Queen's Park -vs- Stenhousemuir

A battle of epic proportions awaits as upwardly mobile Queen's Park take on a Stenhousemuir side in the fight of their lives at Hampden on Saturday. The Spiders very much have the Warriors' number this season, winning all three encounters at Ochilview in comfortable fashion, but Stenny can take some heart from the fact their last visit to the national stadium yielded one of their best performances of the season as they ran out 3-0 winners. Can lightening strike twice, or will Queen's Park win for a fourth time and consign their visitors to relegation?

Stenhousemuir were pretty handy in the 1-0 win over Peterhead last weekend. It was ugly and attritional but I don't think anyone can fault the side's hard work and commitment to the cause. A similar effort will be required to overcome a Queen's Park side who continue to punch above their weight and have their eyes on the promotion play-offs.

I see no reason to change last week's winning team (unless someone informs me below about suspensions and unavailability) and I imagine the management will continue with the 3-5-2 formation:

- McMenamin - Shaw -

- Furtado - Gilhaney - Millar - Berry - Duthie -

- Marsh - Kerr - Robertson -

- Bowman -

Don't see why we can't win this match but we really have to be smarter against defenders like Bryan Wharton and Ryan McGeever. Those big lugs will header balls all day long so there'll be an onus on Willis Furtado and Connor Duthie working some magic out on the flanks. The spark won't come from the middle of the park, where we're more dogged than creative, and so we'll have to get balls out wide and towards the byline. Easier said than done!

I'm looking forward to this match, I enjoy the trips to Hampden and I like Queen's Park as a club. I hope Stenhousemuir win and Livingston do us a favour by bodying Peterhead and bump them down to the foot of the table come 4:50pm.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the last opponents I'd want to be playing at the weekend, purely because it's difficult to play against sides fighting for their lives at this late stage of the season. Would almost rather be playing against one of the other sides going for 3rd/4th. Think we can write Saturday off as "one of those days." We looked excellent in the early stages and should have been ahead. Totally lost heid after being denied a stonewaller and losing a goal. Gus sent to the stand, hit the bar, lost a soft goal, threw guys forward and lost another couple. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.

McGeever will certainly be playing, but I don't think Wharton will. Young Cammy Foy has come in and looked decent alongside Cummins and McGeever, but I suppose it's possible that Gus will give him a wee rest over a run of games. From our perspective, we just need to approach the match in the manner that we have done for most of the season. We're not an easy side to play against and have a few handy players going forward as well. I hope the players can at least take this down to the wire and hopefully even get the job done. Irrespective of what happens, we've had a fantastic season.

52 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

About five hours before you get relegated.

41 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

Next season?

Stunning banter from the ladz here.

Absolutely stunning.

Really looking forward to this - as FF says - it is set up to be a belter with both sides still having things to play for.

Pressure totally off for the QP fans now we're definitely staying up. Despite us competing at the right end of the table there was still a sense of achievement mixed with relief when we heard the Peterhead score last week. However, knowing this team and the standards set, the players will be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 4. You could see how down most of them were when they trudged off the pitch last week. That second half performance was most unlike us.

We've been very strong at home this season, the only team to give us a going over at Hampden has been - of course - Stennie. Will be surprised if there is a repeat tomorrow. Reckon the scoreline will be pretty tight

I see Cummins and Mitchell are both out tomorrow so that'll be Wharton back in centre defence with Burns maybe moving to the right with McIlduff on the left. Unless he goes a flat back 4 with Wharton on the right

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

No mention of whether Millen was fit or not. Any word?

I just assumed he was out for the season as he was spotted at a game with crutches. 

Re. Orsi. Not sure how accurate this is but someone said he's been playing on a Friday night for St Mirren 20s hence lack of starts on a Saturday.  Would be tempted to chuck him in tomorrow if he's fresh and available 

3 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

I just assumed he was out for the season as he was spotted at a game with crutches. 

Re. Orsi. Not sure how accurate this is but someone said he's been playing on a Friday night for St Mirren 20s hence lack of starts on a Saturday.  Would be tempted to chuck him in tomorrow if he's fresh and available 

Cheers. Hellish end to a good season for Millen if that's the case. Would be happy to see Wharton getting a run again though.

Archived