Darren Young leaving Rovers at end of season

Feel free to correct me here but I don't think Paul Sheerin was sacked - I'm sure he was still in charge of Arbroath after their relegation but left to take up a post with Aberdeen's youth team, rather than being fired.

No Sheerin was not sacked. He had 3 very successful seasons but in his 4th he left us with a team full of slow football playing midgets who got run over the top of every single week. He would've most definitely been kept on by Arbroath, nobody wanted him sacked. But he got a very stable FT role as a coach and under 20 manager at Aberdeen.

He still managed to leave us 2 good gifts. Signed Murray and Whatley on the day he left, made 50k off Murray and Whatley is still our captain to this day.

What a man.

IMG_1493380150.698975.jpg

9362203.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Feel free to correct me here but I don't think Paul Sheerin was sacked - I'm sure he was still in charge of Arbroath after their relegation but left to take up a post with Aberdeen's youth team, rather than being fired.

I stand corrected, thank you kind sir.

3 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

The timing of this announcement will encourage Peterhead for the last two games.

Have no problem with the timing it's the worst kept secret in Scottish Football. 

Remember John McVeigh's nameplate being taken down at 4:50pm on the last game of the season 2001

Newspaper report is wrong (well it is the Record) - DY was offered a new contract in line with what the club can afford going forward. That he chose not to accept is of course his right and this was confirmed in writing by the club. He wasn`t `axed`!

Pretty bold claim that Young is Rovers' most successful manager ever. They won the old 2nd division in 89 which at that time meant they finished 25th in the full league structure - finishing 13th the following season meant they ended up 23rd (albeit that meant relegation). The best Young managed was last season's 28th in the overall structure.

10 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Must be a pretty good chance he'll become manager of whoever is bottom of the championship in October.

Dunfermline??

I'd been thinking for a while that Allan Johnston might get a better offer in the Summer and Young would go to the Pars, but in this day and age it's just as feasible he'll stay, get off to a bad start, all his good work will be forgotten and he'll be panic-sacked.

7 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

Why is that, we may have a few players on bigger wages than any Albion players but rest of squad made up of kids on peanuts 

Rovers by their own accounts had a playing budget more than most.

someone may correct me but sure they've had 4 televised cup ties v Old Firm but haven't improved ground bar a small terrace behind goals. They've said in newspaper interviews the Celtic game saved the club, so where has money went if not on players. 

Is it not now the case that all the money from t v games are pooled then divided up at the end of the season ? 

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Pretty bold claim that Young is Rovers' most successful manager ever. They won the old 2nd division in 89 which at that time meant they finished 25th in the full league structure - finishing 13th the following season meant they ended up 23rd (albeit that meant relegation). The best Young managed was last season's 28th in the overall structure.

Fair point the old 2nd div was way harder to win in those days. Would also add Paul Martin got Rovers promoted in 2010 via the play offs with half the budget Darren had. That said I wish him well and his achievements should not be forgotten 

11 hours ago, sam2304 said:

Agree with this.

I think it's came to a natural end.

Darren will get a shot at a higher level before too long and as you say it will be interesting to see how it works out for him

That's pretty much how we felt when Ian Murray left us. His final season with us was pretty dire but we were safe from relegation with six game to go. We wished him well but unfortunately for him it didn't work out at St Mirren. That being said, I'd happily have DY at the Rock if Stevie Aitken gets a full time job. Just the way it is for part time clubs!

Ayr United fans unhappy with McCall at the minute.
Wouldn't be a bad gig if Young could put up with the fans.
A job in a league he'll know well with a team who are likely to have the biggest budget and ambitions of winning the league.
Thankless task being Ayr manager though. Takes a lot to keep the natives happy. S

A job in a league he'll know well with a team who are likely to have the biggest budget and ambitions of winning the league.
Thankless task being Ayr manager though. Takes a lot to keep the natives happy. S

Doubt McCall will be going anywhere.

23 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Aye, were a bunch of roasters. 

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Aye, were a bunch of roasters. 

And you still are. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Young is the next Rovers manager if/when we get relegated. Seemingly he was in the frame before Hughes got the job. 

May have answered yourself there. Pay off debts, keep the club afloat and improve the infrastructure. 

Improving the infrastructure was buying terracing from the old dilapidated Bellshill juniors ground. Not exactly pushing the boat out there.

Archived