Scottish Championship Player of the Year Nominations

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I'd have to say Dobbie deserves it. He has carried that Queens team this season and, no disrespect intended here, I'd imagine they would be battling relegation playoffs if it wasn't for him. 

If they hadn't spunked their budget on Dobbie then they could have built a competent side though; that 'burden' was priced into Queen of the South's summer transfer policy. Given that they entertained hopes of a play-off finish that they were out of the running for by February, it has been a failure of a transfer and a failure of a season. Not really among the best season performances that The Championship can offer then.  

Guest Back Post Misses

Bearing in mind the players vote for this I would probably think Dobbie will and should win.

He has been the standout for me.

Of the other three Cummings is the best of the rest.

We can only judge on what we have seen but others who have impressed me this season are

Martin @ Dumbarton

Sibbald @ Falkirk

McGregor @ Hibs

Kilday and O'Ware @ Morton would both be in front of Forbes

Devlin @ Ayr

1 hour ago, virginton said:

If they hadn't spunked their budget on Dobbie then they could have built a competent side though; that 'burden' was priced into Queen of the South's summer transfer policy. Given that they entertained hopes of a play-off finish that they were out of the running for by February, it has been a failure of a transfer and a failure of a season. Not really among the best season performances that The Championship can offer then.  

You can't really blame Dobbie for that though, he's still been one of the best players in the league over the season. I'd go for Cummings and probably O'Ware can feel hard done by.

No Falkirk players on the list is spot on, a squad of interchangeable players with Sibbald being a bit ahead of the rest.

Nobody should win it as the overall standard has been absolutely pish all season and I think the players nominated show this.

From those mentioned I suppose it should be Dobbie or Forbes or Cummings. Defo not McGinn.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

I think you are (deliberately) missing the point of the POTY nominations. How Dobbie came to be at QOS, or if his signing was a good or bad bit of business is irrelevant. The nomination is for how other fellow players think he has performed and obviously they think he is a credible choice. The fact that he is, at the moment, joint leading goalscorer in the Championship along with a player playing for the League winners, and biggest club, shows that he is a quality player.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think you are (deliberately) missing the point of the POTY nominations. How Dobbie came to be at QOS, or if his signing was a good or bad bit of business is irrelevant. The nomination is for how other fellow players think he has performed and obviously they think he is a credible choice. The fact that he is, at the moment, joint leading goalscorer in the Championship along with a player playing for the League winners, and biggest club, shows that he is a quality player.

Well no, it is relevant. Had you actually read the thread for comprehension before bursting into tears, you'd have noted the claim that I responding to was that Dobbie deserved it because he "has carried that team" - i. e. that the performance of Queen of the South is relevant to his merit. Which it is of course.

I pointed out the fact however that the only reason why Queen of the South side needed carried this season is because they spunked their budget in order to sign him. So the club expected to rely on Dobbie for their goals and, given their utterly mediocre campaign, it has been a gamble that has failed for all parties involved  So really not credible POTY material then. 

Thanks for playing anyway.

58c07fa5ad6dc_ainsleycake.jpg.48658fc00c72ea51bead79450b2642bb.jpg

Sir Stephen Dobbie is the obvious choice. Best to give it to a one season wonder like Forbes it will definitely be his career highlight and would keep Vt happy. 

Glad us spunking our budget on Dobbs got him so upset, what a poor soul. 

Dobbie is obviously a decent shout.  He's scored lots of goals for a poor team.

The logic or otherwise of his signing (and VT is not big on logic here) is immaterial to how well he's performed as an individual.  He's actually been pretty disappointing at times, but his contribution has still been huge.

Forbes probably also deserves consideration because he's also made a huge difference.

Archived