Would expect us to have a full strength team with it being the cup presentation game. And with no pressure we're playing some lovely free flowing football, should be a good competitive game as we haven't taken our foot off the gas.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Would expect us to have a full strength team with it being the cup presentation game. And with no pressure we're playing some lovely free flowing football, should be a good competitive game as we haven't taken our foot off the gas.

You obviously haven't watched Peterhead lately.

We'll be wanting to win this game with us getting the trophy and having POTY at night afterwards, don't want to put a slight dampener on it. 

It's a huge game for Peterhead as well and let's not forget they came to Livi and beat us earlier in the season. 

Be interesting to see how we line up in this one, i recon we might see a cameo appearance from Mikey Miller if we are winning comfortably too, heard he's back training. 

I'm a bit worried about this match. All signs point to Livingston absolutely bodying Peterhead but I worry the home side might not approach the match with the competitiveness I'm hoping for - will David Hopkin play a shadow side? Do the Livi players have a party planned for afterwards? Will they play with the intensity they would have done before the title was won? How up for it will they be against a side scrapping at the bottom of the table?

Come on, lads, do your old pals at Ochilview a favour!

20 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm a bit worried about this match. All signs point to Livingston absolutely bodying Peterhead but I worry the home side might not approach the match with the competitiveness I'm hoping for - will David Hopkin play a shadow side? Do the Livi players have a party planned for afterwards? Will they play with the intensity they would have done before the title was won? How up for it will they be against a side scrapping at the bottom of the table?

Come on, lads, do your old pals at Ochilview a favour!

I would imagine we'll be playing the strongest side as possible, given that our last two games have saw us put out fringe sides to save the best XI from suspensions. Granted, psychologically, teams in my experience never play as strong as they do when their is something left to win - that said, I'm sure that Hopkin will be gunning for us to beat Peterhead given what is happening after the game.

Certainly, if Saturday was an indicator of if we have downed tools then the answer is a resounding no.*

Spoiler

*Cue a Peterhead win.

11 minutes ago, Afro said:

I would imagine we'll be playing the strongest side as possible, given that our last two games have saw us put out fringe sides to save the best XI from suspensions. Granted, psychologically, teams in my experience never play as strong as they do when their is something left to win - that said, I'm sure that Hopkin will be gunning for us to beat Peterhead given what is happening after the game.

Certainly, if Saturday was an indicator of if we have downed tools then the answer is a resounding no.*

Reveal hidden contents

*Cue a Peterhead win.

I see what you're saying, Afro, but in my own experience any part-time side who has a night out planned after the match tend to do poorly. For instance, Airdrieonians were top of the league in the middle of December when Stenhousemuir, sitting bottom, thrashed them 5-0. Airdrie had their Christmas night out in Dublin (I think) arranged for after the game and it was very obvious their minds were elsewhere.

That's in the middle of the season when there's still everything to play for; what now, when the title's won?

19 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I see what you're saying, Afro, but in my own experience any part-time side who has a night out planned after the match tend to do poorly. For instance, Airdrieonians were top of the league in the middle of December when Stenhousemuir, sitting bottom, thrashed them 5-0. Airdrie had their Christmas night out in Dublin (I think) arranged for after the game and it was very obvious their minds were elsewhere.

That's in the middle of the season when there's still everything to play for; what now, when the title's won?

A good point, tbh. I'm hoping that the presentation of the league title is motivation rather than distraction, and that decent performances in the last two games of the season will seal new contracts for a few. Perhaps wishful thinking, but we'll just have to wait until Saturday to see.

1 minute ago, Afro said:

A good point, tbh. I'm hoping that the presentation of the league title is motivation rather than distraction, and that decent performances in the last two games of the season will seal new contracts for a few. Perhaps wishful thinking, but we'll just have to wait until Saturday to see.

You would imagine Livingston have enough about them to see off a rank Peterhead side but you never know - who would have thought they'd lose to them at Almondvale earlier in the season? Who knows what might happen - while a night out is certainly something to look forward to, professional pride, win bonuses and the hard fact that Livi are a far superior team to their opponents will play their part.

Also, I realised I referred to Airdrieonians as a "part-time side" in my earlier post - judging by how poor they've been over the course of the season, you'd never have imagined they're a full-time team!

17 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

You would imagine Livingston have enough about them to see off a rank Peterhead side but you never know - who would have thought they'd lose to them at Almondvale earlier in the season? Who knows what might happen - while a night out is certainly something to look forward to, professional pride, win bonuses and the hard fact that Livi are a far superior team to their opponents will play their part.

