What next for Facebook?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Facebook is for attention seeking roasters.
"I'm buying a new shirt", "I'm on holiday in Benidorm", "Here's pictures of my fat, ugly weans".
No one cares.

Close it down.

Is Facebook not just a representation of your social circle?

Ponder that. Smiley lol.

On a slight tangent, what do folk here see as the future for FB? Will it still be as popular in 5-10 years for example? (this is what I thought the thread would be about tbh).

I for one could easily see the younger generations hit breaking point regarding all their mums / aunties / grans following their every move and posting 'beautiful x' on every picture of them.

In ten years it'll have been largely abandoned like yesterday's jam, joining Club MySpace/Bebo, imo.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

On a slight tangent, what do folk here see as the future for FB? Will it still be as popular in 5-10 years for example? (this is what I thought the thread would be about tbh).

I for one could easily see the younger generations hit breaking point regarding all their mums / aunties / grans following their every move and posting 'beautiful x' on every picture of them.

In ten years it'll have been largely abandoned like yesterday's jam, joining Club MySpace/Bebo, imo.

There will be people happy to have their every living moment recorded, mapped and shared with anyone interested, and other retro types who go back to human contact and the occasional phone or text.

Facebook will still be a thing in 10 and 20 years time with a big chunk of the worlds population still on board IMO. You will have adults by then who's entire life's have been documented on it so I doubt they will be so quick to lose interest altogether in it. Just my opinion though so f**k knows, I always assume other people view social media in the same way as me but plenty of people I know are perfectly happy to document their every move on Facebook for the world to see and I don't really see that changing any time soon.

You will have adults by then who's entire life's have been documented on it so I doubt they will be so quick to lose interest altogether in it. Just my opinion though so f**k knows

I guess there will be a notable number wanting to do this, but not particularly fussed what the actual platform is.

For example, I was a frequent user of Bebo and resisted the move to FB like a good number of Scots / Irish for a good while. However, when there were few left having committed the jump, change for me was inevitable.

Yeah I was the same about Bebo but the format was shit, there was no general newsfeed and it was just comments on an individuals page. I suppose they could have changed that in time if they still had the numbers using it but Facebook was a better format available at the time.

I don't know how technology and social media will advance further from now, short of teleportation I'm not sure what there is left to move towards. I just don't like Facebook as I don't care what other people are doing with their time, forums are more enjoyable and you don't have to worry about falling out with the people in your real life.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Facebook will still be a thing in 10 and 20 years time with a big chunk of the worlds population still on board IMO. You will have adults by then who's entire life's have been documented on it so I doubt they will be so quick to lose interest altogether in it. Just my opinion though so f**k knows, I always assume other people view social media in the same way as me but plenty of people I know are perfectly happy to document their every move on Facebook for the world to see and I don't really see that changing any time soon.

You'll have trended as a death w**k way before then.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Yeah I was the same about Bebo but the format was shit, there was no general newsfeed and it was just comments on an individuals page. I suppose they could have changed that in time if they still had the numbers using it but Facebook was a better format available at the time.

I don't know how technology and social media will advance further from now, short of teleportation I'm not sure what there is left to move towards. I just don't like Facebook as I don't care what other people are doing with their time, forums are more enjoyable and you don't have to worry about falling out with the people in your real life.

They are working on virtual reality for Messenger so that rather than talking to a 2d screen there will be a hologram of whoever you're talking to sat next to you. 

The First World Problems thread should be good value when that gets released.

Archived