives we have. A GWR as Iain Banks would have said.

Or if you don't take the scenic route via Otter Ferry, consolation is you'll come to this viewpoint just before town.

2907ff8de3e6f0adcbaa84e18fef6d3d.jpg

And this is the view from town centre:

f284d6b6b6aeb252678d912f9a03e662.jpg

Bloody love this place. Planning to go back for a few days at some point to take in Bute as well, which is unknown to me so far.

Got forced to the Botanic Gardens last year as it was pishing down and couldnt get up hills - thought it would be a pishy one like Dundee and be in and out in an hour. Genuinely fantastic - i think we were there over 4hours and the views from the pagoda thing at the top of the hill were amazing.

Puck Glen was also very pleasant, also the road from Ormidale from Otter Ferry is the only "proper" road I have ever driven on which had grass growing on it.

Also done pucks glen, all the way to the top of the upper glen then out via the black gates route. Great wee walk.
Went for dinner at the creggans inn, Cullen skink was magic, steak pie bang average. It's in a lovely spot to sit out the front and have a beer.

Overall, an absolutely cracking week away, perfect mix of walking, chilling and drinking. Up there with my best holidays ever.

Archived