Also, I realised I referred to Airdrieonians as a "part-time side" in my earlier post - judging by how poor they've been over the course of the season, you'd never have imagined they're a full-time team!

Stop fretting man.  Never mind Livi, put your trust in Peterhead and you won't be disappointed.

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hopkin has had us playing pretty consistently all season, which is why we're sitting top of the league. He's never let the players get carried away or dropped their standards, I was actually surprised at how committed we were last week against QP, still scoring our 4th goal in the 90th minute. He was making sure we'd have everyone available for this game so the regular players would be playing in the game we lifted the trophy, so i'm expecting us to have a strong team out against you.

Anything can happen in football right enough but I doubt we'll be taking this game lightly, the players will be wanting to finish the season on a 9 game winning streak.

Just now, Afro said:

Buchanan will be bursting to score a goal too, after being left out of the starting 11 last week and not scoring, he's the SPFL top goal scorer and will be wanting to get another couple of goals to try and stay there.

Thought last weekend was incredible, we scored our 4th goal and still our midfield closed down and pressured the QP players from kick off with just a minute or two left. 

The team is totally committed to winning games despite the job being done already, anyone who critisized Hopkin just needs to look at that and see how much they are playing for him. 

53 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Thought last weekend was incredible, we scored our 4th goal and still our midfield closed down and pressured the QP players from kick off with just a minute or two left. 

The team is totally committed to winning games despite the job being done already, anyone who critisized Hopkin just needs to look at that and see how much they are playing for him. 

This is what we want to hear in the FK5 postcode. More of the same at the weekend.

FF:

"I see what you're saying, Afro, but in my own experience any part-time side who has a night out planned after the match tend to do poorly. For instance, Airdrieonians were top of the league in the middle of December when Stenhousemuir, sitting bottom, thrashed them 5-0. Airdrie had their Christmas night out in Dublin (I think) arranged for after the game and it was very obvious their minds were elsewhere.

That's in the middle of the season when there's still everything to play for; what now, when the title's won?"

Don't disagree with you on how poor we are as a FT Club. I might be wrong but I don't think we were top on that day as I think Livingston had 30 points and we were on 29? If indeed the prospect of a visit to Dublin led to that 0-5 score, it would reveal a lot about how poor our management has been. Alan Cook might be a more reasonable explanation that day and a 10 men tactical master failure by MW. If you stay bottom would that mean you were the poorest of the PT teams?

24 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

FF:

"I see what you're saying, Afro, but in my own experience any part-time side who has a night out planned after the match tend to do poorly. For instance, Airdrieonians were top of the league in the middle of December when Stenhousemuir, sitting bottom, thrashed them 5-0. Airdrie had their Christmas night out in Dublin (I think) arranged for after the game and it was very obvious their minds were elsewhere.

That's in the middle of the season when there's still everything to play for; what now, when the title's won?"

Don't disagree with you on how poor we are as a FT Club. I might be wrong but I don't think we were top on that day as I think Livingston had 30 points and we were on 29? If indeed the prospect of a visit to Dublin led to that 0-5 score, it would reveal a lot about how poor our management has been. Alan Cook might be a more reasonable explanation that day and a 10 men tactical master failure by MW. If you stay bottom would that mean you were the poorest of the PT teams?

Yep, Airdrie were on 29 points and Livi 30 points and we had a game in hand. The week after your Stenny defeat you played Livi and lost 2-0 and we moved 10 points clear because we had played the game in hand against Stenny midweek and beaten them 4-0..

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I beg your pardon, I should have checked the table on statto.com before assuming Airdrieonians topped the table that weekend. I do remember it was close at the time at the defeat was perhaps the turning point in their season, from title challengers to play-off strugglers.

I wouldn't have said it was the only factor in the loss - Airdrie had defended miserably in the first half and big Daniel Boateng's dismissal right before the interval was compounded by Alan Cook scoring from the subsequent free-kick - but if you're losing 3-0 with another 45 minutes to play with 10 men and a night out to look forward to, would the players play with the same heart, would they pile into 50/50 challenges, would they work as hard to close down? I don't know.

The defending for Carlos Mazana-Martinez's goal, the fifth goal, was some of the worst I've seen from an opposition side this season.

If we finish bottom, there's absolutely no doubt we're the poorest team in the league, part time or otherwise. "The league table doesn't lie" as they say.

Archived