Darren Young leaving Rovers at end of season

7 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

As an Airdrie fan I disagree. 

Despite what Airdrie fans may think he's actually had a bigger budget than us at Albion and never finished above us. 

Not convinced by him nor his style of play.

I'd take Billy Stark though and would throw 2 for the price of one into the deal by driving Dalziel and Wilson to Coatbridge in return. 

Yoda, I'm not sure at all where that comes from.  

Rovers certainly aren't paying £600/week to guys like Russell, Fitz, Conroy and Hugo...

Maybe that budget thing takes into consideration things like the Rovers staff who are actually paid through their books and not some dodgy "consultancy" arrangements like Woleki and McBride were on?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Rovers certainly aren't paying £600/week to guys like Russell, Fitz, Conroy and Hugo...

Maybe that budget thing takes into consideration things like the Rovers staff who are actually paid through their books and not some dodgy "consultancy" arrangements like Woleki and McBride were on?

Their accounts DBM 

Someone posted actual figures taken from accounts. Think it was around £230,000 year won league 2 & £180,000 last season.

Not sure how much this season but sure someone can tell us

1 hour ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Are Airdrie? :lol: If so, they're paying Russell, Fitzpatrick, Conroy and Faria more than those players were earning at Championship clubs.

As for Young, it's not a surprise to see him moving on but it would be surprising to see him go without a job lined up. You'd think he's had discussions with a full-time club whose manager could be moving on at the end of season - Airdrie, Raith - and Albion Rovers understandably aren't willing to wait to the end of the season to announce that he's going, but obviously in that scenario the club he's going to can't announce Young yet when they still have managers in place and something to play for.

Alternatively he doesn't have anything lined up but fancies his chances of getting a bigger job from being out of work, without the risk of damage to his reputation through a relegation taking him from being linked with full-time jobs to being sacked in the space of a season á la Paul Sheerin.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How did I not think of that.

Also there's no fucking way Rovers had a bigger PLAYING budget than Airdrie. Not a chance.

Why is that, we may have a few players on bigger wages than any Albion players but rest of squad made up of kids on peanuts 

Rovers by their own accounts had a playing budget more than most.

someone may correct me but sure they've had 4 televised cup ties v Old Firm but haven't improved ground bar a small terrace behind goals. They've said in newspaper interviews the Celtic game saved the club, so where has money went if not on players. 

Just now, Yoda8 said:

Why is that, we may have a few players on bigger wages than any Albion players but rest of squad made up of kids on peanuts 

Rovers by their own accounts had a playing budget more than most.

someone may correct me but sure they've had 4 televised cup ties v Old Firm but haven't improved ground bar a small terrace behind goals. They've said in newspaper interviews the Celtic game saved the club, so where has money went if not on players. 

May have answered yourself there. Pay off debts, keep the club afloat and improve the infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, Yoda8 said:

Their accounts DBM 

Someone posted actual figures taken from accounts. Think it was around £230,000 year won league 2 & £180,000 last season.

Not sure how much this season but sure someone can tell us

Not a chance Albion are paying more for their playing staff than Airdrie, not a chance! Even if all of that money is for playing staff and say they had a squad of 20 then that only comes to an average of around £220 per week per player. I can assure you Airdrie are paying on average far more than that.

Personally I wouldn't mind him being the manager at Airdrie, certainly can't be worse than what we already have and would save us from another scatter gun appointment of whoever is whispering sweet nothings to our chairman this time around

16 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

May have answered yourself there. Pay off debts, keep the club afloat and improve the infrastructure. 

Debts due to player wages 

as a sons fan I take it you've not been to it, that's not been where the money has went. 

17 minutes ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Not a chance Albion are paying more for their playing staff than Airdrie, not a chance! Even if all of that money is for playing staff and say they had a squad of 20 then that only comes to an average of around £220 per week per player. I can assure you Airdrie are paying on average far more than that.

Personally I wouldn't mind him being the manager at Airdrie, certainly can't be worse than what we already have and would save us from another scatter gun appointment of whoever is whispering sweet nothings to our chairman this time around

So what are we paying on average?

many of our players are on minimum wage or less. 

Dont be fooled , Airdrie are not big payers. 

2 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

Debts due to player wages 

as a sons fan I take it you've not been to it, that's not been where the money has went. 

Perhaps, but given their attendance can dip as low as 300 odd that doesn't exactly say that they are spending a fortune. I'd certainly be shocked if they were spending as much on players as 'full-time' Airdrie.

I have been to Cliftonhill since the new terracing went in. Not as a Sons fan, but as a neutral. It's hardly the new Wembley behind the goal, but it will have cost a reasonable amount of money for a small Scottish club.

Just now, Bold Rover said:

The timing of this announcement will encourage Peterhead for the last two games.

This was the strangest part of this announcement. You were still in relegation and play off battle. 

Why announce now? 

Young (in a part-time job) might have been on a bigger salary than the Airdrie manager but there's no way he had a bigger player budget.

Fans of his next club: be warned that he’s not yet the complete package and it might prove to have been a bad business decision for us to employ him, but judging him on his work, he has been so impressive in his first job - his team have made Rovers history and he leaves Cliftonhill as a hero.

His strengths are undoubtedly in organisation (Albion Rovers have never looked more professional than under his regime); motivation and man-management. He could be accused of having his “favourites” but he knows what he likes and how to use them.

He may be softly-spoken but he won’t take any shit - even if that means getting rid of long-serving players and fan favourites. I don’t think he’s a disciplinarian but he’ll want to do things his way, and if he’s given the means to do that, as he was at Albion Rovers, I’d expect him to do very well in his next job.

39.jpg

Albino - Anyone who wins a league title at a lower league club deserves to be a hero at the club. 

However as all Airdrie fans know it's more important for you to have a club than a hero. If the club couldn't afford to keep him and money had to be cut then maybe best all round.

I will be intrigued to see how his next job goes. 

Albino - Anyone who wins a league title at a lower league club deserves to be a hero at the club. 
However as all Airdrie fans know it's more important for you to have a club than a hero. If the club couldn't afford to keep him and money had to be cut then maybe best all round.
I will be intrigued to see how his next job goes. 

Agree with this.

I think it's came to a natural end.

Darren will get a shot at a higher level before too long and as you say it will be interesting to see how it works out for him

I've said this previously, Darren Young would be my choice for next Airdrie manager.

He has done a good job at Rovers over the past three seasons and has managed to match us in the previous two seasons with much less resource.

Won't happen though. We'll be left with Wilson & Dalziel.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Alternatively he doesn't have anything lined up but fancies his chances of getting a bigger job from being out of work, without the risk of damage to his reputation through a relegation taking him from being linked with full-time jobs to being sacked in the space of a season á la Paul Sheerin.

Feel free to correct me here but I don't think Paul Sheerin was sacked - I'm sure he was still in charge of Arbroath after their relegation but left to take up a post with Aberdeen's youth team, rather than being fired.

Archived