Famous people who have fallen out with you

Flybhoy

I was out cycling on the Water of Leith when who should come running in the other direction but one of the Proclaimers (no, I don't know which one) and we met at a point where we both had to stop to get past each other.  Quick as a flash I said "Have you done your five hundred miles yet?"  The look I got suggested I wasn't the first to have thought of that line.

3aec56c4d9c8be670d44c8f61279051b.jpg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at QM Union in Glasgow with a mate years ago. There was usually a band on and this night The Cult were playing. Never heard of them(before they were famous and just changed name from Southern Death Cult). It was half price vodka night and queue for bar was massive. After waiting about 45 minutes in queue we got to front of the bar only for shutters to be closed and bar staff saying 'the band are just coming on'. The route from the dressing room to stage was past the front of the bar. About half an hour later (probably 10 minutes) the band stroll past. I shouts 'you'd better be fucking good' to Astbury(singer) at which point Duffy(guitarist) takes offence and squares up to me and my mate. My mate was built like a brick shithouse so a mexican standoff ensues with miniscule Astbury trying to get involved too. There was a bit of a kerfuffle and bouncers separated us. Didn't want to like them after that but their set was cracking so they obviously listened to my sound advice.

Met the remaining members of Procul Harum in the bar at Atlanta airport a couple of years ago, I had no clue who they were but they seemed to be getting a lot of attention, so I asked the barkeep who they were. He told me, and unlike most who have told famous people / bar stories in this thread, I didn't act like a p***k & verbally abuse them. They quite happily allowed me to get photographs taken with them & one of the session players bought me a beer for being so courteous. I must be doing it wrong....

4 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Met the remaining members of Procul Harum in the bar at Atlanta airport a couple of years ago, I had no clue who they were but they seemed to be getting a lot of attention, so I asked the barkeep who they were. He told me, and unlike most who have told famous people / bar stories in this thread, I didn't act like a p***k & verbally abuse them. They quite happily allowed me to get photographs taken with them & one of the session players bought me a beer for being so courteous. I must be doing it wrong....

The big question here is why you would want to get photographs taken with a band you'd never heard of?

1 minute ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

I didn't say I'd never heard of them, I said I didn't know who they were, I maybe should have clarified that they have changed a little in the last 40 odd years, hence my confusion.

1 minute they were top of the charts with Whiter Shade of Pale, the next they were kidnapping school girls in Africa. More than a little change....

1 minute ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Indeed, and when you view the photograph of them, you'll understand my confusion.

IMG_1493287011.438751.jpg

I had no idea they were Celtic fans.

In 1975, I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat with a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair. It was the seventies; buckaroo! When I sat down on the chair, I looked up and realised it was none other than Peter Purves. It was the height of his Blue Peter fame. He said, "You jammy b*****d!" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh. 

Ahaha I was reading this thread literally thinking of this and then you delivered. Well done sir.

I actually think I need to withdraw my previous comments about not acting like an arsehole with celebrities in a pub......but, I'll let the P&B masses decide.

Mid nineties, I was heading off on holiday to Ibiza with a number of friends & our collective better halves.
We met in a rather fantastic pub, right on the quayside in Gourdon, aptly named "The Harbour Bar"
At that time, both Andy Gorams spent time their visiting a friend of his, to I'd imagine, remove themselves from the cauldron of West Coast pubs.
Unfortunately, he/they seemed to crow about their position in life (a crippled alcoholic) and how it made it impossible for him to drink peaceably in Glasgow.
Anyway, I already thought he was a massive w****r, so when he offered to buy all the impending holiday makers, I think 22 of us, a drink before we left, I politely said no thanks.
He then called me an ungrateful ******. So, I guess he fell out with me, so he qualifies.

7 hours ago, Ross. said:

The talk of football players at nightclubs brought back a memory. Nacho Novo in his Dundee days, in Word Up in Greenock with his missus and a few dodgy looking mates. They had decided to declare one area of the main bar their very own VIP section and took great offence at me and a few guys I worked with walking up to "his" bit of the bar in order to get served. Words were exchanged and the bouncers had to have a word. I, and the guys I was in with, were on good terms with the bar staff and doormen on account of working in another pub in Greenock. Bouncers pretty much told them to shut it and stop acting like arseholes.

Novo was eventually barred from Word Up for causing a similar incident every time he was there.

27 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Novo was eventually barred from Word Up for causing a similar incident every time he was there.

Can't say I'm overly surprised by this revelation. It was actually a fairly comical attempt at a square go from their point of view. They were fairly aggressive and in our face until the the last of my mates joined us having gone straight to the toilet when we entered. Big John was an absolute unit and regularly caused folk to calm down when it was obvious whose side he was on. Was only after he appeared that the bouncers decided to intervene, by which point Novo and his pals had shat their pants anyway.

When I were a lad...on a bus in Dundee in the early 80s and I spotted Tosh McKinlay and Ian Ferguson walking through the town centre looking like the pop stars that they were.  I banged on the bus window to get their attention and was about to give them the thumbs up, when they heard the noise and automatically flicked the vics without even looking to see if they were about to get praise or abuse.

I can only assume that as Utd were on the up in the city in those days, most youngsters would have been DABs and giving them abuse.

Archived