East Fife vs Airdrieonians

13 minutes ago, rough diamond said:

Looking at the last day connotations, as it stands, we are even on points (46) and GD (-6) with Brechin in joint 3rd, East Fife are 5th on 43 with -2 GD. Finally QP are also on 43pts but here's the thing!

We get a better result than Brechin we finish above them and we're in the play off, even if we both lose as long as we lose by less.

We get 1 point and we finish above EF in a playoff place.

But!

We lose, Brechin get a better result than us and EF win then we're 5th unless QP beat us by 4 then we could be 6th.

Championship looks just as close, Ayr are straight down (GD is too big) and Raith have them next week, if Raith win and neither Dumbarton or St Mirren take a point, Raith will finish above them, problem for them is they have Falkirk and Hibs respectively, tasty!

Correct. Told you maths wasn't my strong point. Carried away by today. Even so odds must be in our favour. Famous last words.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote of the Year...
'It pains me to say it, as how shit do you have to be to make Airdrie look like 1970 Brazil but they were well worth their win today, so we'll done Airdrie and good luck in the playoffs!!!'

Thank you King.

First of all let me say well done to Airdrie, they fully deserved their win today and probably saved us from an embarrassing play off (I know we are still in the mix but!!!!!!!!!!).

Airdrie shaded the first half and deserved to be one up? Andy Ryan is a natural goal scorer but does tend to moan a bit. I am not saying that we would have come back from 1-0 down in the second half but the referee totally killed us with a red card and penalty for which I, as a former referee am still wondering about ( can any Airdrie fans shed any light on why, I thought it might have been a hand ball but only guessing).

We were certainly clueless down to 10 men and 2 nil down, Airdrie took full advantage and played a very good passing game and got another 2 goals without much trouble. I assume they will stay in the play off place so good luck to them.

just an observation of the season as a whole, the standard of officials in the First and Second divisions and in fact in Scotland is atrocious. It's little wonder our officials are overlooked at World Cups, European Finals and suchlike. If the lower divisions are the future of refereeing then heaven  help us. By the way I am not saying that only East Fife have suffered from poor officiating, I am sure that the rest have as well. Common sense does not prevail amongst many of the referees nowadays.

The big baldy guy at the back for Airdrie is a class act and was solid as a rock. That's a right proper defender.

No complaints. Beaten by a much better side but still happy with our season. Naysmith left us a threadbare squad and it shows.

Swept aside by a much better side and I have no complaints. It's hard not to be disappointed but with our injuries we are lucky the season is over as we would go down with that team, no doubt about it. Good luck to Airdrie in the play offs, especially if you get they manky lino b*****ds.

While the penalty and red card were utterly inexplicable - even Airdrie players and coaches seemed surprised - I'm not sure the final result would have been different if they hadn't been given.
As others have said the amount of long term injuries we've had meant we just didn't have the resources to keep our good performances going.
Well done Airdrie who took full advantage of the situation.
Mind you, still not completely over!

Andy bloody Ryan. 

Any chance we can coax Jim McLean out of retirement to replace Dalziel and get Ryan on one of Jims infamous contracts 

f**k employment law, f**k Jean Marc Bosman and all he stands for!!!!

Didn't expect us to score with our attacking options severely limited. Sending off and penalty looked very harsh and Airdrie strolled it thereafter. Too many key players out or not fully fit but boy were we inept today. Don't recall their keeper having anything to do.

Best of luck to Airdrie as think they'll make playoffs now.

54 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

The big baldy guy at the back for Airdrie is a class act and was solid as a rock. That's a right proper defender.

No complaints. Beaten by a much better side but still happy with our season. Naysmith left us a threadbare squad and it shows.

He couldn't possibly be talking about Mensing could he?

Excellent team performance the red card and the penalty had a big impact on the match. We were the better team even before the penalty however no team is ever comfortable at 1 nil.

Standouts for me today were , Gorman, Mensing, Stewart , McDonald, Conroy, Ryan , Russell.

Loudon looks prospect abd impressed short time on the pitch.

56 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

The baldy part sounds like Mensing but canny be him going by the rest of your post.:unsure2:

5 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The baldy part sounds like Mensing but canny be him going by the rest of your post.:unsure2:

ha, I thought he had a cracking game today. Maybe just a one off if not highly thought off.

2 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

First of all let me say well done to Airdrie, they fully deserved their win today and probably saved us from an embarrassing play off (I know we are still in the mix but!!!!!!!!!!).

Airdrie shaded the first half and deserved to be one up? Andy Ryan is a natural goal scorer but does tend to moan a bit. I am not saying that we would have come back from 1-0 down in the second half but the referee totally killed us with a red card and penalty for which I, as a former referee am still wondering about ( can any Airdrie fans shed any light on why, I thought it might have been a hand ball but only guessing).

We were certainly clueless down to 10 men and 2 nil down, Airdrie took full advantage and played a very good passing game and got another 2 goals without much trouble. I assume they will stay in the play off place so good luck to them.

just an observation of the season as a whole, the standard of officials in the First and Second divisions and in fact in Scotland is atrocious. It's little wonder our officials are overlooked at World Cups, European Finals and suchlike. If the lower divisions are the future of refereeing then heaven  help us. By the way I am not saying that only East Fife have suffered from poor officiating, I am sure that the rest have as well. Common sense does not prevail amongst many of the referees nowadays.

First time seeing this Ref and not on a par with Northcroft/Charleson for gaffes but I also was puzzled about the penalty decision. As the cross came in Ryan certainly misheaded a good chance and we groaned. It was a surprise then to see a penalty award. I can only guess that Kane had either pulled his jersey?/held him down/shoved him and never saw the Ref indicate hand ball. Although the usual defenders protested it did not seem as if they were too annoyed/ The Red Card suggests "denying a clear goal opportunity". That probably does not help you but the highlights might? I thought we did deserve to be ahead and EF seemed perplexed by the windy conditions and clearly missed Page and duggan.

1 hour ago, Cooper81 said:

Excellent team performance the red card and the penalty had a big impact on the match. We were the better team even before the penalty however no team is ever comfortable at 1 nil.

Standouts for me today were , Gorman, Mensing, Stewart , McDonald, Conroy, Ryan , Russell.

Loudon looks prospect abd impressed short time on the pitch.

Agree and even Brown despite his lightness(?) managed to win a challenge in the air/worked really hard. Leitch got the time and space to play when Hutton went off but I don't see him as an answer to either midfield or support to front two, and I would keep Brown in. Loudon was impressive and you have to wonder why we have such a light bench at this time. Glad ryan is on contract.

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Agree and even Brown despite his lightness(?) managed to win a challenge in the air/worked really hard. Leitch got the time and space to play when Hutton went off but I don't see him as an answer to either midfield or support to front two, and I would keep Brown in. Loudon was impressive and you have to wonder why we have such a light bench at this time. Glad ryan is on contract.

Brown has good ability and had a decent game but he has to learn to not bottle out of challanges because sometimes bottling out of a Challange can just be as dangerous as going in for a 50/50 Challange. Brown had a good game and also switching Brown and Russell positions during the game worked.

Archived