Unusual Candidates In Your Area

This could be a mistake and if not I assume it's an independent running under a certain banner but apparently for the Aberdeenshire Council, a candidate running in Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside is named Anne Reid and she's running on a 'No Reid' ticket.  Eh?!

I've seen a few candidates running being referred to as 'No Label' but I assume they're essentially independents who just haven't declared themselves as such and are essentially unaligned (ie - independents under another name).  But 'No Reid'?!  What the heck is that?

Edited by Highland Capital

17 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

This could be a mistake and if not I assume it's an independent running under a certain banner but apparently for the Aberdeenshire Council, a candidate running in Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside is named Anne Reid and she's running on a 'No Reid' ticket.  Eh?!

I've seen a few candidates running being referred to as 'No Label' but I assume they're essentially independents who just haven't declared themselves as such and are essentially unaligned (ie - independents under another name).  But 'No Reid'?!  What the heck is that?

Die Ron?

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

A quick search there and it turns out RISE are still a thing....albeit a small thing.  They have a candidate running in Motherwell West.  Also not in my area, but I see in Shettleston there's a Social Democratic Party candidate standing.  

Probably best hope to stand in council elections as they'll pick up a fair few second or third preference votes (assuming they don't get knocked out first round).

In my patch there's an independent standing (https://twitter.com/Room435rules) who tweets about football and The Smiths and – going by hustings this week – has some sound, non-partisan yet progressive views. Restored my faith in independent candidates. Almost tempted to rank him first as I don't think he'll survive to benefit from a third preference.

Evening Express has a brief profile for all the candidates standing in the Aberdeen City council elections.  I've spotted a couple of things already that the candidate in question could have been phrased differently.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-council-elections-candidates/

Edited by NorthernLights

There is an Independent standing in Cumbernauld. He was previously an SNP councillor before getting chucked out for apparently using a homophobic slur against another councillor and has sat as an independent ever since. He occasionally delivers a newsletter which is basically seething rants about the SNP and Labour. His latest edition is a belter.

20170427_162531.jpg

There's a Councillor in Inverness West called Allan Duffy who's standing as a pro Indy Independent. He was in the SNP but was kicked out last year, let back in, then kicked out again. Anyone know why? My googling powers have failed me.

P.S. Found his website, no clearer about why the SNP kicked him out.

https://sites.google.com/site/allanduffysnpgbbo00/home

Edited by welshbairn

58 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's a Councillor in Inverness West called Allan Duffy who's standing as a pro Indy Independent. He was in the SNP but was kicked out last year, let back in, then kicked out again. Anyone know why? My googling powers have failed me.

P.S. Found his website, no clearer about why the SNP kicked him out.

He is (or was) an upcoming contestant on Britain's Got Talent (or the X Factor, I can't remember).

It seems to be mostly in Glasgow but I've seen some candidates running for 'A Better Britain - A Unionist Party' and others simply running for 'The Unionist Party'.  Stupid question probably, but are they the same party?

On 4/26/2017 at 19:24, Highland Capital said:

Not quite but I do see there's someone running under a 'No Referendum' banner for Angus council (I think).

Braden Davy....ex Northumberland separatist - switched to Labour to fight against Salmond in the last election(also voted YES indy 1) - now Tory dickhead who was involved in a hotel expenses scandal with Ross Thomson MSP who he 'works' for....an absolute careerist politician who is all over the shop and cannot give the people of Angus any answers to their questions...usually blocks them all on FB. :)

Other than being an extreme unionist group A Better Britain Unionist Party seems to have completely dropped the mask. Not unusual when candidates have to declare names etc. Seems it's now a front group for Regimental Blues, a far right anti everything group starting with the SNP/Green/Celtic.

A cross between the Rangers casuals and the pick and mix of extreme Scottish Unionism with a touch of BNP and Ukip thrown in for added flavour.

A political version of the Friday night in George Square rioters.

We have an extreme unionist group in our area - it's called the Tory Party.

On 28 April 2017 at 15:57, Highland Capital said:

It seems to be mostly in Glasgow but I've seen some candidates running for 'A Better Britain - A Unionist Party' and others simply running for 'The Unionist Party'.  Stupid question probably, but are they the same party?

Aye

Glasgow Labour have a ex councillor, Gary Gray, they chased and have brought back as a candidate in the Canal ward.

Slightly odd thing or maybe it's not considering the state of Labour, the chap talks to the dead.

Is medium the right word?

Just seen there that a girl I was at uni with is running for Scottish Labour in a certain mid-Scotland seat for the general election.  She certainly is ahem...an unusual candidate.

Edited by Highland Capital

Former deputy leader of SLC - Jackie Burns - will still be on the ballot paper on Thursday as a Labour candidate in Ward 20 (Larkhall) despite being expelled by his party last night.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15255969.Labour_expels_senior_figure_who_licked_his_lips_at_teenage_bus_users/

Guy was also previously done for peeing in public having been involved in decision to close public toilets in Larkhall.

Each candidate can have a maximum of 6 words on the ballot paper beside their name. And they choose them.
When organised you get things like all the Aberdeen Labour candidates have something like

Aberdeen Labour Party Making It Happen

That's why you get different party descriptions sometimes

The Lib Dems are calling themselves the Scottish Liberal Democrat Focus Team up here. I can only think it's to fool people into thinking they're different from the national party and pick up a few votes.

Could you call yourself something like a Conversative and Onionist candidate or would they say it's deliberately mislesding?

There are rules to do with decency and mispresentation or attempting to deliberately confuse.

TBH I can't remember the specifics

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 16:54, ScottR96 said:

There is an Independent standing in Cumbernauld. He was previously an SNP councillor before getting chucked out for apparently using a homophobic slur against another councillor and has sat as an independent ever since. He occasionally delivers a newsletter which is basically seething rants about the SNP and Labour. His latest edition is a belter.

20170427_162531.jpg

That's one way of looking at it. I'd draw your attention to the fact that the sheriff found in his favour...