• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I beg your pardon, I should have checked the table on statto.com before assuming Airdrieonians topped the table that weekend. I do remember it was close at the time at the defeat was perhaps the turning point in their season, from title challengers to play-off strugglers.

I wouldn't have said it was the only factor in the loss - Airdrie had defended miserably in the first half and big Daniel Boateng's dismissal right before the interval was compounded by Alan Cook scoring from the subsequent free-kick - but if you're losing 3-0 with another 45 minutes to play with 10 men and a night out to look forward to, would the players play with the same heart, would they pile into 50/50 challenges, would they work as hard to close down? I don't know.

The defending for Carlos Mazana-Martinez's goal, the fifth goal, was some of the worst I've seen from an opposition side this season.

If we finish bottom, there's absolutely no doubt we're the poorest team in the league, part time or otherwise. "The league table doesn't lie" as they say.

Thanks for the reply and glad to see where I could have found that info. a lot quicker.  Also to Livi Forever for his help. I think you are right it was not the only factor but much of our defending throughout the season was very similar; just as well we had two high scorers. I also don't think you were the poorest team in the League when you played us, so sadly I might have to hope you don't survive. I do prefer Ochilview to Peterhead's Balmoor for a visit so I am mixed up and hope you do survive!

15 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for the reply and glad to see where I could have found that info. a lot quicker.  Also to Livi Forever for his help. I think you are right it was not the only factor but much of our defending throughout the season was very similar; just as well we had two high scorers. I also don't think you were the poorest team in the League when you played us, so sadly I might have to hope you don't survive. I do prefer Ochilview to Peterhead's Balmoor for a visit so I am mixed up and hope you do survive!

Weirdo. :lol:

Just now, strichener said:

Weirdo. :lol:

Having experienced that windy stadium at least twice in recent years, and the long haul through Aberdeen it was a close run thing. Mind you your chips at the stall were excellent. Given your attendances this season it would seem many away fans agree? I did say I was mixed up and that probably is the best I can think of-We did get the great Andy Smith from Peterhead so I apologise

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Having experienced that windy stadium at least twice in recent years, and the long haul through Aberdeen it was a close run thing. Mind you your chips at the stall were excellent. Given your attendances this season it would seem many away fans agree? I did say I was mixed up and that probably is the best I can think of-We did get the great Andy Smith from Peterhead so I apologise

No apologies needed.  Also, I don't think you have to look at the away fans for the drop in attendances this year.

Just now, strichener said:

No apologies needed.  Also, I don't think you have to look at the away fans for the drop in attendances this year.

So it has really been a bad year for you?; If I am correct, it all seemed to be going so well until that Cup defeat to Rangers. What has gone wrong at your club? I can see why we have toiled over the last year due to erratic management and changes, but have you stayed too loyal to Jim Mac?

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

So it has really been a bad year for you?; If I am correct, it all seemed to be going so well until that Cup defeat to Rangers. What has gone wrong at your club? I can see why we have toiled over the last year due to erratic management and changes, but have you stayed too loyal to Jim Mac?

The problems were visible well before the Rangers defeat.  Last year we went on a great run of 19 unbeaten or so but even then we were riding our luck and coming out of games as undeserving winners.  Then (IMO) the manager made the biggest mistake of his time here and offered all the existing players new contracts before the season was out.  Many of them had done little to earn that contract and as this season has shown, still haven't.

A look forward to a clear out of the team and management this year.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

The problems were visible well before the Rangers defeat.  Last year we went on a great run of 19 unbeaten or so but even then we were riding our luck and coming out of games as undeserving winners.  Then (IMO) the manager made the biggest mistake of his time here and offered all the existing players new contracts before the season was out.  Many of them had done little to earn that contract and as this season has shown, still haven't.

A look forward to a clear out of the team and management this year.

I was probably taken in by that great run which we only see in posts etc. Will wait to see if the clearout happens.( Also with our failures)

45 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

statto.com is one of the best football websites, I couldn't recommend it enough. Hugely helpful when it comes to writing historical articles or looking back at form and trend over the course of a season. Airdrieonians took on Stenhousemuir on Saturday 10 December; here's the league table going into the match:

58ff91a53b8bf_ScreenShot2017-04-25at19_11_36.thumb.png.3f7e16b7ef2c1ffd6b41780aec8662de.png

And here's the league table three days afterwards when Livingston had played their game in hand (coincidentally, also against Stenhousemuir):

58ff91be283c3_ScreenShot2017-04-25at19_11_47.thumb.png.030039b05077fb54734cf37c45a59490.png

That match was definitely the turning point in the Diamonds season, no doubt about it.

Peterhead are the worst team I've seen this season - we've taken 10 points from 12 against them! - but they're still likely to finish above us. If only we could play them and Airdrie every week, the world would be a simpler place.

The turning point for Airdrie was when we had lost to Queens Park at home 2-1 and then on Hogmanay 2-1 away to East Fife. They had to play Albion Rovers at home to close the gap to four points, instead they lost 2-1 and never got near us again.

34 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

statto.com is one of the best football websites, I couldn't recommend it enough. Hugely helpful when it comes to writing historical articles or looking back at form and trend over the course of a season. Airdrieonians took on Stenhousemuir on Saturday 10 December; here's the league table going into the match:

58ff91a53b8bf_ScreenShot2017-04-25at19_11_36.thumb.png.3f7e16b7ef2c1ffd6b41780aec8662de.png

And here's the league table three days afterwards when Livingston had played their game in hand (coincidentally, also against Stenhousemuir):

58ff91be283c3_ScreenShot2017-04-25at19_11_47.thumb.png.030039b05077fb54734cf37c45a59490.png

That match was definitely the turning point in the Diamonds season, no doubt about it.

Peterhead are the worst team I've seen this season - we've taken 10 points from 12 against them! - but they're still likely to finish above us. If only we could play them and Airdrie every week, the world would be a simpler place.

Makes my attempt to go back through old programmes etc seem from an analog age. The turning point was that period indeed and the new set up had a lot to do with it. Will remember the site when I check to see how we compared in terms of clean sheets-worst in the league with four/worst goals against/worst radio Pundits

Covering this game today. Livi put out a full-strength side the last time I saw them (v Stenny), just after they were confirmed as champions and they remained very competitive. Even with a makeshift line-up.

But the away side has won this fixture on all three occasions this season and it seems that almost every time a side has a party planned for after the match, they lose that match.

I see what you're saying, Afro, but in my own experience any part-time side who has a night out planned after the match tend to do poorly. For instance, Airdrieonians were top of the league in the middle of December when Stenhousemuir, sitting bottom, thrashed them 5-0. Airdrie had their Christmas night out in Dublin (I think) arranged for after the game and it was very obvious their minds were elsewhere.
That's in the middle of the season when there's still everything to play for; what now, when the title's won?

Not just part-time sides. Hibs lost to Hearts the day they were planning to parade the League Cup afterwards. There's other examples that escape me right now.

38 minutes ago, Threeattheback said:

Covering this game today. Livi put out a full-strength side the last time I saw them (v Stenny), just after they were confirmed as champions and they remained very competitive. Even with a makeshift line-up.

But the away side has won this fixture on all three occasions this season and it seems that almost every time a side has a party planned for after the match, they lose that match.

33 minutes ago, Threeattheback said:

Not just part-time sides. Hibs lost to Hearts the day they were planning to parade the League Cup afterwards. There's other examples that escape me right now.

Hey stop trying to bring a dark cloud to the party, the birds are singing, it's sunny outside, lets have a partyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Archived